What's new

Firmware v2.0 now available -- adds TrueHD 5.1, fixes 720p output (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The bass on the SD-DVD of Batman Begins literally moved my pant legs with my SVS sub. :) The Tumbler scenes went down and dirty....and moved some air in my sub. Hard to imagine it getting any better. I'm guessing TrueHD opens the soundstage a bit (no pun intended :D).

Can't wait. Even the opening of Goblet Of Fire sounded terrific in 5.1...another title that will bring some silly grins to us all. :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
To enable TrueHD, I understand that I not only need the firmware upgrade, but I also should be connecting the A1 through the 6 channel inputs on my receiver. Right now, I'm hooked up through digital coax, so the question is: where can I get some decently-priced interconnects (for under $100)? The only thing I ever see at Best Buy in terms of HT interconnects is overpriced Monster stuff.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

Just use two sets of component video cables which are cheap at stores like Target or Walmart.

Real Name
Efrain Lopez III
you can use regular RCA audio cables (like the yellow-white-red), except use only the white and red (which are the audio cables...

you can buy RCA white-red (or black-red) audio cables really cheap at radio shack or Target...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I use Altex for interconnects, http://www.altex.com. But I don't see the nifty 5.1 cable I purchased from them online--all six cables in one neat bundle. Very handy. So Robert's suggestion will work, as will three pairs of stereo cables from places as mundane as Radio Shack.

- Steve

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Question about the firmware upgrade... My standard def and HD-DVD playback seems improved but there is now an issue with DVD-Rs that i didn't have before...

Anyone else having issues with the first 5 or so minutes of their DVD-Rs skipping? I never had this issue before the 2.0 update. Now, even DVD-Rs that I played with no problems at all in my Toshiba HD-DVD skip for the first few minutes! This happens with every single DVD-R I put in the unit to play.

DVD-Rs that skip in the Toshiba play absolutely fine in my other two DVD players.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

Good call. I spent all kinds of time just trying to figure out if I could indeed just use RCA stereo connectors as interconnects, when all I had to do was ask here. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Don, I'll check out a DVD-R or DVD+R DL tonight and see.

- Steve

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.

Just to verify, technically they're all the same kind of cable correct? The only problem would come if you used one color to output and put it into a different input right? The colors are mainly to help designate which port you used. I only ask because I'm having audio issues and I used a couple of video (yellow) cables in my analog configuration.

Thanks.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I am installing 2.0 via Ethernet and good old Comcast Broadband. Man, the first 50 percent of the DL was soooooo pokey, but the remainder blazed through. Now, I have to replug my audio and get me some TrueHD software. I took advantage of Amazon's 12 month 10% discount and ordered Constantine, among others, about 10 days ago. Still nothing in the mail. A check of Amazon's site shows that it probably won't ship until September 7! I hope this is because they were overwhelmed with HD DVD owners buying up their stock.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I'm having out of sync problems with my True Hd and 5.1 analog setup.
Both "Phantom of the Opera" and "Constantine" were a bit out of sync.
Any ideas?

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

Make sure the disc is clean, and some say that having the dialog enhancement on in the player set up causes problems. Also just pressing pause when you do have this problem will put the audio back in sync.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Don, I had no issues with a homemade TDK DVD-R, or a Verbatim DVD+R DL. These were mastered using Toast on a Mac with a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D.

- Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats what it ssounds like to me.

glad i had an empty tray

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator

I was using FUJI DVD-Rs... I'll try a DVD+R and see what happens... maybe that'll work better... the funny thing is, in the specs for the Toshiba, I was under the impression it would only play DVD-Rs and not DVD+Rs, so I didn't even try!

I have some Verbatim DVD+Rs laying around here somewhere...

Thanksabunch!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've read that Verbatim is highly regarded...which may account for it working better. Also, I don't know if this matters, but the +R disc was dual layered...8.5 gig. It also may depend on authoring... check your PM.

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Could not get the Ethernet connection to work. Kept
getting error messages in the connection process.

I just downloaded the update via Rapidshare.

I am in the process of installing.

After I upgrade, is there any settings I need to change
on my player to better the 5.1 TrueHD output?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks