What's new

First "review" of LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring online (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Great scoop! Thanks for the link :)
At first I thought this was a bogus review, probably using the bootlegged Academy screener, but those screenshots of the menus had to come from SOMEWHERE. I wish he'd gone into more detail regarding the transfer, though.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Not much of a DVD review.

He doesn't give a rating for video and audio quality, nor does he go into any detail about them or the extras included.

Is there a reason why the only screenshots that are expandable are the menus - which have been around for a while?

This quote had me laughing:

"The bottom line is, this movie is the closest thing to perfect filmmaking I have ever witnessed."

He must not watch many films.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"The bottom line is, this movie is the closest thing to perfect filmmaking I have ever witnessed."
He must not watch many films.
Or perhaps he simply has a different opinion from your own. Imagine that :rolleyes

Oscar

Second Unit
Geez, reading that review made me change my mind and instead of buying the 4 disc set i will buy the August 6th one.

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
Geez, reading that review made me change my mind and instead of buying the 4 disc set i will buy the August 6th one.
Oscar,

Why? Did that review tell you anything significant you didn't already know?

Perhaps it convinced you that you need to buy BOTH editions, instead of only the extended cut?
Also, I'm not saying that he is faking this review (although it looks like it), but every screenshot on the page he could have gotten elsewhere (and funny enough, his chosen menu screenshots are exactly the same as those published a while ago).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine anyone having received Disc 1 now if it's meant for an August release. I wonder if it's one of the academy screeners that's been going around. You'd think he would have mentioned the anti-bootlegging message that scrolls through it though.

I can't wait to see full reviews of this in Late July/Early August.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
John that is why he included all the menu screen shots.

and this version is 'in the wild' too.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I think it's probably the real thing, only because, to my knowledge, the screener is not anamorphic, and the shots from the film he includes appear to be unsqueezed anamorphic video -- unless he squashed them on the sides himself (but I doubt it would occur to anyone to do that).

It's only a hair over two months until the DVDs release. It's not inconceivable that someone could get a hold of a test pressing or review copy.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine anyone having received Disc 1 now if it's meant for an August release. I wonder if it's one of the academy screeners that's been going around. You'd think he would have mentioned the anti-bootlegging message that scrolls through it though.

I can't wait to see full reviews of this in Late July/Early August.
New Line tend to send out screeners VERY early sometimes. For example, I Am Sam was up about two months pre-street. As such, it's not inconceivable someone got it so early. No idea how this guy would be one of those people - not exactly a high-powered DVD site, what with its 21 reviews - but who knows?

Oscar

Second Unit
Well, uh.

It depends on the money, in August 6th when i go to buy the DVD, i will see what my mind and heart tell me and if they say to me "BUY IT!" then i will, or else i will wait until November and if that isn´t enough then i will refuse to buy the movie.

After all there have been many movies i liked, but never brought them like The Sixth Day or Bad Boys.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I liked Lord Of The Rings too, but I don't know if i'll buy it because I too don't buy every movie I like, like Snow Dogs or The First Wives Club...
:D

John CW

Supporting Actor
There's a "special features" option on the menu so why doesn't he talk about them?? I think he's just trying to "scoop" a review without actually owning a copy personally (or at least the screener bootleg). Have those menu shots been seen before??

~ John

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Indeed John, this guy has very obviously ripped those shots from a dvd-review site.
A very bogus review.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Just a reminder that the first disc is floating around, so he isn't the first to mention it. Even Ron has recieved incomplete sets of discs.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The fact that the review is so subjective and very un-specific about anything of the disc(s)is what makes me question it. Why are his other reviews of discs (that we KNOW are available) more specific than this one?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
TheOneRing.net has a review of the DVD from what seems like a different source. This person has the SECOND disc as well and discusses the special feature in a decent amount of detail.
check it out

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks