What's new

Finally...AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores (1 Viewer)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I'd also propose a swap of a Horner piece... ditch Titanic and put in Rocketeer..

(quick check to see if Rocketeer was actually written by Horner..)

Leo

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Todd, but I did notice this;

You missed A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Williams

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Excellent list, most of my favorites are on there. One of the biggest omissions is Morricone's The Good the Bad and the Ugly, too Italian? Once Upon a Time in the West is there.

So glad Basil Poledouris magnificent score for Conan the Barbarian was officially recognised as one of the greatest film scores of all time.:emoji_thumbsup:

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

In the Hero and Villains list, they would have one character and then use several films to illustrate why that person/creature was on the list. I believe it included the likes of Zorro, Alien, and Darth Vader, which included him as Anakin in the prequels. I think they're probably doing something similar here. The one stand out is the Bond series, which gets nominations in Tomorrow Never Dies and Goldfinger; but that series is so long, has several different composers, that it might be outside the scope of Star Wars, LOTR, Godfather, Harry Potter, etc. With only 250, it makes more sense to do it this way.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think it covers pretty much all of the essentials...

However, bad omissions:

The Thing from Another World (Dmitri Tiomkin)
The Elephant Man (John Morris)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Alan Silvestri)
Being There (Johnny Mandel)
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (Danny Elfman)
Brazil (Michael Kamen)
The Iron Giant (Michael Kamen)

Even worse, only one Disney film? Bambi correctly deserves that one spot, but so do Snow White and Treasure Island.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see Ed Plumb and Frank Churchill's Bambi -- though I'm a little mystified as to why it is the only Disney entry in the entire list. Were musicals ruled inadmissable or some such?

so do Snow White and Treasure Island

Not to mention Disney films that actually won the Academy Award for Best Score -- like Pinocchio. Notice, not a single nod to Alan Menken, which leads me to think musicals must have been ruled out somewhere.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Maurice Jarre's David Lean scores made it in, which isn't surprising, but one of my favorites by him is for John Frankenheimer's The Train. Outstanding action score for a brilliant war/action film, both of which should be a lot better known than they are.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
This isn't going to be a TV special (unless they tape the event and air it on either CBS or USA).

It's actually going to be a live event at the Hollywood Bowl where the winning scores will be played in chronological order along with clips from the movies themselves.

Finally and once again, only 25 scores will be chosen.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Trust me, I'm an AFI member myself.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
From the AFI site;I trust you John ;) but I took "in order" to mean the results of the voting, i.e. 25,24,...3,2,1.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually a little confused about how this can be 100 Years of Film Scores. Although there was musical accompaniment, very few silent films had actual scores. Were there really scores 100 years ago, i.e., in 1905?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, there's some silents with official scores or scores specifically written for the film for re-release.

For example, the Joseph Carl Breil score for The Birth of a Nation, Gottfried Huppertz's Metropolis score, and Hugo Risenfeld's score for Sunrise. Or even Chaplin's re-release scores for The Circus, The Gold Rush, and The Kid.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well if you look at the list of nominees, the earliest one is City Lights (1931), so this really only covers about 75 years of film scores.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Man, I am surprised Rambo Pt 2 isn't on there. That's one of the most consistently GREAT scores I have ever heard.

And where's the love for Silvestri? No Back to the Future or Predator?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The jurors have been asked to consider the following criteria in making their selections:

FILM SCORE
An original music composition written to serve as the dramatic underscore to an American film released in the sound era.*

CREATIVE IMPACT
Film Scores that enrich the moviegoing experience by bringing the emotional elements of a film's story to life.

HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE
Film Scores that create a new sound and, therefore, present the film in a distinct fashion while advancing the art forms.

LEGACY
Film Scores that are also enjoyed apart from the movie and evoking the memory of its film source, thus ensuring and enlivening both the music and the movie's historical legacy.

*AFI defines an American film as an English language motion picture with significant creative and/or financial production elements from the United States. Additionally, only Film Scores from feature-length American films released in the sound era (1927 to present) will be considered. AFI defines a feature-length film as a motion picture of narrative format that is typically over 60 minutes in length.

[emphasis mine]

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The "100 Years...." is AFI's established marketing brand so they'll use it whether it really applies or not.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but that stuff from '31 down was nominated doesn't mean the earlier stuff was not eligible.

And what Brook said.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks