Flash Drives, Opinions...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Luc D, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

I'm looking into getting a Flash Drive (those neat little USB storage devices the size of a key chain). Looking for a relatively cheap one (30 megs) and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these things and could tell me if some brands are better than others.

Also, what about compatibility? Can I take it from a PC and stick it into a Mac?

Thanks

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I have SanDisk and I love it. I got the Titanium Cruzer (probably a little more than you want to spend). You should probably get at least 64MB because I'm not sure if they even make 32MB anymore -- of course you could always buy a used one that's 32MB. I just went to Newegg.com though, and you can get a 64MB for about $20, so there's really not much reason to get smaller than that. 128MB are probably the "standard," or most purchased, right now. And 256MB and 512MB are becoming more and more popular, and therefore less expensive. Anyway, I'd look to SanDisk, Kingston, and Lexar as all make fine memory devices.

3. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

I have two Fuji models...a 128MB and a 256MB. No problems with either. They are cross-platform. Work equally well on a Mac or a PC.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I have a Shikatronics flash drive which I use to save an extra backup of our company's main software package among other things. Extremely useful and highly compatible.

6. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I am using a PNY 256 meg and have had good results, an my co-workers have been using sandisk and have been happy also. I see 128 megs on newegg.com for under 30 bucks. They should work under any OS, I know I have used mine under windows xp 2000 and Linux, and mac compatible is listed on the packaging.

7. Steve Weeks

Steve Weeks Stunt Coordinator

Do any of these USB drives work with Linux as well?

8. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I have this 256mb Sandisk which is only $38 shipped from newegg. Love it. Stylish, nice LED and small. I move files from an XP machine to a Mac all the time and vice versa. No problems with it.

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Can you boot off these items??

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I have the 256 meg SanDisk Cruzer as well.

Jeff yes you can boot off them providing your BIOS supports it (most newer PC's do)