What's new

FIRST LOOK: "Enemy At the Gates" - Extraordinary! (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I saw this movie for the first time on DVD and needless to say, it’s excellent. Excellent movie. I saw no flaws with the movie at all and don’t understand the complains about the love triangle. It’s so subtle that you cannot even call it a love triangle! Nothing happens! It’s just a one-sided crush (Fiennes’s character) !
But yet again. I didn’t write to say this. I wrote to say that this film confirmed something for me for the n’th time again. That Ed Harris is one of the greatest actors of our time. He is absolutely excellent. I just hope two things for him. To get even better roles in better movies and to finally get his Oscar. My god, how many times has he been nominated? And always robbed!

Craig Crane

Stunt Coordinator
Loved this movie. I expected to hate it, so it came as a nice surprise. I bought it blind, so that was another great surprise. In terms of picture quality, its way up there with Hannibal (this years most cinematic transfer to date!!!)
------------------
Link Removed

JohanK

Second Unit
Rented it last night and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I remember the ads for this flick and the feeling of not being too impressed...I was wrong. This is a really good film. The DVD looks excellent and I found the sound to be good also.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this film, but I thought it had a few flaws. It seemed awfully jumpy at times to me, like whole parts were cut. Did anyone else feel that towards the beginning after Vassili saw the newspaper it kind of jumped real quickly? The next thing is he's in some building with two other snipers who are kissing, then that kid comes along, takes him to the home in the basement, then Danilov shows up and somehow knew where to find him even the Vissili had just been introduced to these people. There were a few places like this where big leaps in the timeline took place that I would have liked to have seen something leading up to it. Other than that I though the acting, video and sound were all real good.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, I'm certainly glad I saw the movie before reading this thread... between the posts here just about the entire story has been revealed. :)
------------------
/Kimmo

John GB

Stunt Coordinator
I got to see this movie Joe Sixpack style. At the beach, in a rental house on a 21" mono (not properly calibrated) older TV. The movie was engaging enough that I enjoyed it thoroughly.
The movie I watched the following night was a 1990 flick called "State of Grace" also starring Ed Harris. I didn't plan on watching two Ed Harris flicks back-to-back but, unbelievably, they had the exact same ending (one right through Ed's noggin). Talk about synchronicity!
Yesterday, at home, I watch the first half hour of EATG in splendid 5.1 surround. What a difference!
tongue.gif

------------------

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I saw this at the theaters, and FINALLY watched it at home just a few minutes ago.
This looked and sounded great! Alot better at home then at the theater :)
I thought the bass was perfect in this movie.
no complaints!
Anybody who hasn't watched or purchased this yet, PLEASE DO! A MUST SEE/BUY!
------------------

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Chris Caine,
You are not alone! I also saw edge enhancement at several intervals or scenes -mostly on shots with lots of sun light- in an absolutely pristine 35mm theatrical print of POTA (2001)...and couldn't believe my eyes. I even asked a friend of mine sitting next to me if what I have just seen wasn't a product of an imagination ran amok. He agreed we were seeing the same phenomenon. Rats! Must be all that CGI stuff, eh?
-THTS

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just watched this a few night back for the first time and this is a very good movie. I was impressed - better than what I was expecting.
The video/audio quality is superb, as well. A good movie to buy.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Finally saw this one, and man did I dig it! I was sincerely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'll be returning the rental and purchasing one for my collection.
It may be booted over the next few months, but Enemy at the Gates currently has a place on my Top Ten movies of 2001.
------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
ofcsminilogo2.gif

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just picked this up used at a mom and pop video store for 9.99. It's a very good movie with a great transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks