What's new

First BD titles under scrutiny: The Fifth Element and others (1 Viewer)

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
It's kind of scary, I can explain the way a computer works right down to the details for almost all of the common hardware, I can even program in 3 different languages. But I have *no* idea what David is talking about, can't remember the last time I ran into a technical explanation of something and was completely lost. Kudos! I love a challenge.

Anyways,

I saw a BR demo today at BB, running the demo disc. I was surprised by the lack of quality to say the least. While I could tell much of it was High-Def, it just looked blurred to me. Kinda like a soften filter for a picture, the detail was there, but it was just...fuzzy...sort of. Not at all like the quality I've seen with HD-DVD.

The player was running on a 40" Samsung 1080p LCD. I didn't think to look what inputs were being used.

Quite disappointed, not commiting to either format until I see a VC1 BR disc and/or a DL BR disc. If that's representative of BR's IQ I may have to go HD-DVD, and I *really* don't want to do that because I'm not thrilled with HD-DVD's capacity or market plans.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still waiting for owners of the Samsung model to report on there experience with picture quality using the component cables. I thought there would be a lot more people trying this out after the Digital Bits report yesterday.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I am using a Marantz DP12-S2 projector on a Stewart Firehawk screen. I have tried both 1080i HDMI and 1080i Component. I see little difference between the two.

Local Best Buy is using the same set-up as described in this thread earlier. The display there is Samsung 40 inch 1080p LCD TV. They were operating at 1080p and used HDMI connection. The demo disc was variable from superb to soft. I don't think it is the BD hardware or BD capability at play. I think that there was poor choice of some of the demo material.

I have 11 Blu-ray titles at home and I have seen no glitches on any with the Samsung player based upon chapter by chapter sampling.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you should qualify that with "his observations are not shared by others, mainly HD DVD owners on one forum." When he posted there, he was insulted, called names, and eventually the moderators had to tell them to lay off. The same thing happened when Chris Walker (a manager at Pioneer) merely posted that they could ask him questions and see a demo if they were in the area. I said it there and and I'll say it here: almost no one outside AVS Forum holds Bill in such low opinion, and especially with such disrespect. The fact that this "courtesy" was extended to a Pioneer official as well was pretty sickening.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jesse, that may have been true about some other threads over at AVS, just like it has been true here, where the moderators won't tolerate it any more, but RobertR has a link to a thread that does not have "mainly HD DVD owners" posting.:rolleyes:The people on that thread are asking legitimate questions about how GOOD the HDMI 1080i output is on the Samsung and how it equals the HDMI 1080i output on the Toshiba, hardly a biased opinion against Blu-ray.:rolleyes:

Knowledgeable people, like Stacey Spears of (Secrets: DVD Benchmark), are testing these things out to correct any false conclusions and will report on that thread.

Paul

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I make no such qualification, because the people I was referring to are SAMSUNG owners making comments about what they see on their own displays. That **some** people on AVS made rude remarks about Hunt is irrelevant to and doesn't change the fact that there are SAMSUNG OWNERS with a different view about HDMI vs. component on the machine from Hunt's. Your attempt to obfuscate that fact by calling into question everything that's said there by trying to divert attention to an unrelated issue involving generalizations about posting behavior doesn't work.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Robert,

That last sentence is exactly what spoils discussions like this and was better left out altogether.

I urge anyone else NOT to react to that part of the post.

Cees

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WHAT IF:
The 'issues' with the first BD release turn out to be hardware, instead of software related?!?!?!?!?!
That would be a tough (not in any way catastrophic) way for Sony, umm, I mean Blu to get started. With 'everyone' thinking titles are not "Blow Away" great, just average, when in fact its the Samsung hardware that's just "average"!!!
Ugh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks