First DIY sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Hi,
    I am curious as to wether I can build a sub for $500 (MAX) that will significantly outperfrom my existing Klipsch KSW-12 (good with HT but slow and overbearing with music. My room is 12 x 15). And also I would like to hear what 25 Hz sounds like [​IMG]
    Would I be better of spending $500 of the HSU VTF-2? Would a $500 DIY sub outperform THAT ONE?
    As you can see, I am new to all this [​IMG]. But I am 4th year EE student so I think I can handle the electronics part. By the way, my price range would have to include an amplifier [​IMG]
    Any ideas?
    TIA
    --
    Holadem

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

What amp/power do you plan to use?
    but yes, to your question as DIY subs depending on the config.. will beat majority of commercial subwoofers out there and I am talking in excess of 1G or higher.. Heck, if you do the big boy DIY subs.. start 5G and up
    Julian

3. Paul Ward

Paul Ward Auditioning

Yes, I know that you can build a killer sub for under 500 bucks, because I did it!
    You can build one for even less if you dont use PR's. A sonosub with either a a shiva, tempest, Titan, Stryke should be an improvement over your Klipsch.
    I'm driving my sub with an older Carver TFM-35 bridged to 700 watts that I bought for 300 dollars or you can buy a dedicated amp built just for subs.
    Long story short go for it!!!
    Paul
    My sub construvtion page
    http://www.fastlane.net/~bakersur/tempest.shtml

4. Bill Read

Bill Read Auditioning

To follow in the footsteps of Holadem,
    I understand great performance can be had when building a DIY sonosub, but how will it compare to the fabled SVS?
    In other words, would I be better off to build a tempest driven sonosub or purchase a prefab SVS subwoofer. Overkill does not exist in my world, I would rather have too much than not enough. With that said.
    The wife is grudgingly buying into a 24" in sonosub at ~6' tall. Can I spec this type of water heater to have the potential to outperform the fabled 16-46CS?
    Locally, I can only find 12' lengths of sunotube material. My thought process is this, buy a 12' tube, cut it in half and build two tubes with one Tempest per tube.
    For power, thinking along the lines of a Mackie 1400i.
    I know this has been beaten to death, but I don't want to spend my money and time if the SVS is a better deal. The DIY part I like, but in the end. I WANT BASS!!!
    ------------------
    Bill Read
    Bill's HT
    Bill's DVDs

5. Tom Fowler

Tom Fowler Auditioning

There is little chance that a commercial subwoofer could compete with a DIY. If you are interested in a good subwoofer, I suggest looking at the Lambda SAL15PFPHN in a PR or ported enclosure.
    The SAL15PFPHN motor is "extremely linear" (LDSG). See link for info. http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/motors.php3 http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/vendors/lambda.php3
    The SAL15PFPHN is $199, the PRs are $45 each,(both from Stryke.com) the Apex Sr. is $225 (www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm).
    A good PR sub would be a 7 cF enclosure with the SAL15PFPHN and two SA-PR15-700 passive radiators. This setup gives you a F3 of 20.6 hz. I suggest using the Apex Sr. amp with 380 watts @ 4 ohms for a sub that would produce 120dB+ in room with clean sound. The PRs would put you over budget by about $90.
    Ported would use the same size box with two 4" dia. 20.5" long ports. (or one 6" / 22" port)
    A ported box with the Lambda and Apex would be about $500 but would outclass any commercial sub in that price range. The Pr version would be $90 more with about the same characteristics using two SA-PR15-700 passive radiators.
    ps. I'm an EE principle engineer - comes in handy knowing filter circuitry for reconfiguring the subamp low pass cutoffs! And I thought I would never use laplace after college.

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Hum...
    After doing a search on this forum I found some links which made me realize that I would probably not be able to undertake such a project in my current situation: I am a college student in NYC, I live in a room rented in an apartment. I have no tool except for screw drivers and I can't cut those huge Sonotubes in my room (with the dust and all, my equipement around, etc...). [​IMG] . I would have really liked to do this, as I suspect the process of building the damn thing is as fun as the final result. I guess I will have to wait until I move or something...
    thanks a lot for your input people [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem - NO I am turned off by the amount of work... [​IMG]