What's new

First Home Theater System (1 Viewer)

bam2403

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Spiegelman
Hey

I am planning on getting my first speaker system.

After doing research on the subject, my budget drastically rose from $350 up to $1000

I decided on:

Onkyo 608 Receiver - $380
Fluance SX-HTB+ Speaker System - $300
Polk PSW505 Sub - $230

I was originally going to get the Polk PSW110 ($125) but I went to frys and heard the Boston Acoustic CS Sub10 ($200) which sounded infinitely better.

Basically I'm asking two questions.
1. Will the Polk PSW505 sub sound better than the Boston Acoustic one?
and
2. Overall what do you think of the setup and what could I change to make it better?

FYI - I will be using this is a decent sized room connected to a PS3, XBOX360, Cox HD DVR and a 50in Sony 1080P WEGA LCD Rear Projection TV.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Onkyo receivers and Fluance speakers are both recommended here by a lot of people. Polk subs are not. Neither are Boston. Lava Subs has a model in your price range - http://www.lavasubs.com/10_inch/powered_home_subwoofer.html

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Dan,

Follow Robert J's advise on the subs he is quite knowledgeable on the subject.

I hope you realize by what you are proposing to buy that you will have a 5.1 channel surround system not Stereo System as your topic line indicates.

bam2403

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Spiegelman
@ Bill, I know that its 5.1, when I said "Stereo" I meant it as a setup of speakers that was more than one.

So that Lava Sub will sound better than the BA one?

Also I'm strongly considering the Pioneer VSX-1020-K instead of the Onkyo, does any one have any thoughts on that?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm a huge Pioneer fan. I haven't looked at the current models but I'd buy one in a second if I needed to replace my older Pioneer. The receiver in my home theater is 6 years old. The receiver in my office is 18 years old.

The Lava sub will play louder and lower than the BA or Polk sub.

AVES

Grip
Real Name
Frank
Hi HTF members.. has anyone considered subs by Definitive Technology and/or Velodyne? Great bang for the buck.

Regards,

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks