What's new

FLAC - SACD (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi,
I have recently purchased and setup a new AVR. Pioneer SC-1523-K.

I've only tested a few movies and some music with it.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with SACD/DSD.

I'm not familar with this. Is this the same thing as FLAC mp3 files?

What do you use to play SACDs? Are there digital version for download?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
SACD is not FLAC.Super Audio-CD. You need a SACD player(PS3 and many Sony BD players play it...as it is Sony's format).Universal players are made by many...Oppo, Marantz, Pioneer(Universal means it plays DVD-A).DSD is the "codec" for SACD. There are a couple download SACD places, 2 channel only. Discs are(mostly) multi-channel.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
For high-res music, what do you recommend? Not albums or anything, but formats. I usually go digital. So where can I download high-res music from?

Would this type of thing be limited in content?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
erew99 said:
Thanks. I can't find any music from this century though :)
Look on Amazon.De and Amazon.Br. SACD has quite a bit of new stuff. Peruse the dedicated Hi-Res thread. But yeah...If your tastes run Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, PitBull and Snoop Dogg...No, you aren't going to find much. You need to find artists with actual musical range.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
schan1269 said:
Look on Amazon.De and Amazon.Br.SACD has quite a bit of new stuff. Peruse the dedicated Hi-Res thread.But yeah...If your tastes run Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, PitBull and Snoop Dogg...No, you aren't going to find much. You need to find artists with actual musical range.
That is hilarious!

I was thinking more like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters... something newer, but still good.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDtracks iTrax I've never downloaded. I've always bought disc. If you get serious, you'll learn to shop Japan, Brazil and Germany.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
NIN has several dual-disc(or hybrid).Dual-disc and Hybrid are discs that play Redbook on one layer and hi-Res on the second layer.But I can never remember which format belongs to which.Making matters worse...I've seen rock CDs listed as hybrid or dual-disc...that don't even mention the SACD/ DVD- A.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
erew99 said:
Why Japan, Brazil, and Germany? Just more selection?
Brazil and Germany...iTunes hasn't decimated disc like it has everywhere else(Why you keep seeing Germany pop up on Blu Ray topics).Japan is yes, digital happy...but there is a surprising amount of LP and Hi-Res over there.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
First impressions = great.

I like the automated setup. I have to tweak a few things, such as speaker distance, small/large, etc...

Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but I am enjoying the surround much better. Playing music seems less harsh. Not as warm as I'd like, but a definite improvement.

I'm just waiting on my in-wall cables to arrive so I can start running them.

I'll check out Japan/Germany :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lastly...DVD- A is "dead". For every newly released DVD- A, there are 50+ SACD. And, maybe 10% of artists are even recording in SACD. But, DVD- A "lives on" as BD Pure Audio.The file system behind Dolby TrueHD is the same as DVD-A.(unless, I have it backwards...and it is DTS-HD. One of those things you know...but it isn't committed to memory. Like in Day After Tomorrow..."What temp does jet fuel freeze?"...or was it helicopter?...)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Okay, good to know. So I should be on the lookout for DVD-A and SACD.

Hmmm- I don't know the answer to your question :)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
The 1523-k has the following info listed for it:

Music File Playback
MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, 192kHz / 24-Bit WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD via USB and Network

EDIT: Just realized I left some of this out:

Looks like I can put the digital files on a USB thumb drive and play directly from there. Or via a network server (which I do use).

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I'm going to guess that "Ogg Vorbis" is an old failed codec? I've never heard of it and it seems to be a lossy codec.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was kidding. Apple doesn't natively support it. But no...not dead. OV is primarily a device codec. Outside Samsung, not sure if anybody else supports it straight off a USB. Back before lossless, it mattered more. But...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks