What's new

Finally, CONAN THE BARBARIAN in DD 5.1!!! (1 Viewer)

Richard Waller

Second Unit
I was afraid something would come up to cut. I figure I'll just get the R4 versions. They'll probably be cheaper anyway.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Do they have a new master copy of the score by Basil Poledouris for use in the 5.1 track? I have a copy of the movie soundtrack on CD (circa 1985) and it's pretty weak. I don't know if it's old compression or what, but it doesn't sound very good (no high notes, crappy bass, limited soundstage. A great piece of musical work, But I call it my Bose CD). I'm imagining this was taken from the Same master tape (maybe DAT?) as was used in the original completed print of the film. Anyway, I have two questions...
1. Does the 5.1 remix sound like it came from a new source, and is it much better?
2. Can we get a new 5.1 mix on SACD or DVDA? Re-record the album if you must.

Ronald Slender

Auditioning
Well I haven't got the original soundtrack cd but I've got some mp3's of the score. The score on the new DVD sounds very impressive in my opinion. It has a very solid and very strong bass and sounds so clear it could almost been from a very recent movie. It's definitely a lot better than the mp3's.

The new DVD really is a great effort by Fox and I can't imagine the movie and the score sounding better than it does now without completely rerecording it.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Are all the transfers/audio (English 5.1) of this new release the same thorughout R2/R4? If so, it'll just be a matter of which online store is cheaper when I buy it. If not, I'll have to consider other things...

mike.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am pretty certain the UK versions of both films will be cut, the current cinema and VHS are cut and Fox have not applied to get them recertified (see BBFC website).
As I suspected, the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) have confirmed that the UK version of Conan the Barbarian SE is still cut - although not quite as much as before! It seems they still believe that the horse falls were illegal. I'm all for the protection of animals but I fail to see what the point is in banning these scenes long after the film has been made and after it has been seen in every other country. I don't know what the BBFC thinks about the countless number of westerns made in the past when trip wires were routinely used. Maybe they are cutting those films as well.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ronald,

Welcome to this forum.

Rolando,

The arrow denotes a pointer, meaning that the thread was moved (in this case to the Regional DVD Area). You found it in another area, but now you're here!

It seems I need to get a PAL DVD player at last...

Cees

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
I just wanted to thank Brian for starting this thread. I got Conan The Barbarian from CD Japan today and the sound is terrific. What a great improvement over Region 1. And as others report, the video is top-notch.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
The cutting of the horse fall scenes by the BBFC is technically out of their hands as scenes of animal cruelty are illegal under one of the broadcast / film acts in the UK (can't remember which one).

I agree with cutting scenes such as in the Butch Cassidy making of documentary as you actually see them tripping the horses but agree with you Douglas it is daft cutting from films. But the BBFC are concerned they could be prosecuted by the RSPCA or other animal rights group if they don't cut Conan especially as this is a well known one for being cut because of this.

Carl Hood

Grip
The R4 version of "Conan The Barbarian" is superb! I guess it is exactly the same as the R2 version. The 5.1 sound is absolutly awesome! I don't really know or care whether it is a mono remix or whatever, but it is very pleasing to the ear. The anamorphic transfer is also amazing for a movie of this vintage.

"Conan The Destroyer" pales somewhat in comparison, both in terms of transfer quality and sound.

Cheers,

Carl.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have not seen the region 4 conan the barbarian dvd.. I did get the region 2 of conan the destroyer special edition. it was so much better then the region 1 version.. from the menus, and extra features.. they were very nice.. the picture and sound were also better region 1 version.

JACOB

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
i plan to purchase the Japanese DVD of Conan this weekend and will report. There are also quite a number of releases in Japan with dts where the Region 1 version was only DD5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks