What's new

First Info on Charmed: Season 2!!! :-) (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
There's hope on the extras front, perhaps. Don't get too excited... I have no inside info, but...

Usually, the "Paramount Television" label has been devoid of extras, with the exception of a few extras on early seasons of Frasier and Cheers. Looking through Paramount's latest press release, these "Paramount Television" releases have extras:

Have Gun Will Travel, Season 2 (5/10)
Extras: Production Notes

Joan of Arcadia, Season 1 (5/10)
Extras: Deleted Scenes, 5 commentaries, Featurette

The Andy Griffith Show, Season 2 (5/24)
Extras: Original Sponsor Spots

Like I said, I have no info on Charmed, but the trend is encouraging.

-Scott

John McM

Second Unit
this really ticks me off. I was able to overlook the fact that Charmed was extras-less because Paramount was going to release them in intervals of 3 months, but 6 months? Hell, the seasons following 4 really are not worth a six month wait between sets IMO (I am partial to the Shannen years, but I thought the show still was very strong in season 4, but then everything went downhill in season 5). If I'm gonna have to wait 6 months between seasons, Season 4 is my stopping point.

The way Paramount was planning things, we would've seen all the way up to season 6 on the shelf by the time Charmed's final episode airs in May 2006, but now it looks like we'll probably only see three.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Yeah...
I don't like the delay either... but my love for this show... all the way to the current season... will force me to wait it out and get every season they make available.

Even though I didn't think it was possible at the time... I love the Rose McGowen years just as much I do the Shannen Doherty years. At the time I thought when they lost Shannen Doherty the show was all but over.

John McM

Second Unit
well, what I dislike about seasons 5+ compared to 1-4 is that the first few seasons, the show was a drama with supernatural overtones, much like Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel or something, but then starting with season 5, the show went from drama to a fantasy show that appeals to kids. I've gone to Charmed message boards with predominantly 12 year olds who talk about how boring the show was with Prue, but how good it is now. This is exactly what Shannen Doherty meant when she was bashing how many kids watch the show compared to adults nowadays

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I agree that Seasons 1-4 took itself more seriously and that seasons 5 on is more based in fantasy. And I can see where some fans will only go as far as season 3 or 4... But I myself like it both ways. Even though I do feel it has gone downhill a little this current season. So I wouldn't be surprised if this will be the last season of Charmed. Although if they want to give us an 8th season I will give it a try and see what they come up with. :)

Besides... As long as Holly Marie Combs is on the show I will definately be watching! :b

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Scott, one problem is that list is 2 CBS titles, and 1 Paramount. I believe there are different teams working on these, and Paramount just distributes the CBS stuff, just like they distribute MTV and Nick titles (they don't work on those ones either).

My fear is that Paramount has seen how many people bought season 1 without extras, so why spend the money on season 2 when they'll probably just have all the same people for season 2? If you've read my review then you'll know how I feel about the lack of extras, but Paramount's research has told them people aren't buying the sets for the extras, just the episodes.

Blah

Gord

John McM

Second Unit
but why postpone the sets for so long if they're going to be too cheap to put bonus material? I mean, season THREE was supposed to be out in August. Paramount sucks, they were supposed to do this Feb/May/Aug/Nov pattern with Cheers, Frasier, Taxi, Charmed and I Love Lucy, but they ended up reniging on that

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
That makes sense Gord...
And I hate to see them release these without extras. but I can't see not buying them just because of it... I am to huge of a fan.

Another thing I hate that I have seen on season 1 as well as season 1 of Macgyver... Paramount not putting scene select for the episodes... seems like the chapters are there but no scene select menues.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

I agree that this really does suck... but I for one won't let that stop me from collecting my favorite shows. It will tell me not to listen to any future release dates from that company until I see it completely confirmed.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
On the CBS vs. Paramount issue, you're right Gord - though the latest press release direct from Paramount lists all those as "Paramount Television" releases (I looked before I posted). Perhaps it's a misprint. Or, perhaps there's less separating the entities than we think. They are both under the Viacom Corp.

And, regarding the speed of release... I can't get too upset about it. At least (so far) there hasn't been a series abandoned by Paramount after a season is released. Between Paramount, CBS, PBS, MTV and Nickelodeon, the studio is distributing a lot of product lately. Besides, with few exceptions, Paramount never makes promises more than 3-4 months out. You can't blame the studio if the rumor mill, retailers, or news sites list titles far in advance. For the most part, if an "announcement" is more than 4 months out, it isn't official.

-Scott

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
That is very true Scott... on the speed of the releases... If I remember right Paramount never said it would be every 3 months... that was just a rumor... never anything official so we really can't blame Paramount for that atleast. The extras and the no scene select menu on the other hand... that can be blamed on Paramount.

John McM

Second Unit

what about Happy Days, Mork And Mindy and Laverne And Shirley? we've seen two seasons of Taxi (which I consider a superior show anways) since the time season 1 of those shows were released, and there's still no word on a timeframe or anything for season 2

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
... and there's been absolutely no indication that they won't continue with these, either.

With 20 - 40 releases every month, Paramount distributes more product than many studios.

Patience.

-Scott

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Paramount planned to release them every 3 months, but as other have mentioned, things change. They could have assumed season 1 would sell well, then freaked out and decided to wait and see how well the first season sold before committing to season 2, and once they saw how strong the sales were it was too late to get it back on track for May. Just a guess though. We're always faced with the decision to post possible release dates, or hold off until things are set in stone with an official release date announced by the studio. Half the people say "put it up!!" and half would say, "wait!!" so it's a tough call. We usually decide to post it, but add some pretty heavy disclaimers which are usually ignored when the information is posted elsewhere (*cough* TVTome *cough*).

As for CBS/Paramount - yes, they're on the same grid that Paramount distributes, along with MTV, Comedy Central and the Nickelodeon, but that's just because Paramount markets and distributes all the titles. It's the same with Warner/HBO/BBC - all distributed and marketed by Warner Bros, but three very distinct companies involved. That's why we see quality, decent-priced sets from Warner Bros, and...umm....HBO sets.

All the distribution deals can be very confusing. Some of the smaller studios do deals where they license the material and create the sets, and other times they're simply bringing "finished goods" to retail, and have little say in the product itself (if any). This is why I always try to draw distinction between the Cannell releases and Anchor Bay, because I don't feel the sets portray Anchor Bay in a good light, and they have nothing to do with putting them together; the same with Highlander/Hercules/Xena, which is done by Anderson-Davis.

Gord

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Ok, I can't let a Charmed thread go by without putting something in: Paramount, please please please get these sets out to us quickly! I need my HMC fix! :D

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I was really hoping season 2 would make the rumored May release. It contains one of my absolute favorite episodes of the series, Morality Bites. Hell, it may be my favorite.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

yeah Morality Bites was an excellent episode! I also Really enjoyed...

- P3 H2O
- Awakened
- Pardon My Past
- Murphy's Luck
- Chick Flick

But of course they were all good in my opinion! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks