What's new

Finally...'King Kong' on 01/20/09 (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Since it is only $30 I won't complain that the Production Diaries are not included. I was expecting a $70 set with everything, but, if that was what was released I honestly wouldn't be able to afford it right now. So, good.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Whaa??? Theatrical and Extended? Ah a worthy upgrade from the HD DVD. Who says size doesn't matter?

Hopefully this is an "official" official announcement. You never know these days.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Considering its Universal and so far, I consider their BDs among the best...the DTS track that "should" be included (which was not in the original SD DVDs)should be nothing short of staggering...

I do think the lack of extras is disappointing. Even though it has both cuts, the fact that..."Extras carried over to the Blu-ray will see only a single audio commentary with Jackson and screenwriter/producer Philip Boyen (on the extended version only)." is a let down.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

I agree to some extent. But having both cuts, DTS-MA sound, with a very appealing price tag...is very welcome news.

No doubt, at some point we'll get a super-duper, all-inclusive edition. But this will do nicely in the meantime.

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Could the title of this thread be updated to show that this is the 2005 version and not the 1933 (or 1976) versions?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Never got around to getting the DVD because HD was starting to emerge, and never got HD-DVD because I never got into the format.

I will definitely purchase this day one. :emoji_thumbsup:

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'll replace my HD DVD for the lossless audio and extended cut buy why didn't they just make it a 2 discer and include the 3 hour making of documentary???? Poor move....

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Agreed. I'll be getting this one as well, especially since I never got into HD-DVD.

I guess this just means I'll keep my existing 2-disc SE DVD indefinitely. That's what I planned to do in certain cases anyway partly for the missing extra features on some BDs and partly for (infrequent) occasions when BD playback would not be feasible (yet).

_Man_

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
The timing will certainly be a shot in the arm for post-holiday sales. They're going to sell a small mountain of these things.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Universal is a class act when it comes to video/audio quality but, in terms of doing right by providing consumers previously available bonus features, they represent the absolute embarrassing bottom of the barrel.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have abbout everything in extras already so i'll be happy with this release.
now what to do with the hd dvd copy.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm happy to be rid of my HD-DVD copy, but if I want to keep even the bare minimum special features (deleted scenes, the gag reel, the bit with Frank Darabont and Rick Baker), I have to hold on to the 2006 Extended Edition.

I sincerely doubt they'll put a deluxe version of this out anytime.

I'm glad I didn't get rid of my HD-DVD copy of THE THING; the Blu-Ray takes the awesome documentary and shoehorns it into a U-Control video track! Bleah.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I'll get this one. I've a feeling that when the BD is released we'll have a new reference track insofar as audio is concerned. I salivate at that thought!

I always felt the HD DVD has outstanding video quality, so I look for the BD to do equally if not slightly better due to a higher bandwidth.

More exciting than the lossless upgrade is the chance to have both versions of the film.

On my definite TO BUY list.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This is good news, both cuts, lets hope they do the same for the Lord of the Rings films.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

On the one hand, I enjoyed the PiP-type thing and related BD-J features somewhat for a couple releases so far, including Leatherheads. But on the other hand, it does seem like the whole thing is a serious mixed bag w/ lots of room for improvement in general -- it really depends on the exact implementation for each release.

For instance, the so-called "Smart Takes" feature/version of Get Smart w/ "62% more laughs" really didn't work for me at all. IMHO, the whole thing kills all the comic timing period and essentially renders the point more or less moot. :P Of course, I often find gag reels not all that funny anyway because they may be presented out of needed/proper context (though some do work as is anyhow), but this particular version of this approach definitely seems far worse -- OR maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance(?). :confused:

RE: Ron-P's hope for LotR, well, The Bits already reported rumor that the release likely coming in 2009 will probably just be the theatrical version w/ rumors suggesting that Peter Jackson wants to wait for the theatrical run of The Hobbit before releasing some superduper version w/ the Extended Edition. If that's the case, I *might* only pick up RotK when it comes out (at least initially anyway).

_Man_

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I have this on hd-dvd and am down for getting the blu-ray version for the extended cut.

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a Universal DNR title where it could look as good/better than the hd-dvd but DNR gets added so it looks worse. Universal's blu-ray catch-up titles have been hit or miss so who knows how this will be....

Todd smith

Supporting Actor

The DD+ is allready reference, so I think it is safe to say that the DTS-MA track will definately be reference. I still hold the DD+ track on the HD-DVD as one of the best sound experiences on either format. It can only get better with DTS-MA.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks