What's new

First "review" of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring online (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Nice review. But GOD! Why do they have to be so vage about the quality of the video??? "It looks amazing" is nice, but let's get technical! Compression artifacts, grain, noise?? Actually, grain I wouldn't mind, since the picture was grainy in theaters. But what about the rest?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
To be fair, Ricardo, they're not a bunch of HT oddballs like us. ;) Be patient, reviews from dedicated HT sources will appear in time...
The brief nod to the preview of the 4 disc edition sounds good. I am glad they mentioned that. From what they say there it explains why there are multiple versions, as well as hints of what will be on the expanded edition in Nov.
So, if the disc is in the bag now, you can only imagine the scale of copies they will be pressing between now and late July when it should ship to retailers. FOTR fever will strike again.... and again three months later...then one month after that it's Two Towers!! Oh me oh my!
Dan
PS: I will stress now that I hate anyone who will be owning either of the FOTR releases and has a CRT front projection set up. :D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
[Obi-Wan]Patience![/Obi-Wan] Can't wait for the day when I log in and find "HTF Review: The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (with screenshots) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" ;)
And I dunno about CRT, but if my luck holds, I'll be getting a JVC D-ILA pj just in time for the arrival of the SE :D Anyone up for watching FOTR on a 15-foot wide screen? :D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
D-ILA would by my second choice, and a bloody close one at that. Their new 150CL DILA is lovely... The fully HD-proof QX1 at $225,000 is also rather nice. :D
Actually I intend to go the projection route next year. It comes down to CRT with the best possible image, solid blacks pushing it to a 9ft width, or calibrated DILA with slightly less solid blacks and depth, but a bigger screen.
Screensize is always subjective in accordance to one's seating position and room size of course, so it'll very much depend on how BIG a dedicated room I can constuct in a new house will be, and of course, the financial situation.
Ironicaly enough, the better quality route of CRT would be cheaper than DILA since restored 8" and even 9" CRTs can be had cheap now. I should head across the channel and pay Bjoern Roy a visit. :D
It's funny, one of my FOTR viewings was at a small art house cinema I frequent, the screen on baker street. Little more than a glorified home theatre frankly, the screen was about 11ft in width max. It was a great viewing (it even had a well executed interval since their projector was not up to the standard of running so many reels as one for a film so long)...
Dan

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I was all ready to buy a used CRT, but then the brightness issue hit me. Then I heard about this guy at AVS with a 13-foot screen and I just knew I had to go for something like that :b I'm a sucker for a huge screen lol The lack of native HD support worries me a bit, but HD content in Latin America is pretty much zero, and I'm not buying into DVHS until more titles become available and deck prices go lower, so I'm not too bothered by it. I can always sell it and upgrade in a couple of years.
FOTR + AOTC + Front PJ: One giddy fanboy chump :D

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The first reviews of the first disc are coming out (not stolen discs!). Theonering.net and AICN. Harry says that they have fixed some of the goofs in the movie (like the car). Does anyone know about this? I personally think that this is questionable. They are advertising that they are releasing the original theatrical cut! It is not going to be the theatrical cut contrary to what they are promoting. If they want to fix any goofs it should be in the extended cut not the original theatrical release!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
AS long as it does not reduce the narrative nad fixes a MINOR goof that is WAY off in the background then it is no big deal to me. I knew that them fixing that would ruffle feathers.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Has anyone else seen this car? In 4 viewings I never noticed it.

I agree with Sean.

To those contemplating the move to FP - GO FOR IT!

Through the AVS forum I was fortunate enough to scoop up one of the discounted NEC LT150s. Coupled with a Panny RP91 DVD player and a 60 x 80 screen am enjoying a true movie experience at home.

Many times the image I have at home surpasses the quality of those being displayed at most of the local multiplexes in my area.

Truly a worthwhile upgrade!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Has anyone else seen this car? In 4 viewings I never noticed it.
I finally saw it in my 4th or 5th viewing. You really have to be looking at the right place to spot it. And I can't really say I saw a car - I saw the moving dust plume kicked up by the car driving on a dirt road.

At this point I wouldn't rely on Harry's review to be proof that the car glitch has been removed. He watched the disc on his new iMac!! If the car was hard to spot on the big screen, I would think it would be even harder on a 15" computer monitor.

It wouldn't bother me if the car glitch was removed, although I think it would be a cool supplement to have the original scene with the area highlighted just so people could see what all the fuss was about.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
At this point I wouldn't rely on Harry's review to be proof that the car glitch has been removed. He watched the disc on his new iMac!! If the car was hard to spot on the big screen, I would think it would be even harder on a 15" computer monitor.
Indeed. He also claims it to be a direct digital transfer. :)
Dan

Kami

Screenwriter
I think the TORn review was also conducted on a computer monitor. Agh...why can't they send the disc to someone who knows about the technical aspects!!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hmmm - now that I think about it - I do remember seeing a dust plume. I do not remember seeing a car though.

Gruson

Second Unit
I will have the first disc this Monday. It is the real thing too.

I will post my review next week.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Saw it 9 times, once for each member of the Fellowship. As appropriate, my seventh time was aborted by a business emergency :angry: .
The car IS there. It is easy to see on the big screen if you look in the right place, but I have not been able to see it on 27". It's one of those things that once you see it you will always see it (like retention wires in an aperture grill monitor).
P.S.- You bet AVS Forum is dangerous! I marvel at the money being spent there. In short order they make whatever you have seem pathetic (not purposefully of course).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
New Line is not making any screener copies
available to the Press.

New Line claims they have added material on
the disc that they want to announce day and
date with a press release.

Therefor, don't be surprised if you don't
see early reviews on your favorite review sites.

Look forward to reading member reviews.

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this before but I'll go ahead and mention it anyways. Over at darkhorizons.com they have a link to a short and sweet review of this film on dvd. It's very positive and there's no spoilers for those who haven't seen the film. But, they couldn't comment on the preview for the two towers...guess we'll have to wait till it is released to see that.
Here's the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/07/04/lord_of_the_rings_fellowship_of_the_ring_2001_dvd_ review.shtml

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks Luis. Odd he praises the discs and then gives them a 4 out of 5.:frowning:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Ron, the new sig was a shock there!! :D
Cool, though. I'm sure you used to have a great deal more hair in your old one... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks