What's new

First photos of my basement HT (2 Viewers)

BrianKR

Second Unit
Awesome!
Can't wait to see more pics.
Are you doing the work yourself or did you hire it out?

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm doing all the work myself. I am good with plumbing and electrical too. Today I am going to buy the pressure treated sole plates and put them in using a powder nail gun.

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Looking great so far Dan!! I can already see your layout from the pictures and it looks like the perfect space. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Cheers,
Andrew Stoakley

Matthew Cook

Stunt Coordinator
what is that rectangluar hole for an aquarium? I did that was just wondering if anyone else did it

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like you're having some fun. I just started framing my basement, it's amazing how it can start coming together after just a couple of days working.

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
The rectangular hole was a wet bar (a lousy diy job from the previous owner) that I tore out two years ago. As you can see from another picture, that wall is now torn out completely.

The inside dimensions of my HT are 12'-6" wide by 24' long. The ceiling height will be 7'. I am also building a bathroom behind the theater that measures about 5'x8'.

Just yesterday I finished putting in the sole plates for all the walls except the equipment closet. I'm still unsure what I am going to do about an equipment rack. I will probably build it myself.

On 12-8-04, I will begin putting in the wall studs. I'm looking forward to this because I will get a much better feel for the size of the rooms. New pictures will soon follow.

Thanks for the kind comments so far.

Dan

Darren McGruther

Stunt Coordinator
Drop ceiling is definatly nice for future mods, but, and this is a big but, do you really want to hear the whole ceiling rattle every time a big bass scene comes up in a movie. Plus you mentioned that your ceiling will be 7', a drop ceiling will lose you another 3-4 inches. No big deal if your 5 feet tall. Just wire for everything before hand, I mean everything. More than you ever think you will need. The cost is so minimal during construction, quadruple it if you forget to do it now, and want to do it later. I'm running into that now with mine, forgot to run for a projector.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
ahh yes ripping out that Paneling is quite fun, that stuff really likes to splinter though. looks good man, its alot of fun getting started on a theater, knowing how much fun its going to be when your done is a driving force in the construction. as far as drop ceilings go I dont like them one bit, Just plan ahead and try to have any future things already ran. I built a soffit around my theater so worst case scenario I can cut into that and have minimal patch work. good luck with your theater, im still buildin mine too, I wish I knew about electrical, I can do everything else but electricity I just dont get, luckily one of my good friends is an electrician

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks