FLINTSTONES ON BLU-RAY

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Timothy E, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I've not bought any of the DVD sets, but I will buy this on Bluray if/when it happens. Do a complete set at a fair price and be done with it. No need to farm out by the season. I think the market has shown that people prefer classic TV shows in complete form. Or not, I prefer it anyways. :P

2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Happy with my DVDs of the show. But..... yep, I'd probably be all over some blu rays when money is better. If it improves things. To me it looks fine on DVD, better than it did when I first started watching it in the 70s.

3. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    I have gone back in time and it is great!! I took out my dvd set of the Flintsones and watching the build up to Pebbles birth. What a great show it is. I just had to say something about it.

Gary OS likes this.
  4. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I couldn't agree more, Mark. The Flintstones was a fantastic show!

Gary "yabba-dabba do!" O.

Mark Collins likes this.
  5. Mark Collins

Mark
    Gary the show leaves me wanting for the next episode. The mark of a good TV series. What is wrong with comfort TV entertainment which is what I feel after watching the show again.

Gary OS likes this.
  6. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Every time one of today's witless "edgy" Simpsons/Family Guy shows tries to compare its own brainless-dolt family man to Fred Flintstone just because they have a toon in prime time, I immediately want to grab one of its fans, tie them up, and sit them down to some of the insane genius silly-sarcastic wit of the first three seasons. :D
    Growing up, we had specific episode lines from this series embedded in our heads as favorite jokes.("And now, a message from our sponsor:""Ladies and gentlemen, this program is costing me a fortune, so please....(sob!)...BUY MY PRODUCT!")

Although it lost a lot of that wit after Pebbles was born.
    Once Fred became the doting dad, all his Ralph Kramden edge left, and the Marketable Cuteness Factor took over the show.
    In addition to the rest of the OP's "Dear Santa, bring me a pony" post (I'll believe we'll ever see Flintstones on Blu-ray if I hear a film source exists...), so help me, if I hear ONE more pop-culture smartypants say "Hey, didja know the Flintstones sold cigarettes?" Well, at least he didn't post the YouTube clip to go with it, like the last twenty did... :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, they did do WInston commercials. They also did One A Day vitamins (betcha can't guess whatever happened with that product tie in...), Welch's grape juice and jelly, and Skippy peanut butter.The latter two were harder to ignore in season 4, when we heard in one out of every three episodes how much Pebbles loved her grape juice, and in season 5, when they started packing peanut-butter sandwiches for every occasion.
    Those were simpler, less-regulated times for advertisers.

7. Mark Collins

Mark
    Rare Flintstones clip and Johnny Quest

8. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    "It's 8:30, and time to swing with Shindig!" :)

You can tell a longtime Flintstones fan, when they immediately flash back on the Flintstones/Shindig crossover:
    Fred: "But first, let me take care of Jimmy O'Neillstone!" (clicks off TV)
    (hand reaches out of TV, clicks it back on)
    O'Neill: "Welcome BACK to Shinrock!"
    Barney: "Well, that's one way of keeping up their ratings..."

So many silly moments of ABC season-specific parody. :D
    (And trying not to make the "Boulder's Rule" jokes after Gene Barry.)

Mark Collins likes this.
  9. Mark Collins

Mark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82lOD6znIicI never knew there were so many

10. Timothy E

Timothy E Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    53 years ago today, The Flintstones premiered on ABC-TV.

Since this thread began 3 years ago, the Golden Age of television has trickled out very few releases on Blu-ray.
    The Twilight Zone & Star Trek have always been among the first series released in every new format, from VHS through laserdisc, DVD to Blu-ray, and each complete series is now available on Blu-ray.

The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Honeymooners "39" have also been among the first series released in each new format, and the former series was released last year and the latter is imminent for release. I Love Lucy is apparently on the horizon unofficially for 2014(and it's definitely about time for that one).

Can The Flintstones be very far behind?

11. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I hope it is coming!

12. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Given that this is a six season show, if WHV does put HB shows on blu, I doubt it will be the first. I would make the most sense if they put the first two seasons of Scooby Doo out first. That has to be their biggest seller anyway.

13. Mark Collins

Mark
    I have always been a huge Flintstone Fan. I just spoke on the Dark Shadows thread how I would record shows on an old reel to reel tape recorder as a kid. The Flintstones was one of those shows. I no longer have them because I taped DS over the show but sort of wish I did.

I am not sure I would rebuy the show unless they fix some things. The credits are wrong on some of the later epsidoes and I hate that. We also have that "everyone into the pool" which is lost for some reason.

14. Timothy E

Timothy E Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    54 years ago today, The Flintstones premiered on ABC-TV.

This seems to be a possibility as a Warner Archive release on Blu-ray, although I think a general retail release would do well.

It would be wonderful to have the first season, at least, on Blu-ray with the specs suggested in post #1.

We do have the Universal film available now on Blu-ray...

15. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    It would have to be an outstanding set on Blu-ray for me to consider purchasing all the seasons again, definitely along the lines of the first post. But the price would still be prohibitive as something I would find hard to justify. But by all means bring out on Blu-ray for everyone else and perhaps prices will fall for me to upgrade.

16. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    I think its even less likely to happen now than it was when you made this thread 3 years ago.

Greg Chenoweth likes this.