What's new

Finally...AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores (1 Viewer)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Straw Dogs? Notorious? I've seen these films multiple times and can't remember anything from their scores.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE
Film Scores that create a new sound and, therefore, present the film in a distinct fashion while advancing the art forms.

LEGACY
Film Scores that are also enjoyed apart from the movie and evoking the memory of its film source, thus ensuring and enlivening both the music and the movie's historical legacy.

Yeah, so...James Horner's Apollo 13 is here, but Halloween isn't? And what's up with the snub to 4-time Oscar winner Alan Menken?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This will surely be a terrific concert, but I really would like to see a TV special on it, too. It seems like it would be a natural progession from the topics they've covered.

Anyone know what the 2006 "100 Years..." TV special will cover? Or will there even be one?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm hoping they air this, but I guess they can't really draw in the viewers without the celebrity interviews.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
To answer Bryan's question:

They usually don't announce the following year's AFI list until late October or early November. I always get excited when those announcements arrive, and I would say that there will be several more countdowns within the next several years.

Also, based on my sources, there will not be any revotes on the various AFI lists as their respective 10th anniversaries appear.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Any more questions you need answered? I or any other AFI members on here can get answers for you.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sunrise was actually a "sound" film, ie it had a soundtrack on the film, though it was still presented as a silent film with only score and some semi-sound effects on the soundtrack.

In other words you didn't have rogue versions of music with that one, you had the official scoring at each presentation (barring non-sound theaters doing their own thing with it I suppose).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

That's too bad I was really hoping they'd do over the 100 movies listing...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks, John. That was very helpful. :emoji_thumbsup:

I still think a "100 Greatest Scores" show could be pretty cool, though.

AlexCremers

Second Unit
Good, I see 'Blade Runner' is nominated (it's only nominated, right?). Particularly interesting about 'Blade Runner' is that the film (the visual) and its soundtrack (sound and score) are a homogeneous whole.

Harry Potter is only nominated because the movies are popular, but it's Williams on automatic pilot (especially the first two).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, over the weekend, XM was playing the winners. Strangely enough, they started with #1...

Jason

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
It's pretty ridiculous a "100 Years, 100 Film Scores" TV show was never produced. This was the AFI show I was most looking forward to. Any chance a show could still be in the works?

Of course, I take great issue with the order of top 25 selections. On Golden Pond at #24 is a particular embarrassment, as the film contains really no memorable themes at all. You can tell I'm no fan of Dave Grusin's (listen to The Firm sometime and disagree).

My top 25 picks (included or not):

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. Superman
3. Patton
4. Papillon
5. Doctor Zhivago
6. Pinocchio
7. Gone With the Wind
8. North by Northwest
9. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
10. Once Upon a Time in the West
11. Ben-Hur
12. King of Kings
13. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
14. The Godfather, Part II
15. Raiders of the Lost Ark
16. Dances With Wolves
17. Glory
18. The Shining
19. High Noon
20. Vertigo
21. Hoosiers
22. Planet of the Apes
23. The Natural
24. Crimson Tide
25. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

My feelings exactly. I'd even put Diamonds Are Forever higher.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I'm disappointed that the scores from the three Lord of the Rings movies didn't make it to the Top 25 list. :thumbsdown: Howard Shore masterfully captured the feel of everything from the homey like of the Hobbits to the epic excitement of the great battles, to say the least. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
Since the name is still "100 Years, 100 ...," isn't the year 2000 the cutoff point? In that case, the Lord of the Rings films would not qualify.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Fellowship of the Ring was nominated
Empire Strikes Back was not nominated
Good The Bad and the Ugly isn't eligible since it isn't an American film.

1896 was the (disputed, as are all first) first public showing of a film before an audience: Arrival of a train at a station by the Lumiere bros in France. So that makes 1996 the 'century of cinema'. 2000 isn't the cut off date, the cut off date is the previous year, so I believe for the scores, it was anything from 2004 and before.

I own all the Williams scores and I had a few of these downloaded on another computer in the past. I'll have to take a listen to some of those scores, and the surprises like the last three or so.

Here's the list:
  1. Star Wars
  2. Gone with the Wind
  3. Lawrence of Arabia
  4. Psycho
  5. Godfather
  6. Jaws
  7. Laura
  8. Magnificent Seven
  9. Chinatown
  10. High Noon
  11. Adventures of Robin Hood
  12. Vertigo
  13. King Kong
  14. E.T.
  15. Out of Africa
  16. Sunset Blvd.
  17. To Kill a Mockingbird
  18. Planet of the Apes
  19. Streetcar Named Desire
  20. Pink Panther
  21. Ben Hur
  22. On the Waterfront
  23. The Mission
  24. On Golden Pond
  25. How the West Was Won

Adam

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Seems to be a lot of love for the ESB score, but I prefer Star Wars myself. Most of the major themes are introduced, and I can mentally follow the film just by listening to the score.

I would have liked to see Williams' Superman score up there as well, I feel almost as highly of that as I am with Star Wars.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks