What's new

First experience of R3 DVD (1 Viewer)

RobD

Second Unit
Just got my first 2 HK disks, bargain price (Came out at £5.15 each on credit card).

A few observations though.

Battle Royale - Turned out to be widescreen contrary to what I'd heard but not anamorphic. I can't test on any decent equipment until I get home but a computer monitor revealed a reasonable picture which does suffer from alot of noise (Might be present on the original print) though (No EE noticeable). Audio seems good but I will need to test on a decent setup to confirm. Importantly menus are very clear and easy to use.

Rules of Engagement - FLIPPER!!!!! (GRRRRRRRRR...)
Does have about 6.5Gb per side though. Is not anamorphic, again some noise but colours very good and overall perfectly acceptable, picture not up to R2 release though. I'd speculate it has a full bit rate dts track but dont know how to check, anyone know how?

I'd be happy to hear anyone elses opinion on these disks or others. Overall, picture probably not as good as western releases but the price more than makes up for it.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Rob...

I you just watched RETURNER and SHIALON SOCCER....

Both were annamorphic and DTS... Both worth the time to check out...

Dugger

RobD

Second Unit
Theres one thing I dont understand, why do prices of HK DVDs vary so wildly, is it just the retailer I Use? (DDDHouse)

Also, are all Mei Ah releases fippers? (I remember their LDs to be of reasonable quality)

BTW: I might give Returner a buy, looks good.

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
I have the R3 So Close and My Sassy Girl (HK version). Both are outstanding, and the MSG is DTS.

Both of these look ready for R1 in terms of production values. I guess So Close is going to have an English soundtrack added before it gets released here. MSG is probably held up for the US remake, like Ringu was held up. If you can play R3, you don't need to wait for the R1 releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks