What's new

First-person shoot-em-up games on multiple monitors (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'm planning to purchase a new computer, an overpowerd build-it-yourself tower model with a water cooling system. How far I'll overclock the thing depends on how much smoke comes out of the grills. :D
Anyways, I was thinking about all these first-person shoot-em-up games and how dull they look on a single screen. I've once seen a setup where a flight simulator game was running on over nine monitors placed in a half-circle. Although I don't want to go that far, I still wouldn't mind spreading a game such as Quake or the upcoming Doom III on three monitors placed side by side.
Do any of these games support multiple monitor? And can they handle a minimum of three monitors?
Believe it or not, this is just the first step of a highly elaborate plan. :)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Doom III will support multiple monitors...it's been demoed on the Parhelia card, and lately, the ATi 9700. I imagine that UT2 and possibly Deus Ex 2 will as well.
I envy you...enjoy your water cooling. :)

Jason_J

Auditioning
I found an interesting link at Tom's Hardware Guide that would have to be the ultimate FPS multi-screen display. Any Unreal Tournamet players should take a look. The software is free and you only need 2 projectors.
CaveUT 1.2
Just remember to take your Dramamine.

Nick_Murphy

Agent
Now, does anybody know if it is possible to find software to alter say a geforce 3, or even a radeon card to do a triple display. I understand that the matrox cards use two dvi ports and come with adaptors to turn them into 3 D-Sub (or standard monitor) ports. Myself, i have 1 d-sub and 1 DVI to work with, anybody now if it's possible to get a TRUE triple display with these two ports, i know the adaptors are available :) thanx!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Nick, that's EXACTLY what I needed! One card, three RGB outputs! I was afraid I'd have to purchase three individual graphics cards, but the Matrox card obviously solves that problem. And the overall resolution is just right for what I'm planning to do with it. In fact, I'll have to lower the resolution down to either 600 or 768 pixels high once I wire that sucker to the three individual DLP projectors...

You're probably wondering now what I'm planning to do with this thing. If I manage to develop the game controller I intend to use with these games, I'll post some screenshots. But that won't be for a little while yet. Just one single projector is expensive enough. But three of them is a mortgage!

In the meantime, I'm planning to use the multi-display capabilities for some amateur video editing and DVD authoring along with having a more usable desktop arrangement. And I have the means to get my hands on some used 17" monitors reasonably cheap.

Danny, thanks for the heads-up on the Athlon. I originally intended to go with a Pentium based motherboard, but it seems the Pentium chips have limited overclocking capabilities. Plus, they're much more expensive which is no fun if you burn one out.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Gerald, the 3-D glasses won't work with me. I have no central vision in my right eye. All those glasses will do is give me a splitting headache with the right eye's remaining peripheral vision trying to understand what the [BLEEP] is going on. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks