What's new

First FFXI release news for anyone interested... (1 Viewer)

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I found this over at Xengamers:
While thousands of players gleefully picked up copies of Square's long awaited PlayStation 2 RPG Final Fantasy XI today in Japan, few have been able to play the game online. Despite Square's assurances regarding the ability to handle network traffic, the registration system for Square's PlayOnline service was overwhelmed within hours of the game's release. Square issued a formal apology regarding the problem this morning, and assured customers that they're expanding the registration system to handle thousands of simultaneous requests. It's currently unknown how long it will take to fix the registration system. Nevertheless, tonight we're pleased to present some new footage from the finished version below. Expect full impressions and more media in the coming days.
There are a few links to the CGI movie of the game though I could only get one to work.
Dean

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Baby steps...that's where online console gaming is at right now. It's exciting, but at the same time we're going to be guinea pigs in a large experiment.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Baby steps...that's where online console gaming is at right now. It's exciting, but at the same time we're going to be guinea pigs in a large experiment.
Whats sad is that the PC market (especially MMORPG's) see the same kind of login issues and horrendous performance issues at launch. WWII Blitzkrieg, Anarchy Online, The Luclin expansion for EQ. All horrible launches. Dark Age is one of the few exceptions. Its an unfortunate problem but thankfully most of these games are now playable and enjoyable.

You are very right Masood, online gaming in general is still in its infancy. I hope console gamers can overcome some of these hurdles quickly.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Is there a off-line mode to FFXI much like PSO for the Dreamcast?

I know I can't pass this game up... but I'd much prefer an offline mode with no monthy charges.

Brian

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
O well.... I still have to get it, I have FF 4-10, I can't just skip 11 :frowning:
I'll just have to limit my self to a few months... or it will get out of hand like Dark Age did :) (just about to stop playing after 7 months of not much else)
Brian

Oscar_R

Second Unit
only aprehension i have about this is how difficult it will be to configure it to play online. I haven't seen much on this. I see mention of an ethernet adapter. so does that mean everyone who wants to play this will basically have to set up a network in their homes? set up a LAN next to their TV's?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
so does that mean everyone who wants to play this will basically have to set up a network in their homes? set up a LAN next to their TV's?
No, the game does support dial up connections. The Ethernet adapter is for those that use a broadband connection.
Another major issue the game is seeing is the lack of availability for the PS2 hard drive in retail outlets. Considering the game requires the HD I can see how that would be a problem:frowning:.

James St

Supporting Actor
Since the game will be online only does Square plan on selling the game at a lower cost to make the whole experience more affordable? Without internet access the disc would be nothing more than a coaster. Granted that nobody without online access would buy it, I'm curious if they will charge full price for the game plus a premium for online.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
All this online talk has really got me in the worst mood to pull out PSO for the old Dreamcast!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I might pass on this one unless its the best game ever made. I can't justify $50 and around $15 a month for a game that will be obsolete in a few years. At least Square is still giving us a single player FF game.

Speaking of which, shouldn't there be a ton of FFXII media out right now? Square unveiled FFIX, FFX, and FFXI soon after VIII's release, so its seems to be taking them a while to show off XII.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks