What's new

First time looking at the Pacific Ocean (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am visiting a friend in San Diego right now. It is my first time on the West Coast. This afternoon we were at Santa Monica piers when it occured to me that beach or portion of sea I have ever seen in my short life was the Atlantic Ocean, both in West Africa, France and in NYC.
OK OK, big deal... Link Removed
It is just that I am very er... "history and geography concious". Believe it or not realizing that and telling myself I am contemplating the Pacific Ocean was an emotional experience for me. You see, the Atlantic Ocean is pretty much that of the Western Civilisation, right between Europe and the American continent. The Pacific seems to be the end of that civilisation... and beyond it lays a totally different world, values, people etc... even in the age of globalization. Standing on that beach felt like I was at a frontier, a personal one because what lies ahead of it is really foreign to me. One day I will cross it...
So, who thinks I am nuts? Link Removed
[EDIT]Probably those who live here...
--
Holadem - "You know what Mexicans say about the Pacific? They say it has no memory"
[Edited last by Holadem on October 18, 2001 at 11:35 PM]

KyleS

Screenwriter
No I dont think you are crazy at all and I think that is a great way to think about things. Just make sure sometime in your life you are able to act on those feelings and travel to destinations across the Pacific (like Australia or Hawaii)
KyleS

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Holadem,
in my opinion it does you credit to feel that way.
Too often we tend to dismiss things like that in the rush of the moment. And in the process, IMHO, diminish our souls...
Mike

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I remember the first time I saw the Pacific Ocean. Damn, was it big! Positively breath-taking for this Ohio-reared boy. One of these days, I'll get around to seeing the Atlantic...
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire
[Edited last by SteveGon on October 19, 2001 at 09:29 AM]

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Dam, you know i didnt feel that way when I was in Seatle.
But then it was only that Sound, i think Puget Sound (sp?}.
Maybe one day ill see the real west coast
smile.gif

Besides that, the only other coast ive seen is the Texas Gulf Coast
smile.gif

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Surreal isn't it? This year I did the non-continental US tour as I went to Hawaii (Kauai & Oahu) in early March and I was in Alaska in August. But I've been to the Pacific Ocean before (it's on the wrong side!) and it is always a great experience. I remember the first time seeing the Rockies (Canadian side) and having to pick my jaw up off the floor. It was on Route 1 heading from Calgary to Banff National Park when I was a little 'um...
Jay

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Holadem, I too saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time recently, and in San Diego too. I felt the same as you did!
I had seen a lot of other waters, but not the Pacific, and it was an exciting experience, much like you describe it.
Also, it was really nice to see that much water again... I was in the ocean for an hour and a half, just splashing around in the waves... ah...
/Mike

Steve Peterson

Stunt Coordinator
I get the same reaction when I see the Alantic. I grew up in the west and the Pacific is old hat to me. When I have to go back east (New England area) on business, the Alantic is strange and different to me. Much more moody than what I'm used to.
Steve "Nothing like watching the sun sink over the ocean to end your day." Peterson.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I saw the Pacific for the first time this year too. My wife and I, and my folks, went on an Alaska cruise in July. What this thread reminds me, is before we left I thought to myself, "I'll see the Pacific for the first time ever!", but then when I was there, and I was on a cruise ship for 7 days on it, it just didn't occur to me that I'm staring at an ocean that I've never seen before.
Now I realize it when I read this thread, that I was looking forward to seeing the Pacific for the first time, but then it never came to mind when I was actually there!
smile.gif

We had a connecting flight in Salt Lake City and the mountains where a sight to behold. I think seeing those (and the mtns. in Alaska) were more exciting to me than the Pacific. We don't have mountains like that on the east coast!
KJP

