"Fleischer Classics featuring Gulliver's Travels" (1939) coming to Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Retro00064, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Mine shipped too! With this note:

"Your estimated delivery date is:
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 -
    Friday, October 25, 2013"
    So this fits in with the pre-order through Amazon model as stated above. They're collecting the money to finish up the sets. :)

2. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    The charge has already appeared on my credit card statement, just a few hours after placing the order.

I don't mind if it means getting the disc off and running, plus I imagine that Amazon would provide a refund if the project goes belly up.

3. Larry Gelfand

Larry Gelfand
    I'm guessing it's the film strip that shipped since the amazon editorial review says "The Technicolor film strip will be sent this next week".

4. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Pre-ordered as well. Cannot wait!

Steve discussed the issue of shipping the film clip now in another forum:

There is a note included in the shipment email Amazon sent. We're shipping the 35mm clip this week to everyone, the disc when finished as noted. Amazon wouldn't let my seller account have a pre-release without shipping something unless I sent the product directly though them (even though they let you set a 'pre-release' in your store).

5. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Just joined the party! :)

6. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Thunderbean never released a retail DVD-r. They (as in Steve) include DVD-r bonus discs for pre-order or fundraising bonuses, but the main product is always pressed. I'm very sure this will also be a standard pressed disc.

7. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Pre-ordered.

8. Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen Second Unit

Fritz Nilsen
    Apparently, what is shipped now are just the "bonus" film cels. The actual disc will come later when it's done.

Edit: ......aaannnndd someone already explained this. Sorry. Nevermind.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Is there such thing as a blu MOD?

10. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, there certainly are BD-R's, so MOD's are entirely possible. I suspect GULLIVER will be one of them.

11. Thunderbean

Thunderbean Extra

Hi folks.... thanks so much for supporting these projects. Thunderbean is a tiny company, though we've been working hard here to make each new project just a little better each time. The collectors really are lending a huge hand in helping this company grow.

Both the BluRay and the DVD in the 'Gulliver' set will be replicated (The DVD is included with the BluRay).
    It is currently hard to say what BluRay will come first, this one or 'Technicolor Dreams and B/W Nightmares'- but they'll be released within a month of each other.
    We've started work on digital restoration of reel 2 now (it's four 20 minute 35mm reels). Reel 3 and 4 are almost completed in cleanup (and what a job that has been).

The filmstrips have started going out this week. Amazon allowed the pre-release up, but only with shipping something to everyone now (otherwise all orders would be listed as 'late'. Sigh...) The response has truly been amazing (and hugely surprising) for this and is a huge help in getting the second workstation going (and especially another chair of the restoration software).

These days all of the 'final' discs are replicated. The last title to not be replicated was Mid Century Modern 1 (and that one is in line to be replicated with the master turned in just a few days back).

For the record too, some of the smaller Thunderbean titles are still DVD-Rs, Including things like Cultoons 2 & 3, The Tom and Jerry Van Bueren set and Rainbow Parades, though I am tying to get the whole in-print catalog replicated within the year- with any non-replicated titles discontinued. Currently Noveltoons is getting a second pressing. Stock is out on Cubby Bear and Aesop's Fables (though available elsewhere), with a good chance of no further printings. Other discontinued titles include Aesop's volume 2, Return of the 30's Characters and Attack of the 30's Characters.

We're done over 20 discs now, and next year will be ten years since we started this incarnation of the company. Thunderbean actually goes all the back to 'Snappy Video' a little company I started when I was 19, releasing collections on VHS. That was 1988!

Titles in progress currently are:

Unannounced as of yet Blue Mouse Studio / Thunderbean DVD (finished)
    Mid Century Modern 2 (nearling completion- waiting for cover & commentaries to be finished)
    Technicolor Dreams and B/W Nightmares (films in restoration- advance sneak preview disc sent this week)
    Gulliver (well on its way)
    Big 3 volume not announced licensed project (in progress for the past 3 years or so- volume 1 coming together)

12. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I am sure we all admire and are grateful for your continued efforts. GULLIVER looked really fine on the corrected DVD I was sent, and it was a no-brainer that I would pre-order the Blu-ray. This all so puts the horrible Koch edition to shame that I hope it goes out of print, never to return. Unfortunately, it is that version that most people will see and base their opinions of the film upon, as it is the edition rental outfits carry (although I would encourage you to contact Dave at ClassicFlix and perhaps send him a promo copy when it's available -- I think he would agree to retire the Koch disaster!).

Here's wishing you well and great success with your current and future projects.

13. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

He's cutting up original 35mm IB Tech material??? Doesn't he understand how important it is to preseve them intact!?!

14. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

'Technicolor Dreams and B/W Nightmares' will also be mine

15. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Believe me, if anybody knows the importance of that, it's Steve Stanchfield. But as he notes in the Amazon listing, the clips are good frames from an otherwise water-damaged print.

16. Douglas_H

Douglas_H Stunt Coordinator

Glad I came across this thread. I don't know where but I saw this on TV a couple of weeks or less ago. Based on that I wasn't initially going to order this but after seeing the images on the previous page it was WOW!
    So, I pre-ordered earlier in the week.

In know this is OT, but is there any chance of getting the Fleischer Superman series re-done or are they owned by a studio
    and languishing in the vaults.
    I realize this has been discussed in the past I am likely opening a can of worms but I am curious.

17. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I believe that the negatives to the Superman shorts are now owned by WB. I believe that the series is still public domain, but not the negatives.

18. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I bought the unrestored negative transfer when Thunderbeam offered it on DVD-R on their webpage and I plan to buy the blu in October.

19. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    Warner restored them for the 2006 Ultimate Superman DVD collection (the Blu-Ray also has them IIRC, but in standard def).

If Warner restored them the same way they did the Looney Tunes shorts on the Golden Collections, then they'll have HD masters that can be resued for a proper Blu-Ray inexpensively.

20. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    Exactly. That's what I'm saying. There was a Blu-ray release by another company but it was terrible. WB could and should release a proper BR. A few issues need to be worked out, such as incorrect music on many of the endings but other than that, they look really good.