What's new

FIREFLY DVD Discussion Thread (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I know the series was canceled after less than a season, but does anyone know if there's any kind of "closure" to the episodes on the set? I read there are three unaired episodes that are to be included.

I'm interested in the set, but I don't like having "unfinished" TV series. Also, are there any good sites that provide an overview of the series? The official Fox site seems to be MIA.

Thanks!

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Dude, read the whole thread. The full-frame thing was a mistake on The Digital Bits site which was corrected within a few hours. "Firefly" will be anamorphic widescreen.
Well if that is the case, then Digitalbits has since changed BACK to Full Frame. I was just there 30 seconds ago to check, and they, as well as Amazon, list it as Full Frame. Hope this is just another mistake, but since they have reverted back to Full Frame, I am thinking not.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested in the set, but I don't like having "unfinished" TV series. Also, are there any good sites that provide an overview of the series? The official Fox site seems to be MIA.
I doubt you will find any closure what-so-ever as there is already a Firefly movie in the works. It is suppose to go into production early 2004 if I remember corectly. There has been much talk about wether it will happen or not, but according to IGN the project has got the go ahead. Fingers crossed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I know the series was canceled after less than a season, but does anyone know if there's any kind of "closure" to the episodes on the set?
There isn't, since Whedon has been looking into continuing this through every avenue possible (Universal has apparently green-lit a movie, and Dark Horse comics wouldn't surprise me).

But, this is no bad thing. This isn't like Whedon's other series, which feature pre-ordained Chosen Ones with foretold Destinies. This is about surviving one day at a time, staying one step ahead of disaster. The pilot ends with the line "keep flying", and I really think a definite Ending or Victory would hurt the show.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm gettign annoyed with this release. joss told us that they recorded commentaries for every episode and it was goign to be widescreen. Now, according to the announcement, Fox is releasing it without half the commentaries and full-frame only. This better not be correct.
It wouldn't surprise me about the commentaries. There were a lot of commentary tracks recorded for the Family Guy DVDs that were unused.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
But that's because of controversial things they said. Unless they really tore into Fox in the commentaries, I don't see that being a concern here. In fact, even that seems unlikely given Whedon's reluctance to say anything overtly bad about anyone he's worked with.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
We've got official details from 20th Century Fox on their upcoming Firefly: The Complete Series DVD due on 12/9 (SRP $49.98). The series will be in anamorphic widescreen video and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on 4 discs.
If you're clicking on the cover art of "Firefly" shown on the Bits, you're being taken to DVD Planet, which is showing full frame. But online retailers are quite often wrong on specs, especially this long before street date.

RogerR

Grip
As confirmation on the aspect ratio of the DVD release, I e-mailed Bill Hunt at the Digital Bits late Thursday afternoon and he responded that he had official confirmation from Fox and the producers of the DVD that Firefly will indeed be presented in anamorphic widescreen. So, I think we can stop worrying about that.
--Roger

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Looking at a copy of Firefly here... It is supposed to have three unaired episodes, but I KNOW I have seen at least one of them:

Heart of Gold.

Now, I don't really care that much, 'cause I will be glad to see them all uninterrupted, and with the right viewing order. I am just curious as to who else has seen any of the "unaired" episodes?

Lane_S

Agent
Lance - The three episodes in question were unaired in the U.S. I know they were shown in the U.K. and some, if not all were probably shown in other parts of the world as well.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Lance.. you're in Canada :) You saw them on SPACE (they had the North American Broadcast Premier), three have not been seen in the US.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I thought Firefly was going to be sequenced in the order they were supposed to appear, not Fox's broadcast order. I see the Train Job is still the first episode.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
I don't see too many threads on this awesome set (eagerly anticipated by me, at least), but I just gotta say I'm thrilled to have this in my grubby little paws at last.

I'm loving this set, including the thin-packs. I'm generally not big on the whole packaging material concept, but the thin-packs are really sharp. I wish more studios would use them for season sets.

That said, when I turned on the first episode on my Avia-cal'd set, the Battle of Serenity looked incredibly dark, such that I had to hit the brightness on my TV-- something I don't normally like to do, since it blows away all the calibration work I did until I hit RESET.

Anyway, is it just me? I know one possiblility is that I didn't have the TV on for long before I started the show, and it may not have been "warmed up".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks