What's new

Finally: Looney Tunes (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
If memory serves me correctly, it's actually Bogarts date thats wants the rabbit. And at the end Bogart says "I guess baby will have to settle for a ham sandwich" to which Bugs replies "If its rabbit baby wants, Its rabbit baby gets" and jumps in between 2 slices of bread.
Bogart's "date" is none other than Lauren Bacall, and "Baby" was Bogie's well-known nickname for her. Hence Bugs's immediate excitement upon hearing who he's supposed to be served up to, and indeed, there she is in caricature in the final scene ("Slick Hare" 1947).

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
What's Opera, Doc is the spoof of Wagner's Ring Cycle opera (specifically "The Ride Of The Valkyries"), with Elmer Fudd playing a Norseman and Bugs playing a valkyrie.

ELMER (to the tune of "Ride of The Valkyries): "Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!"

BUGS: "Kill da wabbit?"

I've been waiting for the Looney Tunes collection to hit DVD for 5 years. I'm really looking forward to this set.
Wasn't that one called "Goterrameraundurandung" or something like that? And didn't Elmer play Wotan, or Siegfried? He sang about his "twusty swod" (notung,) which would place him as Siegfried or his father...
Then again, it's been a year or so since I saw it on TV, so I could be off my rocker...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Daniel,

The episode is definitely titled "What's Opera, Doc?" (I have it on VHS). As to which character Elmer is playing, I will defer to a Wagner expert. Elmer does refer to his "twusty sword and magic helmet", though.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This is just truly wonderful news. I'll be keeping my laserdiscs for obvious reasons, but I'll be the first in line to buy these DVDs. Glad to see that the naysayers who predicted vanilla, single-disc releases were wrong.

Those who keep asking questions about different shorts; I have found that this book by Jerry Beck and Will Friedwald is absolutely essential for any true LT/MM fan.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Just a reminder, "Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies: An Illustrated Guide To The Warner Bros. Cartoons" will be re-released as an even better revised version as "Looney Tunes: The Ultimate Visual Guide" in November.

The CD with the complete soundtrack to What's Opera Doc is the "That's All Folks: Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies" 2-CD set from Rhino. More info is here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Oh man... I can hardly wait for this!!! :D

I see it appears that two cartoons with Marvin Martian are included! My wife is gonna be THRILLED. :D

I hope they include the one with Bugs Vs. Dracula.

Bugs: "Abrica-pocus"

*THUD*

Drac: "Hocus-Pocus"

Bugs: "Pocus-Cadabra"

*THUD*

:laugh:

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator

Elmer seems to be a composite of the Wotan and Siegfried characters. He uses a spear which Wotan uses to settle debates and create contracts. The "twusty sword" would be Notung, which Siegfried forges when he lives with the Niebelung. The "magic helmet" would be the Tarnhelm, a helmet made from the Rhinegold which allows the wearer to change appearance. Siegfried possesses it after he kills Fafner, the dragon guarding the gold. Siegfried later uses it to disguise himself as Gunther to win Brunnhilde for him. So Elmer contains more of Siegfried then Wotan.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
What's the one where Bugs and Daffy meet the Abominable Snowman? Always loved the Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck shorts. Those two worked great together. :D

Or the Daffy Duck one where he has to capture the Tazmanian Devil?

I can't wait for these!!!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The CD with the complete soundtrack to What's Opera Doc is the "That's All Folks: Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies" 2-CD set from Rhino. More info is here:
It's also on Bugs Bunny On Broadway, a must-have CD if ever there was one!

While I'm at it, it's also the greatest animated short EVER!!! Very disappointing that it's not included.

Weren't the Barber Of Seville and Ring spoofs both part of the same cartoon?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
It seems like they're holding back some of the famous "musical" cartoons for a future release -- I'll bet wave 2 has a disc devoted to musical cartoons (What's Opera Doc, Rabbit of Seville, Corny Concerto, One Froggy Evening).

Still waiting anxiously for WB to announce the complete list of cartoons on this set (and I hope there are a few black-and-white cartoons in there)...

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Jaime, i read yesterday on digital bits.com , that sometime today the full list should be announced ! Im keeping my fingers crossed that it happens.:D

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
I think most would agree- this is the news we have all been waiting for.Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies at last. I can watch these cartoons over and over again.
Now while I appreciate that it will only be speculation for the most part, does anyone have any opinions or definite news as to a likely time scale for these releases. Obviously only more box sets will be released if the early ones sell- but I think from the interest in the title, that will never be a problem! However, Warner Bros will not want to flood the market as people only have so much money they can spend at any one time and bearing in mind all the other releases as well that people may want to purchase. Also, there is the practical problem of doing the restoration work: to do the job right as Warners will do I'm sure, takes time and money.
I can't believe though that there will only be one box set a year, as mentioned at The Digital Bits as with over 1000 cartoons, this would take nearly 20 years!!! My guess is that they will release one box set every 3 months meaning that everything will be released within 5 years.
Any thoughts anyone?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Those aren't the full specs; they're just a full list of the extras -- not a complete list of cartoons. (There are still 20-odd cartoon titles on the set that haven't been announced.)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
It looks like its not the entire specs and cartoons after all, they just post a link to the stuff we already knew was there.:frowning: I guess we will find out sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks