What's new

First Home Theater Set Up (1 Viewer)

PurdueStutz514

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
Hello all, I am working on setting up my first home theater, For the purpose of this thread, forget about any cabling issues or components that do not have anything to do with audio (such as TVs, Media Players, Blu-Rays, etc.) I have looked around on the internet, and I have found one receiver I like, but is very expensive (the Denon AVR-3313CI). But that is just after looking briefly. So what I really need your help with is the audio components: speakers, the AVR, and any amplifiers (only if necessary.) I have a few things I want to accomplish: Main Zone with 7.1 channel surround sound – A solid center channel, good AVR, solid left/right tower speakers, and rears Zone 2 with small TV – Using different source than main zone, in front of treadmill, no speakers other than the ones in the TV Zone 3 in the Workroom – Stereo Audio (No TV) I do have three pairs of speakers that could be used: RBH TK-6 – I can only assume that these are not horrible speakers from a Google search, so I would like to use these as the surround speakers (not the rear surrounds) Wharfedale Diamond III – These are very old, but if they could be used as temporary bookshelf speakers in my main zone while I wait to buy tower speakers, that would be great. Presidian PBS-5053 – These will be put in the third zone. Ignore the second and third zones; just know that I need an AVR that can support all three zones. These would almost never be used at the same time, but I don’t want to have to buy more than one AVR. The room I plan to place the main zone in is relatively small, at (DIMENSIONS) Budget: $1800 (but if I can slip any cost savings in there that would be great) Other than that, the floodgates are open for speakers you have used, brand loyalties, etc. If you have any questions and/or information is unclear, just ask. Thanks in advance for any help, PurdueStutz

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You aren't even touching the AVR at your "complete budget". Try again. What is your "total budget"? I see this costing $3500+ for HDMI Zone 2 If you drop to component video Zone 2, you are still dropping $3000.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The lowest price "HDMI Zone 2" AVR is the Onkyo 3010(possibly the Elite SC67...haven't checked "today" what Amazon is selling the 3010 for) But neither of those AVR is $1800. And since you "want video 2nd zone", how did you pick the 3313? The 3313 is the last AVR you should buy for 2nd zone video. Onkyo, pioneer/Elite and Yamaha all have models more capable on component video. But a quick question... Do you even understand the practical difference between "component Zone 2" vs "HDMI Zone 2"?

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
The Yamaha rx-a3010 should do anything he needs for less than 1300. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RX-A3010-9-2-Channel-410-Watt-Receiver-RXA3010-/281043182789?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item416f7aa4c5

PurdueStutz514

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
Here is an except from the Denon Website "Three-Source, Three-Zone Capability The AVR-3313CI can be the centerpiece of a three-zone system, including the main room plus two additional playback areas, with independent sources available for each zone. It supports up to two different video sources and three different audio sources." Plus, I found I could buy it refurbished for under 900 bucks. Forgive me for my ignorance, however this seemed like it fit my needs along with allowing about $1100 for speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My bad on the 3313, was not aware Denon actually had a feature for less than Elite, Onkyo and Yamaha. That would be the first time(outside of Audyssey Multi-EQ XT) in 15 years Denon had a feature for less than everybody else. And it is here, for even less...free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00A659J88/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr= I assumed, with Denon, you had to go up to the 4520 to get Zone 2 HDMI. (Zone 2 HDMI only exists on 7 total AVR...Have to go back and check...with the 3313, that might make 8)

PurdueStutz514

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
No problem. That's one of the reasons I really liked it. But what I really need help with are the speakers for the rest of the 7.1 system. I have the surrounds, so I need the rear surrounds, subwoofer, left, right, and center channels. What would you guys recommend? Would you buy a speaker set like the ones available from Klipsch? Or would you buy individually?

PurdueStutz514

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
schan1269 said:
My bad on the 3313, was not aware Denon actually had a feature for less than Elite, Onkyo and Yamaha. That would be the first time(outside of Audyssey Multi-EQ XT) in 15 years Denon had a feature for less than everybody else. And it is here, for even less...free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00A659J88/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=used&me=&qid=&seller=&sr= I assumed, with Denon, you had to go up to the 4520 to get Zone 2 HDMI. (Zone 2 HDMI only exists on 7 total AVR...Have to go back and check...with the 3313, that might make 8)
By the way, that link is to an Onkyo 5.1 channel AVR.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why not buy more RBH? Even though this guy wants a laughable amount of money for shipping...he's not far off anyway... http://www.ebay.com/itm/RBH-750-series-3-piece-LCR-speakers-dual-kevlar-6-5-woofers-and-1-silk-dome-tw-/380427839504?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5893442810

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here's the "correct" link for the 3313 at A4L... http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR3313CI/DENON-AVR-3313CI-7.2-Networking-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K-Ready/1.html I clicked an Amazon page by mistake...

PurdueStutz514

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
I don't have a ton of room for bookshelf speakers, and I don't really like the look of stands, so I was think more of buying some floor standing ones. I liked the Polk TSi500s, what do you think of them.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
TSi/Monitor/Monitor ii/"new" Monitor are all pretty close. The TSi get a slightly larger tweeter...otherwise the guts are close. They are good for the price. Another speaker you could look at(and we could be at "this" all day)... http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Tower-Speakers

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Another good speaker...I still give the edge to HTD for the Kapton.... http://www.axiomaudio.com/m50-floorstanding-speakers But Axiom makes even more impressive speakers...where the "Level Three" is the best HTD does. The main advantage to Axiom is the fact they are freakishly efficient...without being horn.

PurdueStutz514

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
schan1269 said:
Another good speaker...I still give the edge to HTD for the Kapton.... http://www.axiomaudio.com/m50-floorstanding-speakers But Axiom makes even more impressive speakers...where the "Level Three" is the best HTD does. The main advantage to Axiom is the fact they are freakishly efficient...without being horn.
Thanks! I did not even know about those companies, and I will look into them. But what about a center speaker? I have this shelf above the TV that is only about 1 foot deep, 1 ft tall, and 4 feet long. What could I fit there? There isn't another place I could put it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I make my living buying/selling used AV equipment, so it fluctuates...but...at the moment... Main theatre... JVC projector, Onkyo NR1008, Panasonic BD, Mitsubishi VCR, Acer Revo, Onk DVSP 506(for SACD/DVD-A and DVD), BIC V830 with 2 pairs BIC V820, BIC V62(height), V52CLRS and DIY 15" sub. Living room... Hitachi plasma, Onkyo SR707, Sony BD, JVC VCR, RCA CED, Pioneer LD, Wii, Onkyo CD, Nakamichi Cassette, Dual turntable, DCM TF600, DCM TF350, DCM KX6(wide), DCM Dreamscape center and M&K sub. Office...(mainly SACD/DVD-A) Hitachi plasma, Integra DTR 7.8, Integra DPS 6.7, Tandberg reel 2 reel, Akai cassette, 2 pairs Infinity Crescendo 3007, Infinity "mutt" center, DIY "mutt" sub. Bedroom... Panasonic plasma, Integra DTR 5.8, Polk S8, Polk S6, "some" Polk center, DCM Sub710, Roku. All rooms in the house have Directv as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks