What's new

FLINTSTONES ON BLU-RAY (2 Viewers)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Alan you did make a great point. I want more extras as I said before episodes filmed just with Alan Reed and original cast released from the Comedy Hour and all those great You Tube clips we can view.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Mark-P said:
Actually the DVDs showed way more detail than the original broadcasts. What really stands out is cell dust, fingerprints, smudges and so forth. Hanna-Barbera was on such a limited budget that the cel-work was really sloppy, compared to Disney. I can only imagine how much more the imperfections would show up on Blu-ray!
I assume they'd have to clean and restore before releasing them.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ethan Riley said:
I assume they'd have to clean and restore before releasing them.
Yes, but should they? This general cel sloppiness is inherent in the filmed process that has always been there since day one but just wasn't as noticeable over broadcast television.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
mrz7 said:
However, there is one thing about Blu-Ray disc that are not talked about that much when comparing it to DVD. My understanding of the physical traits of the Blu-Ray discs are scratch resistant. Whereas DVDs (and for that matter CD's) can easily be scratched, and therefore life expectancy on a Blu-Ray disc is much longer than a DVD or CD. I just wish the Home Video Industry would mention this more as why Blu-Ray is a better media source than DVD's. But for some reason, they focus on the picture clarity (enhanced) than the other attributes Blu-Ray offers.
Now, though I don't mind DVD's (I take good care of mine), but when your are investing money in a collection (of movies, classic TV etc), I would much rather have them on Blu-Ray, for the fact that Blu-Ray is a better media source for storage based on the life expectancy of the disc from getting damaged. Just food for thought. :)
There is no reason to believe Blu-ray will last longer due to scratch resistance. The coating used wears over time and, even if it somehow didn't, it's possible the finish would cause read issues as other properties of the disc aged. Coating was done with an eye towards daily use, not longevity. The data grooves are also more narrow than DVD, which can cause greater trouble if the disc does get scratched. From a technology standpoint, it's not better or longer lasting than DVD.
Anyway, I would be very surprised to see The Flintstones on Blu-ray. Hanna-Barbera titles can't even be released outside Warner Archive DVD-Rs these days.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
However, there is one thing about Blu-Ray disc that are not talked about that much when comparing it to DVD. My understanding of the physical traits of the Blu-Ray discs are scratch resistant. Whereas DVDs (and for that matter CD's) can easily be scratched, and therefore life expectancy on a Blu-Ray disc is much longer than a DVD or CD. I just wish the Home Video Industry would mention this more as why Blu-Ray is a better media source than DVD's. But for some reason, they focus on the picture clarity (enhanced) than the other attributes Blu-Ray offers.
Now, though I don't mind DVD's (I take good care of mine), but when your are investing money in a collection (of movies, classic TV etc), I would much rather have them on Blu-Ray, for the fact that Blu-Ray is a better media source for storage based on the life expectancy of the disc from getting damaged. Just food for thought.
There is no reason to believe Blu-ray will last longer due to scratch resistance. The coating used wears over time and, even if it somehow didn't, it's possible the finish would cause read issues as other properties of the disc aged. Coating was done with an eye towards daily use, not longevity. The data grooves are also more narrow than DVD, which can cause greater trouble if the disc does get scratched. From a technology standpoint, it's not better or longer lasting than DVD.
Below is an article that backs up my point about the longevity of Blu-Ray vs. DVD:
http://blog.cdrom2go.com/2011/04/longevity-of-dvd-vs-blu-ray-discs/

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
A random opinion article doesn't make for facts. Some valid points are made, but the author falls a bit short on logic.
He's spot on regarding environmental conditions and storage methods. Discs should be kept in protective cases and away from sunlight.
However, why would scratch-resistance coating offer "superior protection against the elements" when it's merely employed to protect against scratches? And what's the value of that statement when it's tacked to the end of a spiel about Blu-ray's superior performance in engineered testing he himself dismisses as guesswork (apparently good enough for Blu but not DVD)?
And why on earth would you archive to a format not supported by both drives?
I would recommend taking a look at this website: http://www.digitalfaq.com.
These guys have many, many years of firsthand experience with everything digital, including optical media. Their message board is extremely insightful, objective and helpful.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My experience is that I can pamper a disc in terms of handling and storage and one day I put it in and none of my players (or any one else's) will read the disc any longer. Or I can not give special care to a disc at all and it lasts me 10 years (and counting).
I'd love to read an article that explains THAT. :)
Tape is still superior to discs in my view in at least one fundamentally important way when it comes to storing data: even if pulled, torn, or crinkled, the data is still THERE, on the tape, in a certain spot, which can be located and read. It doesn't, unless accidentally bulk erased, simply disappear, or suddenly, inexplicably become unreadable, even if most of the rest of the tape is destroyed.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Carabimero said:
My experience is that I can pamper a disc in terms of handling and storage and one day I put it in and none of my players (or any one else's) will read the disc any longer. Or I can not give special care to a disc at all and it lasts me 10 years (and counting).
I'd love to read an article that explains THAT. :)
Scratches that affect readibility can be so microscopic you can't see them, and an improperly-authored disc can have trouble no matter what. Your problem disc likely falls into either catagory, while a properly-authored disc with some marks (none damaging) can read fine. Optical discs are very finicky. I've never really liked them due to ridiculous conditions like you describe.
Carabimero said:
Tape is still superior to discs in my view in at least one fundamentally important way when it comes to storing data: even if pulled, torn, or crinkled, the data is still THERE, on the tape, in a certain spot, which can be located and read. It doesn't, unless accidentally bulk erased, simply disappear, or suddenly, inexplicably become unreadable, even if most of the rest of the tape is destroyed.
I agree that analog is better than digital in terms of longevity, but I'd argue that film is better than tape. Tape is inherently inferior and degrades more quickly. Film is the ultimate storage medium:
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Customer_Testimonials/Archive/index.htm
Under "Facts about Archiving on Film," this stands out:
"It costs about $1,059 (US) a year to preserve a film title. Compare that to digital files that require ongoing spending to maintain accessibility. The annual cost of preserving a 4K digital master is estimated at $12,514 (US) per year — 11 times more expensive than film."