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Holadem,
I definitely don't think you're nuts!
I remember the first time I saw the Pacific - in February of 1996. I was in San Francisco on business and on an off-day, hopped on a bus that took me out to the ocean. It was a very moving experience and highly emotional, particularly because it was my first time on the West Coast. Later that year, got to go to LA twice and to San Diego, and each time it was amazing and moving.
BTW, while you're in San Diego, be sure to check out La Jolla if you have time. It's absolutely beautiful. I believe some call it "the Monaco of America" or something like that.
------------------
Scott

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I've lived in the Pacific Northwest my entire life and have been to the coast countless times.
Still, the ocean is amazing. It has an allure that draws me back again and again. If I ever have the money, I want a large house on the coast overlooking the ocean. Maybe 50 to 100 feet up on a cliff and a nice, sandy beach below, with stairs or some other sort of easy access. I want to be able to open the doors to a large, covered deck and fall asleep in a hammock listening to the waves crash on the shore.
If I really make it big, throw in a large yacht anchored off-shore and a helicopter to get me there and back.
I love the nautical look - remember the bedroom in the first American Pie, with the wood surrounding the walls? That's the look I'm talking about.
For now, though, all I've got is a ship on top of my DVD player and some seashells & beach sand in a jar in my bathroom.
image3.jpg

------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And yet, and yet: This SoCal boy prefers the desert to the ocean.
Glad you enjoyed seeing the Pacific, Holadem.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
It brings to mind the great quote from The Shawshank Redemption "They say the Pacific has no memory". That captures pretty succinctily the way I feel about oceans. We talk about space exploration alot, but we still have the most vast frontier here on earth to explore: the seas. Oceans are eternal. They have seen kingdoms rise and fall, they have outlived the dinosaurs and will outlive us, they have witnessed the greatest spectacles in history and yet, they are silent and don't give up their secrets. No, I don't think you are nuts. If the feelings of being small and humble don't enter your mind while looking across the waters, then you are nuts.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I felt the same way when I first went to Europe. I'd been to Mexico and Canada, but for the first time in my life I felt like I was someplace foreign (even though in Scotland, they ostensibly speak English). It blew me away

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw the Pacific and drove a while on the Pacific Coast Highway for the first time a couple of months ago.
The PCH was great until it went inland and started to look and smell like New Jersey. :)
But the Pacific was an awesome sight. I was thinking of selling off the HT gear and living life as a beach bum.
Nah. But it's an interesting thought.
- Steve

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I've lived about an hour from the Pacific Ocean my whole life and its been about 10 years since I've actually gone to see it. I REALLY need to get out more.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got back yesterday. Boy was it a great week end!
biggrin.gif

When I checked back here (I had limited access), I was surprised and glad to see that you guys understood my experience :) I also saw the Pacific from the Mexican coast and it was breathtaking as well and even more exotic... but nothing rivals that first experience.
BTW, while you're in San Diego, be sure to check out La Jolla if you have time
Scott, I didn't check out La Jolla, I actually resided there (My friend lives there) :). You are right, it is absolutly beautiful.
--
Holadem

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff R. sacrilege!
I went to England last year and while I was in Scotland I was amazed how similar it was to Oregon. Then I got to the coast and it didn't look right. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, until I finally realized the sun was RISING over the ocean. Weird. :)
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
even though in Scotland, they ostensibly speak English
We do? First I heard of it :)
Seeing the desert in Western Texas for the first time was an awesome experience - walking out into it with the only visible human impact was a windmill on the horizon to point out the visitor centre/park ranger hut.
I like. My wife, a native Texan, found my naive fascination for it funny. Much the same way she's fascinated with the hillsides & countryside in Scotland I guess.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the Left Coast! You're actually like a few miles from where I work!
Anyway, I had a similar overwhelming experience in 1998 when I visited Manhattan for the first time. Spent an entire day marvelling at everything and walked from Washington Square up to Broadway using 5th and 7th avenues. Made a day of just walking and looking and appreciating. And yes, I saw the Twin Towers and when I saw it on the news it hit me a lot harder than if I'd never gone there in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks