What's new

Fleischer Superman DVD question (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Marco, I also own the first Image release that Charlie mentioned and it includes everything from the Diamond Anniversary set PLUS Snafuperman. I compared both collections when the Diamond Anniversary disc first came out and opted to keep the earlier version. I was hard-pressed to see much difference between the two transfers (as were several of the reviewers at the time) so I decided that since the original included Snafuperman, I would just hang onto it.

To be honest, I think Image released the Diamond Anniversary collection as a lower-priced alternative to the original. The original had a list price of around $30 (which was not uncommon back then) and they probably had a hard time competing with the plethora of crummy, cheap PD versions that had flooded the market. I also guess that there may have been a licensing issue with Snafuperman preventing its inclusion on the new disc.

The other thing I really like about the original version is the cover art! I bought this set originally on laserdisc (a 2-disc set for $50!) and I always thought the gatefold cover was a gas! To me, it is much more classy than the fairly nondescript Superman pose that graces the cover of the Diamond Anniversary collection. As always, YMMV, but as far as I am concerned, if you have the original Image disc, I see no need to look further.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
The thing I like about the first Image release is that the sound is encode PCM, not DD. Is the Diamond Anniversary disc the same?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

The Superman camera negatives (sequential exposure) are held at UCLA Film & Television Archive. I'm not totally sure, but I think that the Snafu negatives are held at the U.S. National Archives.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The Superman cartoon negatives are held at UCLA along with all the nitrate holdings of Warner Bros. before they bought back their pre-'49 library when they purchased Turner Broadcasting and Turner Entertainment Co. (the division that owned the old library) became part of WB......

Thus, the only company that can legally and legitimately release the SUPERMAN cartoon from their orig. negs is WB, which they did selectively in the late days of the VHS era.

Hopefully, with a new SUPERMAN movie now filming, the rightful owner (WB) will properly restore these great cartoon and present them with the care and smarts they used to bring back the great, classic SUPERMAN (George Reeves) TV series a few months ago.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Actually, I've heard that WB is planning on putting both the cartoons and the Columbia serials on DVD, but they're undecided if they'll be added to the next 4 seasons of The Adventures of Superman or on their own.

I'd imagine WB would get decent sales from the two serials. Columbia released both of their Batman serials (The Batman and Batman & Robin) to DVD. One good idea would be to split the Superman cartoons in half and put the first 12 on "Superman" and the other 11 on "Superman vs. Atom Man". If both are two-disc sets, there would be plenty of room. Columbia's two DVD's are completely lacking supplements, so the cartoons would allow for an extra pull.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
So if there's actually a chance to see these fully restored, etc, should I hold off on buying one of these other sets?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the clarification Gary, I didn't realise.

Are you sure that the first Image release features the original mono soundtracks and was not "remastered" to surround mix?

Is the one you're referring to titled "The Superman Cartoons Of Max And Dave Fleischer"?

Anyways, I'm very happy with the Anniversary Collection. I think the cover art is fitting as well and the menu screens are pretty well done. I might be far off here, but I do think there was some sort fo extra included on this set as well, though I might be confusing it with Winstar's Gulliver's Travels Anniversary disc. I think there might've been a short documentary on the Fleischer Studio or perhaps a short featurette on the making of a Popeye cartoon or something like that? I might be way off here... again, it's been a while since I've watched the disc!

Anyways, at a $9 price tag I really wouldn';t bother waiting. What's the best/worst scenario... WB issues their own collection (which is still doubtfull - it seems more liekly from what I've read that these cartoons will simply be distributed as extras on upcoming DVDs). I'd take the plunge, it's not such a huge investment! ;)

Plus having all the cartoons in one place, looking and sounding great, is quite a nice convenience.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gary Cianciosi:

I have to disagree with Gary regarding which DVD to purchase, and I would invite you all to this old thread which discussed the versions available:

Max Fleischer's Superman Cartoons

The main reason to get the Diamond Anniversary Edition is, as stated on the above thread, they are uncut on this edition. I have both, and agree with Jeff Krispow's post regarding the quality of the DVD's.

Now, if you also want Snafuperman, then do what I did, and get both!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Rodney, I stand corrected. :b

I did a quick A-B comparison with a few cartoons when the Diamond Anniversary set first came out and at the time did not see a huge difference in picture quality. As far as the second Image release featuring completely uncut cartoons, of that I was totally unaware. I certainly have respect for Jeff as a reviewer and if he says that is the case, then I have no doubt it is. Besides the end tags, is anything else missing content-wise from The Superman Cartoons of Max & Dave Fleischer?

Now that I know there is a better quality version of this material available, I will certainly pick up a copy of the newer disc as a companion to my original. Thank you for the heads-up.

Cheers!

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Mario is correct -- Image's Diamond Edition is far and away the best. It does NOT have the Bosko logo on it, nor does it have added sound effects. It does have the date briefly superimposed to deter pirates, but that's a small price to pay for a sparkling collection of cartoons.

By the way, SNAFUPERMAN is included in the recent Looney Tunes Vol. 3 collection.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Are there screengrabs of the superimposed dates? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Anyword heard of the Imavision release? It seems to be the newest one on the market.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here is a screen grab of the superimposing of the dates on the Diamond Collection. Please note they only last about 2 seconds, and to Image/Bosko's credit, there is no bug in the corner of the screen.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
That's pretty odd about that screenshot. I assume it was done to stop other companies from leaching off their print?

As for the Imavision release, any help would really be appreciated but I may take a chance and buy it next week when I can get it at a discount. It seems to be the newest collection for all these cartoons and I'm just curious of the quality.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
So no one has any information on the Imavision release? No reviews online, etc. Well, I may give it a shot and pick it up anyways. I'm a bit curious about it. Any extra info on it, etc, would be excellent but I understand. This release is a couple months old and looks to be high quality.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Why?

The Diamond Ann. Ed. is as good as these films are going to look until Warner Bros. goes back to the original film elements and releases these on DVD.

I don't see why you would bother "taking a chance" with some unkown, unrecognizable public domain company banking off of the same multitude of shorts that have been released elsewhere countless times, when there is a quality version available that's regarded by almost everyone that knows?

Sounds like a waste of money to me, but feel free to take one for the team.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I don't have an Amazon.com/.ca account nor do I have a credit card, and I'm not a big fan of purchasing online. I just need something to tide me over until WHV revisits these cartoons anyways. Given the huge hype for Superman Returns it seems inevitab;e we'll see them released from WHV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks