What's new

FIRST LOOK: "Enemy At the Gates" - Extraordinary! (1 Viewer)

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I think the sound was pretty bad..
It could have been much better!
icon13.gif

------------------
Go see my new theater CINEMAX! updated 2001-08-01
Then please sign my guestbook!!
seatviewthumb.JPG

http://cine-max.tripod.com/cinemax/

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I really liked this movie a lot (even more than the novel it's based on), except for the climactic fight scene- what the HELL were they thinking??? I won't spoil it here, but after all those thrilling and intelligent duels, they ended it in SUCH a STUPID way! (Note that I'm not referring to the denoument afterwards. . .that was fine, the love story actually didn't bother me.)
I forgot this was coming out. . .maybe time to pay a visit to my pals at DeepDiscountDVD. . .

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I didn't watch it on my best system, but it did seem to have pretty good bass. I'll have to leave that call for someone else.
Overall it seemed like a decent enough basic disk, but that fluff featurette was lacking. I didn't listen to the commentary so I can't speak to that, but this film is custom made for something like the 13 Days treatment with all it's true story information. Paramount could've stepped up to the level of the compitition on this one, but they stayed in their own ballpark instead. I really was ready to see a 1 hour A&E special on this guy or something after the film, as it's a facinating true story.
The film itself needed direction. It tried to be too many films at once, any one of which was interesting, but by dabbling in each it keeps the pacing from really hitting it's stride.
I think it could have benefitted by showing the sniper's day in more detail as it often glossed over those moments and really shined when it did show a bit of them (like when the Russian expert arrives or when Jude gets pinned down).
The romance didn't bother me a bit, but as I said that is a seperate style of story and forces the film to shift gears between the triangle, the sniping, the war-is-hell message, the Dr. Zhivago-like Russian politics themes (Fiennes reminded me of Pasha a little), and just kills the developing tension in each of these subplots when it jumps to another.
A pleasant film, a respectable purchase, but I wouldn't call it a "must" purchase myself. Save that for Memento in about a month.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I've just watched it and liked it a lot. Could have been better in several ways, but definitely a title I will be keeping.
Sound was fine, if a little 'choked' sounding in places. A bit too much going on without enough 'air', so to speak. But other than that, a decent soundtrack. I can't agree on the bass issue - I got plenty on my system. The department store scene - lots of bass during the approach of the German bombers (only a few seconds but effective). When the shot changes to an aerial view of the first bomber the floor practically heaved. The sound is a bit forward-biased, but the audio spread across the front soundstage is nicely done. I especially liked the 'distant' bass effects, with the sound of bombs and mortars going off a long way away.
And Rachel Wiess. Phwoarrrr!
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed
[Edited last by Rob Gillespie on August 11, 2001 at 11:29 AM]

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
yeah,
Rachel...still looks best in SFTSea...haven't watched Sunshine yet.
but she was kinda silly in this one...ever seen ..I mean, I was thinking animal. oh...Jean Jacques. lol.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a chance to rent "Enemy at the Gates" last night and just wanted to say that it's by far the best war film I've seen lately. The acting was excellent especially Jude Law. I had heard stories of how cruel the Russians were to their own men but this brought it home.
Contrast this film to any Hollywood war film. DVD was excellent even in low light scenes. Sound track didn't have much rear activity however.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
We rented Enemy at the Gates last night and loved it.
BTW, that love story, and especially that love-making scene in the factory seemed totally out of place. That entire scene could have been dropped and not affected the rest of the movie at all.
Ed Harris was sure one cold sucker in this one (the bit with the kid...)

Matt_P

Second Unit
I saw this film twice theatrically, and loved it. I picked up the disc yesterday at a great price, and am satisfied with the quality, overall. Great picture, menus, and bonus features, considering it's from Paramount. The deleted scenes were a great addition (look for a crude Hitler joke in the scene entitled "Pier," which sends Jude Law into a rare belly laugh).
There were some disappointments. The sound was a pretty solid 5.1 mix for about 3/4 of the film. The opening sequence, which I think is one of the most riveting in recent memory, was lacking in bass impact and was a bit muffled. However, later in the film, the audio becomes more crisp, and bass, more defined. I would also liked to have seen a commentary track from Jean-Jacques Annaud (he wrote, directed, and produced.....strange he didn't do a track). And finally, the disc came in one of those horrid Savanco cases, which are simply the bane of my DVD existence....
Nevertheless, this is a great disc with a solid presentation which is not to be missed by even the most casual war film fan.
BTW, did anyone notice the appearance of score from The Thin Red Line temp tracked to at least one of the deleted scenes? This seems to be a popular score for temping. One of the deleted scenes on the Thirteen Days Infinifilm release also featured a clip from Zimmer's score, namely the track "The Coral Atoll." Just a bit of trivia for all my fellow film score fans out there.
------------------
"Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts." - Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
This was a highly anticipated release for me. I saw it in theaters and thought it was near perfect. The love story didn't support the ending, IMO, as I clearly thought Spoiler:she was dead. But upon a second viewing, I was wrong so I enjoyed the very end more and even appreciated it for it's subtlety and lack of melodrama.
I really adore this movie. I have been reading for fun about the battle of Stalingrad and seeing EATG again made me hungry for more info on the bloodiest battle in human history.
The acting was superb. I was very touched by the desperation of the sex act. It was two people doing right by themselves, their families and their ideals finding a moment to be humans among all of the death and destruction.
I for one am calling for an Oscar nomination for the film and for Jude Law. And yes, I realize it is August but it is almost September!
redface.gif
)
My observation agrees with other comments that the bass was very good, the picture quality was superb and the sound field was forward focused. I don't recall a movie that let me feel distant bombing as well as EATG. Maybe a sound Oscar, too?
I am quite impressed by this film and am happy to have it in my collection.
------------------
Ivan Lindenfeld
I call it "Extreme Hometheater" Ask me about the Audi TT!
[Edited last by Ivan Lindenfeld on August 15, 2001 at 09:06 PM]
[Edited last by Ivan Lindenfeld on August 15, 2001 at 09:07 PM]

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
When the shot changes to an aerial view of the first bomber the floor practically heaved.
Boy, you said it Rob. For a brief moment I thought I had bass shakers in my sofa as the vibration was very powerful. In fact, through much of this film my SVS was a-thumpin'.
I've always been fascinated with snipers which may explain why I enjoyed this movie so much. If you felt that Pvt. Roy Jackson (Barry Pepper) in Saving Private Ryan was the most interesting character in the film, you will likely feel the same.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
clearly, some guys here and some review sites have an hardware or bass management issue.
I'm sure I won't have this problem when I'll play the disc
biggrin.gif

for snipers movies, check SAVIOR and SNIPER.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I've seen Sniper but not Savior. I'll have to check that one out.
At the risk of ruffling some feathers, I agree that some may have a hardware or bass management issue. The Widescreen Review link you posted mentioned that much of the bass is in the mains so a bass management problem for some isn't out of the question.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I was listening to music earlier in the evening and had my fronts set for small. I forgot to change them back to large when I played the opening two scenes of the movie ("wolf shooting" and "train, boats and planes" (the names are mine)). I realized that there should be more bass and changed over to large and LFE+Main and lo and behold there was a lot more bass there.
I can't tell if it comes from the LFE or mains since I have Klipsch SP1's and the sub is in the main speaker enclosure.
------------------
Ivan Lindenfeld
I call it "Extreme Hometheater" Ask me about the Audi TT!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
The bass was outstanding on this disc. Explosions were muffled like they were off in the distance, which made the bombing seem really realistic to me.
I was kinda' disappointed that the surrounds weren't put to better use though. A very front-heavy mix for material that I felt should have been far more immersive. Regardless, I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Excellent flick. Just got done watching it. My opinion is a bit biased since I'm a war film fanatic, but I'd put it towards the top of my list. Top 20% I guess.
------------------
-Brian
lotr.jpg

My DVD List

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I watched my rental copy of EATG last night and I will now be buying it. I had no problem with the sound or bass at all. Sure the surrounds were not as active but the forward soundstage sounded fantastic. I also had no problems with the love triangle, it didn't slow the film down at all for me. Ed Harris was fantastic as the cold hearted son-of-a-bitch Nazi sniper. What I want to know is why people are complaining about seeing Rachael's cute ass in the love-scene?
blush.gif

One thing that I really enjoyed about the film was that the Director chose to leave the gore in *cough* Pearl Harbor *cough*. When people get shot, there is blood and other bad things. It gives a war film a more realistic gritty feel.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Matt_P

Second Unit
The sound is great, I agree. I do have all my settings correct. However, my sub isn't very good. I'm sure that's the root of the problem.
During some scenes, such as the first appearance of the German Heinkel bombers ("Ludmilla, stay where you are!!!!"), the bass came through very well. This disc has some of the most amazing atmospheric sound. The distant, background explosions during dialogue scenes provide some tight bass, and always remind you of where you are...
------------------
"Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts." - Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
Well I took Ron's advice (and everyone elses') on EOTG and purchased this one blindly. What a great film, one of the better war films I've seen in quite some time. Very gritty and suspensful. Great acting in it also. I'll be watching this one quite a few times. Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks