What's new

Fistful of Dynamite (1 Viewer)

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
Any news of a R1 release of this Sergio Leone classic? Hopefully from the Italian restored uncut disc.

Blu

Screenwriter
I would think that with G,B,&U being restored and the amazing Once/West that Fistful wouldn't be too far behind!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

The restoration of A Fistful of Dynamite (under the title Duck, You Sucker) has already happened, and it was given a theatrical release last year.

DJ

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
We'll probably see restored SEs of A Fistful of Dollars, A Few Dollars More and Duck You Sucker next year, if MGM has any sense.

An MGM Leone boxed with the Dollars Trilogy and Duck You Sucker would be worthwhile, but would frustrate buyers of the upcoming SE of Good, Bad, Ugly.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I tape FFOD off TV but never bothered to watch it as it worked out to being about 1hr 40mins with commercials. I'll wait for the uncut DVD.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Brajesh,

It looks great, but bear in mind that the UK version does not contain the 3-minute "flashback" sequence near the end of the restored version of the film. That is only available on the Italian version,which unfortunately contains no English subs. I own the Korean 2-disc set that contains the UK version and the Italian version.

Ted K.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Which is why I'm not buying the upcoming SE until a box-set is announced. These films shouldn't be presented any other way and I wouldn't feel right giving up my current trilogy, regardless of the transfers and lack of extras, until all 3 SE are released and packaged together as a trilogy set.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This from the Sergio Leone webboard deserves a wider audience:

MGM's Home Entertainment Dept. is planning to re-edit the film restoration of "Duck, You Sucker" to restore the title "Fistful of Dynamite" to their DVD release next year. (Unfortunately, the film has played just about everywhere in the U.S. and Canada over the last year except here in L.A.,so that's why you haven't noticed it.) However, you may recall that the last line of the film is Rod Steiger's voice over line, "What about me?" The answer is supposed to be the end title "DUCK YOU SUCKER." Changing the title back to "Fistful of Dynamite" at the end makes the ending fall totally flat. Also, "Duck, You Sucker" is closer to the original Italian title, and it's the one that Leone wanted for the U.S. release. (He only agreed that "Fistful of Dynamite" could be used for the U.K. release.) If you're a fan of the film or know people who are, you might want to write a note to the website saying that you ahve heard that the DVD might be released as "Fistful of Dynamite" and you would like them to reconsider giving the DVD the director's original title. The website is http://www.mgm.com/dvd_faqs.do

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Hmmm...John Kirk, the man responsible for making the restorations to the Leone films, told me exactly the opposite: that DUCK, YOU SUCKER was being restored to the new print of the film and would subsequently be reflected on the eventual DVD. Curious.

Even curiouser, IIRC, the previous "restored" laserdisc did not even have the "What about me?" line at the end of the film, not even in the "alernate ending" presented as a supplement. I suppose all the better to cover the fact that the punchline of the original title was now moot.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
According to this (now quite old) thread 'Fistful' is favoured by MGM, though John Kirk says:

Thanks, guys, for all your help. I agree that "Once upon a Time... the Revolution" would be a great title to use, but since Paramount owns "Once upon a Time in the West" and Warner Bros. owns "Once upon a Time in America," there's little-to-no chance that a trilogy release would ever happen. Since film elements were made only for "Duck, You Sucker!" and "Fistful of Dynamite," I think I'm stuck with using one of the two. I think that the argument that "Duck, You Sucker!" is the response to the final line of dialogue is also a strong reason to use that title. If you come across anything else that might help, please let me know. Thanks again!

I was told by a good source that MGM was prepping a box of SEs; A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dynamite (and that was the title given by someone involved in the project) for release in 2005. Maybe MGM think the title would play better in a boxset? BTW, I was also told the latter would be uncut, final flashback intact.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Are the people who worked for the MGM HV Dept now working "at" Sony alongside Sony's technicians, etc? I have been pondering the James Bond 4k refurbishments that Lowry Digital Images were going to do: will Sony follow this through or use their own in-house restoration team?

A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More badly need new anamorphic transfers and a second disc of extras.

Duck You Sucker! should be the on-screen title and 'punchline' coda. It's a fine film, on its own terms and should be uncut, so that newcomers can appreciate its brilliance.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Great, great news. I will probably have to be bad and buy them from overseas, since they'll be out there three months prior to here (did the same with Once Upon a Time in the West - just couldn't wait). I wonder why MGM does this? Releases things several months in advance in Europe. I had The Great Escape SE months and months before it came out here, and I also just got a new 2DVD set of Blake Edwards' The Party, that presumably will be released here at some point. Same with The Pink Panther set.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news if true. My Leone collection will now be complete in 2005. :D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If it's any guide, the SEs of A Fistful of Dollars, A Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dynamite are being released in the UK on April 18, 2005.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't checked this thread before, but this is from the link in John's post #15

Uh, I'm ignorant on this, what's the deal with the current release being improper/not in its right state?

Edit: I suppose this could be a vote against the new scenes added for the SE DVD?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It's that and the fact, for the limited theatrical release, John Kirk beefed up the gunshots, which was kept for the DVD. They don't have that familiar sound, which caused a howl of anguish from some...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks