Flight of the Navigator DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben_J_L, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Ben_J_L

Ben_J_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi there,
    Now don't laugh, and don't flame me for this, but is there any release date for one of my fav films when I was a kid? I remember seeing this film at the Acocks Green Bowling alley/cinema (2 screens) in 1986, its actually one of my first memories. I saw this film 3 times I think in total (at the cinema). The VHS video has been deleted, so I can't even buy that. I also think that Alan Silvestri's score on this film is really cool, cheesy but cool.

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'm just glad Warner doesn't own it.

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Hey, nothing beats Paul Rubens as a talking spaceship, and WHAT a spaceship, twas such a cool thing. I remember seeing this theatrically too when I was little, I'd love this on DVD.
    So who does own the US video rights? Disney?
    Dan (UK)

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    My local mom & pop video store has a used copy of this tape for sale, and it's from Disney. I know that films have a way of changing hands, but as far as I know, "Flight of the Navigator" is still with Disney.

5. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

I think Disney holds the rights. Hey, they are doing an awesome edition of Tron, so you never know.
    Another title I am craving for is Over The Top. C'mon Fox! [​IMG]

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    i hope that disney still has the rights to it, disney knows how to do things right!
    heh HTF ought to arrange a chat with buena vista/disney so we can laud compliments on them and beg for more titles (probably semi obscure) to be released. I for one would love to see a treasures dvd of some of their better nature movies like "The Hound who Thought he Was a Racoon" and "The Lovesick Moose". besides flight of the navigator, who else wants The Swiss Family Robinson, and Old Yeller on dvd?

7. Dan Wetzel

Dan Wetzel Extra

I'm with you on this one Ben [​IMG].. its definitely one of my all time favorites. I could careless if the DVD doesn't have any extras, just no p&s [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DVD Collection

8. Ben_J_L

Ben_J_L Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, even if it is released in R1 land next week, it won't be out in R2 land for at least another year.
    Ho hum, I think the UK rights are with fox, I have seen the old video box, and it says "Fox family classics" on the front.

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

quote: i hope that disney still has the rights to it, disney knows how to do things right![/quote]
    Flashback 18 months, no would one have dared say such a thing. Got to love progression.
    Ben, I agree I think Fox had it in the UK. My VHS is kinda worn out but I never binned it, it's boxed up in the attic though. You've made me want to find it now! [​IMG]
    Start a thread up in studio feedback, you never know...
    Dan (UK)
    [Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 19, 2001 at 06:44 AM]

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

We have a copy of the VHS. Yeah, Disney owns the rights to this film still, unless something's changed in the past 6 months or so.
    We've been breathlessly awaiting release of this title on DVD; it would definately be an instant purchase, even if bare-bones, as long as it had a good (anamorphic widescreen) transfer.
    But, as deeply as I scan the surf-waves for news about all new releases, I haven't heard even a rumor on this one yet!
    Darn it! [​IMG] Great film (with a *young* Sarah Jessica Parker!)(I can say that; she's 5 months older than I am).
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
    [​IMG]
    (Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

11. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I too would buy it immediately!
    Cees

12. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Antonio,
    Over the Top is WB.