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
A random opinion article doesn't make for facts. Some valid points are made, but the author falls a bit short on logic.
He's spot on regarding environmental conditions and storage methods. Discs should be kept in protective cases and away from sunlight.
However, why would scratch-resistance coating offer "superior protection against the elements" when it's merely employed to protect against scratches? And what's the value of that statement when it's tacked to the end of a spiel about Blu-ray's superior performance in engineered testing he himself dismisses as guesswork (apparently good enough for Blu but not DVD)?
And why on earth would you archive to a format not supported by both drives?
I would recommend taking a look at this website: http://www.digitalfaq.com.
These guys have many, many years of firsthand experience with everything digital, including optical media. Their message board is extremely insightful, objective and helpful.
Here is another random opinion article (from 2010) from your recommended website (www.digitalfaq.com) that backs up the points you were making (Traveling Matt). It also covers problems with analog (tape) issues:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/media/2021-blu-ray-disks.html

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Thanks for pointing that particular page out.
As you might be able to determine from just that single post, their advice doesn't come from gut feelings or "facts" borrowed from other websites or studies. I've followed them for a long time, and can tell you their knowledge comes from about twenty years (or more) of firsthand experience, burning thousands and thousands of discs of all types and brands, in addition to handling all types of media (including many that have come and gone) and keep abreast of what goes on in digital technology around the world through correspondence with folks working even more firsthand in various industries than they do.
If you have any questions about DVD-Rs or BD-Rs, I'd join their site (free) and ask them. They will provide personalized assistance that, believe it or not, actually works in real world conditions and isn't based on hand-me-down theories.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Carabimero said:
/t/304541/flintstones-on-blu-ray#post_3983891
Actually the DVDs showed way more detail than the original broadcasts. What really stands out is cell dust, fingerprints, smudges and so forth. Hanna-Barbera was on such a limited budget that the cel-work was really sloppy, compared to Disney. I can only imagine how much more the imperfections would show up on Blu-ray!
I agree some cleanup would probably be necessary, but I believe the result would be worth it.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
As I said in my original post, I agree THE FLINTSTONES would look better, of course. But given the lack of detail in the original animation, and the cleanup necessary, I'm questioning if the amount of time, effort, and money expended is equal or greater to the gain in picture quality. I don't think it would be.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Timothy, I would love to have it in bluray but what I printed from WHV they would rather put out the same material we have in i think December which makes no sense. I would buy the Flintstones again with all what you said back 2 years ago when you started the thread. Great points and extras you wrote about. I would be the first to order. I purchased the first random copies on VHS that was put out. I then purchased all the Columbia House editions. I still have those along with the entire I Love Lucy and The Lucy Desi Comedy hour which was 1 ep issued per month The Time Tunnel about 12 volumes. The money I spent at Columbia House. The Flintstone cases look cool but I never look at them. Glad there are still some original Flinstone fans still around.

I just have this feeling that it will be released on blu-ray next year. I think they will start releasing more animation on blu-ray and The Flintstones will be the first series released, followed by Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? and The Jetsons.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I do not understand. The HB thread claims more Flinstone material is coming. The Alan Reed Comedy Hour is that what they mean?? Can anyone tell me what the HB thread is talking about?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I found them and these are not Alan Reed episodes.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Flintstones-The-Prime-Time-Specials-Collections/17586

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I want all of what Timothy stated in his first post and i also want this included with the new bluray set of the origianl series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstone_Comedy_Hour
Here would be a great tribute to the original series with all the above included. The out line of the extras Timothy had stated included. What a gift set that would make. I think it would even make up to me the loss of all those collectables i gave away years and years ago. Please WHV are you listening?????????

JJHLH

Grip
Real Name
John
I am a huge fan of The Flintstones and am surprised and disappointed that it hasn't been released on blu ray. Hopefully that will change.

I just have a feeling that this is coming to blu-ray in 2013, along with Scooby-Doo. These were the premiere Hanna-Barbera dvds in 2004. Both complete series sets are being re-released this month. WB has already announced plans to include H-B in their anniversary celebration next year. I think it is all coming together. We'll see.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Originally Posted by Timothy E /t/304541/flintstones-on-blu-ray#post_3734512
Before I get off my soapbox, allow me to comment on the DVD releases of those other prime-time H-B cartoons from the 1960s, The Jetsons and Jonny Quest, and suggest what needs to be corrected on future releases:

The Jetsons: This first season set was almost perfect. I was ecstatic that the studio reinstated the original closing credits with George walking Astro, screaming "Jane, stop this crazy thing!" In the early 1980s, these terrific closing credits were chopped off in syndication and replaced with then-modern credits to match the new episodes being produced at that time. The only thing that W-B did wrong with this set, other than the character design on the packaging (too generic), is they left in the title cards created in the 1980s with the 1980s character design. (There really is a difference and fans can tell.) Please fix this on future releases.

Does the first season set have the correct closing credits for each episode, or is it the same credits for all of them? I'm pretty sure there is at least one episode with Rosie in it where Jean Vander Pyl isn't credited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks