What's new

3D Flesh for Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I wonder what Morrissey was paid when Criterion released it on DVD in 1998 and Image in 2005. I doubt they sold that many copies since the DVD was not in 3D (could have done field-sequential or anaglyph).

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
This article mentions FFF among a number of other titles being worked on in HD (no 3D included). Curious, vague too.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Capture.JPG

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
What makes any of that high definition. ?

If they are upconverting from SD masters it's still SD in my book. ( am i missing something here ? )

Are other studio's doing this nonsense, smaller labels for instance, i have wondered a few times if what i am viewing is actual HD.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It's not.

As I've indicated, Morrissey is not about to spend ANY money on this film.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
It's not.
What now worries me is that there are going to be around 1000 titles advertised as being high definition 1080p that have just been upconverted from SD masters, titles that some of us are likely going to be buying thinking they are true HD.

I'm trying hard to convince myself the article got the wording wrong as i think it's horrendous to contemplate labels fooling their customers by claiming something is HD when it's just upscaled, they should issue a disclaimer on the case stating they are upscaled, it has always bothered me that there was no minimum quality control standard set for blu ray.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Reliance Mediaworks have done 2D to 3D conversions.

• Conan The Barbarian• The Smurfs- 3D• The Transformers- Dark of the Moon• John Carter• Green Lantern• Krishna aur Kans (India)• DON 2 (India)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
RolandL said:
Reliance Mediaworks have done 2D to 3D conversions.

• Conan The Barbarian• The Smurfs- 3D• The Transformers- Dark of the Moon• John Carter• Green Lantern• Krishna aur Kans (India)• DON 2 (India)
Yes but that link specifically says they are going to be upconverting SD masters, that is a truly horrendous idea and will fool some into believing they are getting HD versions of their favourite films, it's not what i want when i buy a blu ray title labelled 1080p

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
RolandL said:
35mm 3D print of FFF sold for $448 on eBay yesterday.
Nicholas Roeg will be thrilled to know he directed Flesh for Frankenstein; Paul Morrissey probably not so much.

I wonder if the person who bought this just happens to have a Spacevision attachment lying around?

What is it with people in the US not wanting to send stuff to the UK? I'm starting to feel like a member of a persecuted minority.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
StephenDH said:
What is it with people in the US not wanting to send stuff to the UK? I'm starting to feel like a member of a persecuted minority.
We are just upset we have to sell to countries who have better middle class economies.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
RolandL said:
35mm 3D print of FFF sold for $448 on eBay yesterday.
I sent the seller a message asking if it would be possible to forward to to the buyer an inquiry about the Spacevision attachment question. Also included a mention of this thread in the hopes that the buyer might consider joining our little discussion.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Reed Grele said:
I sent the seller a message asking if it would be possible to forward to to the buyer an inquiry about the Spacevision attachment question. Also included a mention of this thread in the hopes that the buyer might consider joining our little discussion.
I was thinking along the same lines. I wanted to know what the buyer planned to do with the print. If he had the attachment, maybe he lived close enough for me to see it.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
RolandL said:
I was thinking along the same lines. I wanted to know what the buyer planned to do with the print. If he had the attachment, maybe he lived close enough for me to see it.
I'll certainly give an update if I receive a reply. Or perhaps the new owner will surprise us with an introductory post. :3dglasses:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
FoxyMulder said:
Yes but that link specifically says they are going to be upconverting SD masters, that is a truly horrendous idea and will fool some into believing they are getting HD versions of their favourite films, it's not what i want when i buy a blu ray title labelled 1080p
It says "Most of the titles are being up-converted from existing standard definition masters to high definition, not remastered from the original negatives. In many cases, the original film elements are not available, though RMW believes they will still achieve a quality result. RMW will also restore the audio of many of the titles."

I don't know if "most" is 60%, 70%, 80% or 90%.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
RolandL said:
It says "Most of the titles are being up-converted from existing standard definition masters to high definition, not remastered from the original negatives. In many cases, the original film elements are not available, though RMW believes they will still achieve a quality result. RMW will also restore the audio of many of the titles."

I don't know if "most" is 60%, 70%, 80% or 90%.
The article bothers me, is it bad journalism or is the reporting true and accurate, i mean The Third Man already had a great release from Criterion and a mediocre one from Canal in Europe, i say medicore because they de-grained that one and it lacks the fine detail and film look of the Criterion release, now i don't know what they used for The Third Man but it looked to me like an HD master, so why does the article mention that one as needing redone and if they got that wrong then how much more of the article is also wrong, i am also not a fan of the Lowry process, i still can't believe they are upconverting from SD, surely not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks