What's new

Flipper on DVD (1 Viewer)

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Radioman970 said:
It says double-sided in that report. 30 eps, 4 double-sided. :frowning:
I know the Universal DVD18s were nothing but trouble and a crap shoot, but the last two TV on DVD series that I have watched have been on double sided discs (The Big Valley and Bones) and I never had a glitch or even a stutter.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
MarkHastings said:
More Alba than you can shake a stick at.
Which Flipper is being released? I thought it was the 1960s series and not the Jessica Alba remake. As much as I like to look at Jessica Alba, I want the original series.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Doug^Ch said:
I know the Universal DVD18s were nothing but trouble and a crap shoot, but the last two TV on DVD series that I have watched have been on double sided discs (The Big Valley and Bones) and I never had a glitch or even a stutter.
I always have problems with those DVD18s. Just recently it was the Lord of the Rings TC/EE releases. But I have a cheap RCA player that's on the way out anyway. My PC is fine with everything, but I have my eye on an Oppo. ;) Oppo sounds like he could be one of flipper's whale friends. :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
You can now pre-order Flipper Original series Season 1 at several places on the net including amazon.com and deepdiscountdvd.com. It's $25-28 shipped. We're a few months away (4/24) from 30 episodes of classic fishy shenanigans!
Eee! Eee! Eee! Eee! (as "The Big F" would say)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Me too! Even though deepdiscountdvd's description is suspect...heh!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
FLIPPER ORIGINAL SERIES-1ST SEASON
Description
A tender British comedy about a young girl who gets into trouble after she brings a package of rubbers belonging to her late father to school, mistaking them for unusual balloons.
  • Title: FLIPPER ORIGINAL SERIES-1ST SEASON
  • Director:
  • Year: 0
  • Language: English
  • Closed Captioned: N
  • UPC: 027616072535
  • Item Number: MGD007253D
They seem to have the right product for order....just quite a bit messed up on what it actually is. I wrote them about the error and said I wanted the one with the rubber dolphin. Good for a laugh though....

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Just reminding everybody to go pick up Season One of Flipper so I...erm, I mean WE can get the whole series on DVD eventually. It's ready for mail order purchase and should also be on the shelves.
Anybody seen/done a review of these yet?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine was just mailed from Columbia House. They're slow. I plan to watch only few of these on the weekends. 30 should keep me going until S2 comes out. :)
I saw that same review the other day. Nice idea to post it here. Those screen shots alone could sell a lot of copies to posters here. The few eps I have on tape are so washed out and out of focus looking. This will really be a treat in comparison since I doubt it's ever looked that good on any medium before, including when it first aired and most people only had B&W tvs.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I would highly recommend season 1 to anybody that is interested in Flipper. The picture quality on these is outstanding considering it is a show from 1964-65. They did some high quality underwater filming for the show (or at least used high quality stock footage, I don't know which). The episodes themselves hold up well and for the most part don't seem very dated. My boys, who often haven't liked some of the old shows from the 60's that I enjoyed as a kid, really are enjoying Flipper.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jim, that's a "10-4" on your post :) I'm viewing this set now and as you said, the xfrs are A+ . I remember watching this one as a kid and it does hold up very well.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The episodes just keep getting better and better. Such a wonderful, simple time. I've really been enjoying them. I didn't remember the dad being so strict. He comes off almost hot-headed at time. But he's raising 2 sons and he's trying to keep them in line. Huuummmm...maybe some parents could learn something from this show too.
Can't wait until Season 2 is at least announced.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The picture quality was indeed phenomenal. I showed it off to a few friends, who were stunned by how good it looked (of course, in the past, this was a series whose syndicated prints had always looked pretty weak). It was also nice to see some early appearances by folks like Lynda Day, Barbara Feldon and Jessica Walter, in these episodes. I also took note of Marshall Thompson and Cheryl Miller each making an appearance in this first season, before graduating to Tors' following series, "Daktari."

Anyway, I just have a handful of episodes left to view, and I certainly hope the 2nd-season is on the radar screen... along with other Tors' series, like the aforementioned "Daktari," and "Gentle Ben." Heck, for that matter, add "Cowboy in Africa" into the mix as well.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Are there any episodes in season 1 that have an Everglades air boat in them? Looks like in season 2 there is an episode where the boys buy one, but we haven't seen them halfway through season 1. I always thought those boats looked cool with the flat base and the big fan in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks