What's new

Finely my RCA 5200P DVD player died (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
When DVD players first hit the market several years ago I took the plunge and purchased a basic RCA 5200P DVD player. For the first 3 years it was installed in my mainstream home theater system and was used several times a week. In 1999 I upgraded to a Panasonic A112 mainly for DTS capability and the RCA was installed in another room. The RCA still saw weekly service.

Late last year I wanted a new DVD player with some of the latest features so I bought a cheap Sampo DVE-611 and replaced the Panasonic A112. Basically I rotated all my DVD players around the house and now the old RCA was located to a guest bedroom and was used maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

When I bought my new RPTV (Toshiba 57HDX82) I wanted to take advantage of progressive scan. So I bought a Toshiba SD-K710. This is Costco's version of the SD3800. I did not care much for the Sampo so I donated it to my sister.

Today I was working in the guest bedroom and decided to watch a movie. When I turned it on I noticed that only the right side of the display was illuminated. When I installed a DVD it would not do anything. I could not hear the motor starting up or anything. It was basically dead. Not sure what is actually wrong with it and I really don't care. It was 6 years old and really outdated. 6 years of service is pretty good. I don't think anything today will last that long.

I think I will take this opportunity to upgrade my Toshiba for a Panasonic CP72. I suspect my Panasonic A112 will be going next. It is now my current high time player.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Just an update...

I decided to take it apart and see what makes it tick. It has no air vents so it was pretty clean inside but I did see a very light layer of dust on certain parts. I decided to blow some of the dust out with canned air.

I put the lid back on and plugged it in. The display was working again so I tried a disk. When I tried a disk it was working perfectly again.

It must have reset itself after being unplugged for a short while. Funny because I had a same problem with my Sherwood RD-7106 not switching on all the amps when digital sound was engaged a few weeks ago. It reset itself after leaving it unplugged for a short while. It must be the logic circuits getting confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks