What's new

Finally getting rid of my BOSE, need advice on new setup! (1 Viewer)

Sabu-Agu

Agent
Real Name
Franklin
Considering you have BestBuy gift cards, go to the Magnolia showroom and try a few. I did that and was sold on the Definitive Technology ones, the towers that is.

TommyWMedford

Stunt Coordinator
If you're set on Polk, try http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000494&Description=polk&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20. The Monitor series are extremely cheap right now and are the updated versions of the TSi series. The difference is mostly cosmetic.

Here's a slightly better setup that the one you mentioned for FAR LESS:

Monitor 60's $240/pair

CS2 center $100

Monitor 30's $90/pair x 2

Total:

$520

They also have the TSi series for less than what you would pay at Best Buy. Same goes for the RTiA series which is a noticable step up from the Monitor/TSi's.

I have listened to the Klipsch Icon speakers at Best Buy and thought they sounded terrific. To be completely honest, I thought they were better than the Polk TSi's. The Polks were definitely more laid back but lacked the outright dynamic capability of the Klipch's and this is coming from a happy Polk owner.

Whatever speakers you decide on, you can rest assured that they will be a HUGE step up from Bose.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tommy got that backward. The TSi series is the update of the Monitor series. Anyway, I was going to recommend the same thing. The Monitor speakers really are nice, and if you keep a watch on newegg and sign up for their emails, they have regular sales. They recently had the Monitor 70s for $150 each. That's hard to beat. In fact, you might as well consider the 40s instead of 30 for surrounds for the small price difference. One thing, despite them being "bookshelf" speakers, they are not small, and really shouldn't be used in bookshelfs since have rear ports. The floorstanding ones have front ports.

TommyWMedford

Stunt Coordinator
John's absolutely right - the TSi's are the updated versions. I meant to say that the Monitors are the older versions. He's also right about the Monitor 70's. If you can swing the extra cash, the 70's are very tough to beat.

Guy187

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
I ended up getting two Martin Logan Motion 10 Towers, and a Martin Logan Motion 8 for the center, and two Martin Logan Motion 4's for surrounds. I havent purchased the other set of Motion 4's for the surround backs, or the HSU subwoofer either. I wont have budget for them for about a month now. But the Motions I bought sounded clear and awesome in the store. Ive had them playing all day while Im at work the past few days to break them in before I really test them out at my house.

TommyWMedford

Stunt Coordinator
NICE system. Polk makes good stuff but what you ended up with would blow the Monitors/TSi's out of the water. One thing though - they are 4 ohm speakers so make sure your receiver can power them effectively. Here's a review that makes note of this:

http://hometheaterreview.com/martinlogan-motion-speaker-system-reviewed/

The reviewer was very impressed with these, especially for the price.

Let us know how the system sounds after it's been broken in.

Guy187

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
Well I hooked all the martin logans motions up, and let them break in. I then ran the audyssey setup and finally listened. It set all the speaker +5 - +7 db on the reciver and also had to listen to it about +20db higher on the volume than normal. I think this is due to the speakers being 4 ohm and my denon being an 8 ohm receiver. So i did love the sound they produced, but I dont think it will have a good effect on my receiver so I returned them. What i did buy/ order instead are:

Mains: Def Tech BP8B's

Center Def Tech CLR20002

Surrounds and Surround Backs: ProMonitor 800's

Subs: BIC V1220, dual

Receiver: Same, Denon 2310ci

They will all arrive within 2 weeks...So well see how they sound in my HT Room!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All receivers are 8 Ohm essentially. That receiver probably doesn't have quite enough power for a full set of 4 Ohm speakers at elevated levels.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ben, you returned excellent speakers due to entirely incorrect speculation.

You are replacing them with inferior speakers.

Why ask for help when you are going to do whatever you arbitrarily decide to do anyway?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by John Garcia

That receiver probably doesn't have quite enough power for a full set of 4 Ohm speakers at elevated levels.

That's not how it works. Any amp will have as much or more power at 4 ohms than at 8 ohms. It may have trouble controlling the speakers or overheat under stress, but it will never have less power. M/Ls are purely resistive, unlike traditional speakers, so the 4 ohm rating is not always a realistic comparison.

I really wish people had more complete understanding. The Martin Logans might not be a good match for the Denon, but I suspect it would be fine. Another thing, M/Ls are not really intended for high volume playback anyway. They also require very specific placement for best results. Most people aren't willing to give them the room they need. Maybe it's better off in the end.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wow! Good luck.

BTW - Your Denon would not have been harmed by the speakers. It is very capable of driving 4ohms. If it did not shut off, it was working correctly.

What was the actual position of the volume? Anything less than 0 is still below reference.

Lastly, if you would have asked for help, you would have found out that your Denon no doubt set your speakers to 'large' when you ran Audyssey. The simple act of changing them to 'small' would have made a big difference.

Guy187

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
I hope everyone read that the Martin Logans I had were not their electrostatic speakers, they were their new Motion line also. I had the volume set normally at 46 (I don't have it set on the - + db, I set it on the other option.), with the martin logans i had to put it at 64 for the same volume level. Also with the bose and energy speakers I had before, the db on the test tones set them at +1 db and 0 db for the mains and center. Yes I had them all set at small, and xover at 80, same as I did with the logans. But with the logans it set them at +7 and +6 db, and the volume had to be turned up high to have same level.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ben,

What you are missing is the fact the the numbers are relative. You cannot get anything from them except that the system is trying to make each speaker play at 75db. That's all. Nothing else. Each speaker will be different. Move the same speaker a few feet and it will be different. Unless you get +/-12, it means nothing.

BTW - +46 (if it's setup correctly) is 39db below reference. You had a TON of headroom left.

At any rate, you need to decide what is best for you. Good luck and please stop by anytime for help.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's a difference in the sensitivity of the speakers, which doesn't have anything to do with the impedance (8 ohm vs 4 ohm). Better speakers tend to be less sensitive, but it's not always that simple. The Bose must have been extremely sensitive to have that much of a change. The new ones will probably be more sensitive than the MLs.

Guy187

Auditioning
Real Name
ben
Well here's what I decided on and it all arrived the other day at my porch. I have two BP8B'S for mains, CLR2002 for center, two BIC V1220 for subs, four ProMonitor 800's for surrounds and surround backs, and a Denon 2310CI for my AVR. I let them break in for two continuous days of playing Twilight New Moon. I then ran the Audyssey again in all 6 positions, readjusted everything, put in Terminator Salvation and went to town. All I can say is WOW I have been missing out!! This setup is simply amazing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks