Flashing BIOS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Reno, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I have an ASUS K7V mobo and I'm preparing to install a new hard drive. I want to flash the BIOS before doing so (my current version is 1.03, the latest version avail. is 1.07) I have downloaded the appropriate file, so how do I "flash" it (no perverted answers please!)
    Also, my computer uses the VIA4-in-1 system. What is it and do I have to update this as well? If so, which do I do first, the BIOS or the VIA???
    Thanks!

2. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

• create a boot disk
    • unzip the downloaded BIOS file on to the boot disk
    • download and unzip the Asus BIOS flashing program "AFlash" on to the boot disk
    • insert the boot disk and boot from it (into a pure DOS mode)
    • run "AFlash" from the boot disk
    • follow the prompts, first backing up the current BIOS on to the boot disk (just in case)
    • choose the "Update BIOS..." option, follow the prompts and enter the name of the new BIOS file on the boot disk
    • "re-flash" it just in case
    • follow the warning message (about entering Setup and loading the Setup Defaults)
    The VIA 4-in-1 drivers are a bunch of drivers written by VIA specifically for their chipsets. The driver packs usually update the drivers controlling the AGP bus, the bus-mastering IDE controller and, if you board has them, the on-board audio and video chipsets. It doesn't matter which you upgrade first, the BIOS or the 4-in-1s.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Question:If all is well, is it necessary to update BIOS? ASUS suggests not to change/update BIOS unless you're having boot problems.
    ------------------
    Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature.

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Most BIOS updates are to accomodate new hardware eg larger capacity harddrives.
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it
    ------------------
    My HT My DVD Collection

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Agreed. Unless there is a specific issue you wish to resolve, leave the BIOS alone.
    I upped the BIOS on my CUBX some time ago due to power management problems in Windows 2000. It worked a treat, but I had reinstall Windows to get the desired effect after flashing.

6. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

7. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Hmmm, since everything is working, I guess I'll leave everything as is. Thanks for all the help folks!