What's new

First impressions of SVS (1 Viewer)

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Use same Q and Frequency, but just a little bit less level (0.5-1 notches less).

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Okay, I took some measurements to show you how the PEQ really works.

I'm referring the notch 1, 2, 3 etc. as the notches on the knob.

1 = MIN (fully left)
5 = HALF
9 = MAX (fully right)

Notice how the level doesn't affect almost at all until at 6th notch (green). The biggest effect is between the 8th and the 9th notches.

Q = 8, Level = from 1 to 9, Frequency = 20 Hz

Same thing here, before 6th or 7th notch almost zero effect.

Q = 1, Level = 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Frequency = 20 Hz

Again, same thing also with higher frequencies.

Q = 2, Level = 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, Frequency = 45 Hz (up)

Notice how the Q setting has a reversed effect. Only the first 4 or 5 notches have a noticeable effect. After the 6th they are identical.

Q = 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, Level = 9, Frequency = 45 Hz (up).

These are my favourite settings for the 20 Hz tune. Notice how much better the overall FR is after the PEQ. But of course there is still a big slope after the 45 Hz, since the anechoic FR slopes also. But I also have a small null at 90 Hz, which affects a little bit.

Q = 7, Level = 8.5, Frequency = 20 Hz.

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
I skimmed this thread and have one idea. When I got my SVS, it seemed like the thing was bottoming out all the time. Then I realized that the sub was bouncing on my hard floor.

If you are using this machine on a hard floor, the "bottoming" you are hearing could be the sound of it bouncing around. Slip a small rug or a piece of carpet padding under it and you are golden.

Sorry if my post is crackpot, but the graphs and settings part of the thread made my little head spin and I just could not bear to let this slip by without making a comment.

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
Much thanks to Illka for posting his general guidelines for setting PEQ without equipment. Thank you, thank you.

Using just Avia freq sweeps and a RS meter, I was able to at least determine that I was picking up somewhere around 13db of room gain below 30hz. I used his settings mentioned above as a starting point guideline and tweaked by ear from there once I got the concept.

I would not have thought to use the PEQ to apply such a broad cut that in effect all at once negates much of the generalized room gain in that lowest octave. Fantastic result.

To give you an idea the impact (literally) that it made, I have my HT in a fully insulated basement with a drop drywall ceiling above that has R16 above the ceiling and a 6" air gap above that to the bottom of the kitchen floor above. To date I've always been able to play whatever I wanted as loud as I wanted down there with nary a peep from my wife. Last night after fine tuning these adjustments with various test scenes I'd played before at the same calibrated levels, and lovin' the results, she came downstairs with this "what is going on down here?" look on her face. :frowning:

When she walked in, I was replaying the opening flyover from AOTC, which she'd not seen before. She was intrigued by the bass pressurizing the room so she sat down to watch for a bit. When the ship exploded, her reaction was priceless to say the least.

At that point I knew it was time to step away from the Ultra and leave the PEQ settings right where they are.

Illka, thanks again! :)

Tim

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
all I have to say is congrats.

my wife never complained of bass until I bought an SVS and opened the cellar door to yell at me and said " what the hell is going on down there ? everything is falling off the walls and shelves up here!"

that was a hell of a laugh been then realized im not gonna be able to push the sub when she is around, but she has git use to it and doesnt complain much unless nick nacks are falling off the walls. lol :)

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
Oh I hear you Ralph. I've had the PC Ultra for a few months now and while it has been impressive so far in pressurizing the room, this took it to a whole new level. The definition in the slam it produces now is more breathtaking, and that translates too into crisper shocking bass working it's way upstairs now ... :D

Tim

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
LOL, I actually had my neighbours wife come knocking on my door and complaining their house was shaking after I upgraded from PCI to PCU. :D

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

WOW! Very nice Tim and great advice from Ilkka. I have always been so pleased, that I never have played with the PEQ. Guess what I'll be trying out next week? I think it's going to get even better? This might/will take care of a EQ issue I've had in the past that I haven't gotten around to dealing with also.

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
My current PEQ settings are as follows:

Q = 6
Level = 7.5
Freq = 20

For Q and Level, the value above refers to the number of notches from the left. When I had Q at 7, I was losing a little bit of punch in comparison to where it is now.

I may consider bringing the Level up to 8 and then recalibrate, but I'm going to leave it like this for awhile.

I have the sub calibrated about 4db hot. SS filter at 20hz, all ports open.

Tim

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Glad that those pictures of mine helped you. I know how big difference that it. :)

Steve, you haven't dialed the PEQ's?!?

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
Ilkka, I could just hug you for the help you've given ... you know, er, ... in a guy sort of way, of course.:D

Hope all is well with you,

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks