What's new

FIREFLY DVD Discussion Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Whatever the show...they cancelled it for something bad.

One thing worth noting is that Tru Calling was given 20 episodes this season... However, it's doing lower in the ratings than Firefly did last year on Friday. I guess this shows that FOX is trying to build audiences for certain shows. Too bad they pick shows with a single weekly premise. There was so much story to tell for Firefly, I think the audience would have easily grown over time...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing worth noting is that Tru Calling was given 20 episodes this season... However, it's doing lower in the ratings than Firefly did last year on Friday. I guess this shows that FOX is trying to build audiences for certain shows.
I think it has more to do with this being a MUCH weaker TV season than last years was. I think there's a good chance that Firefly wouldn't have been cancelled had it come out this year.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
That's what I mean. FOX is like "Well...this season is much weaker compared to last season... -- We should probably give some of these shows more time to build an audience."

Too bad they can't re-air Firefly or something and get it started back up. However, it's just not going to happen. I'm really sad. :frowning:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I bet an episodes of Tru Calling costs less to produce than an episode of Firefly. My understanding was that the changes in the episode order were not based on which shows were better by anyone's aesthetic criteria, but to pull ahead the ones they deemed would appeal to a viewer coming into the show "cold". i.e. self-contained and light on continuity.

Regards,

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
My understanding was that the changes in the episode order were not based on which shows were better by anyone's aesthetic criteria, but to pull ahead the ones they deemed would appeal to a viewer coming into the show "cold". i.e. self-contained and light on continuity.
Plausible. I hadn't heard that, but the airing order supports this theory.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My understanding was that the changes in the episode order were not based on which shows were better by anyone's aesthetic criteria, but to pull ahead the ones they deemed would appeal to a viewer coming into the show "cold". i.e. self-contained and light on continuity.
Isn't that the opposite of what they actually did? It seems to me that the real first episode (where they introduce all of the characters) would have been the best one for a "viewer coming into the show 'cold'".

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Bought this set blind and have really enjoyed the first 6 episodes so far. All of the characters are interesting and well-written IMO. I think the show is very well done, and I have a feeling its perceived failure was caused by people not liking or getting the concept rather than a lack of quality episodes.

Also, this is the first "sci-fi" work I recall seeing that makes the ships silent while in space-I wonder if that was done to be scientifically accurate or to cut cost on sound effects...or both!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Also, this is the first "sci-fi" work I recall seeing that makes the ships silent while in space-I wonder if that was done to be scientifically accurate or to cut cost on sound effects...or both!
That was a concious part of the mission statement from the get-go. Not only was it done to be scientifically accurate, but also to help create the mood. Much can be gleaned by the music, or the lack of music. Sometimes silence is the most potent sound.

You'll never see sound effects left out on network TV for budgetary reasons. There's a central library of sounds that TV shows can tap into for generic filler, if needed. Much of the bland, non-identifiable music heard in shows comes from such a database.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
..bought this box...on the recommendation of the posters in this thread.
And I'm happy to say I love this show! I got hooked while watching Serenity and having just seen The Train Job I can't wait to have time for the rest of the series.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised a lot of the commentary bits didn't get cut. Joss takes quite a stab at FOX for messing up the viewing order and such. I'm glad they didn't cut it down at all. It's a real shame. This show truly was something special. And I'm not totally excited about the possible movie because there were many things Joss was about to explain on the commentaries I heard (we were going in this direction...) but then stops himself for "Well...we'll have to see."

It's clear that if he gets to do the movie...much will be explained, which I can't wait for. :)

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Having finished watching the series again, and now started in on the commentaries, I have to say that Joss Whedon does the funniest commentaries *ever* when he's with a cast member.

His bits with Nathan Fillion were classic on the Serenity commentary, and reminded me of his Wild At Heart commentary with Seth Green from Buffy S4-- another favorite.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Just finished the series as well-what an absolute travesty that this show didn't get to continue. I was expecting something mildly entertaining, but the this show just kept me interested every minute. I can think of numerous shows that weren't nearly this strong in their first season.

I hope there is a movie-these characters deserve to go on.

JohnAP

Second Unit
When the Train Job aired, I remember it felt more like the second episode of a series than the pilot. After seeing Serenity (after the entire series had already aired - stupid Fox) I knew they should have shown that first. It sets everything up and you wouldn't have wondered how some of these people got together.

And yes, they did in fact film Serenity first. I remember the word was that they were going to hold it for midseason because they didn't like the pilot and then over a weekend Joss readies a new pilot (Train Job) and overnight they decided to cancel their third season of Dark Angel and go with Firefly for fall.

Whedon and most of the cast were at some LA comic convention the other day and the word is that the cast seemed very enthusiastic about any chance to get back into their roles. Personally, I'm not going to get my hopes up about a movie until they actually get the greenlight, though a draft of the script has been written. Man, I really wish this show could get back on tv. There's so much left to tell.

It's definitely true that this season's new shows are much weaker than last seasons and that may be why they're giving shows like true calling a better chance. I would love to think the networks are waking up to the fact that you have to keep a show on consistently all season and in the same timeslot to build an audience. The only show in the last few years that I lament more than Firefly is Freaks and Geeks, which only lasted 17 episodes but has the same sort of following. With that also coming to dvd in 04, it seems like its going to be a great year for tv on dvd.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I was surprised a lot of the commentary bits didn't get cut.
There is a disclaimer regarding the commentaries just after the FBI warning: Commentaries and interviews do not represent the views of FOX. Or words to that effect.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, most of them have that regardless of what's said in the commentary. However, it was just reported that some of the bits on the ALIEN Quadrilogy were cut because of ALIEN3 discussion, which kind of bashed FOX for cutting it.

Joss does sort of the same thing for messing up with Firefly, but it's completely intact. I just thought that was kind of interesting.

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
My turn to chime in and say I just completed the DVD set and I'm pissed that its over. It gets so frustrating trying to figure out what goes through TV execs little minds when they stuff great shows in favor of trash. 5100 Nielson members get to make the decisions for a couple million TV viewers. I really hope the movie comes to fruitition and a strong following demands a TV series.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think many people are just discovering this set for the first time. I think what FOX should have done was...

Aired all of the episodes in their correct order. Stopped season 1 at 18 episodes... planned for Season 2 to begin Fall 2003. They could have banged this set out by summer to introduce new viewers...and seen where the ratings were then...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Robert,

Your logical and well thought out approach clearly indicates you have no idea how to run a network! ;)

I agree this could have worked very well for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks