What's new

Final Countdown - Final Word (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
JulianK

You may be onto something here?

Considering that PFE was pressured into releasing this disc once Tim Cook was talked into the project.

Considering that they couldn't (for whatever REA$ON$) find someone to do the production work for them.

Considering that there must have been a change in command as to who was handling the project. (could explain the appearance of Donna Bridges in April and the disappearance of Michael Lane)

They may have cut a deal in during the 11th hour with Hollywood Video but through cutting CO$T$ they may have said they will make do with the UK artwork rather than hire a printer to redo it (extra expense)... just to be able to push it out the door without further delays.

Has anyone checked the hub to see who pressed the disc? It may have been done in the UK? Has anyone done a comparison between the Region 2 and Region 1 discs yet? That may show the same flaws in the same places lending to the fact it is the same transfer... or possibly the bit rate comparisons? Is the Region 2 disc also void of the studio logo introduction to the film?

All unsubstantiated theory but all points possible.

A classic example of a company getting in over their heads trying to do something they are totally unprepared for.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
UPDATE ON STATS...

I just heard back from Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits.

He provided me with copies of e-mails he received from a lead concerning the stats of the DVD and since many people go by alias names, I will only say this person is named Jonathan (the name Bill used in his column). The info came in December 7, 2001 and the person said they had just gotten off the phone with Tim Cook and the stats on the disc were:

uncut 114 minute version
16x9 Anamorphic
DD 5.1 (he indicated that sound would be "the DVD standard - I think that
is the 5.1 sound" -direct quote)
trailer
stills
a limited "behind the scenes" section
actor bios
transfer from an original 35mm print

I don't know where he got the 114 minutes from since it was 103 minutes unless there was an international cut somewhere?

Oh well... we are back to where I stood when I mentioned PFE giving us a "bill of goods" and then bait-and-switch on the consumers.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I watched my laserdisc of The Final Countdown a few days ago to get a feel of what the dvd would look like. My dvd from PFE arrived today and I watched it tonight.

My initial impression of the video was that it appeared matted from the laserdisc print, and the appearance of being "squashed" to some degree. Accordingly, I am not sure the aspect ratio on the dvd is correct. But, I could be wrong here. However, when it got to the end credits, they appeared much better than on the laserdisc - that is, the end credits on the laserdisc definitely showed that the print was pan & scan, as the images appeared tall and skinny, as per usual on a P&S disc.

The detail, or resolution, of the laserdisc was better than this dvd. I noticed several areas where "shimmering" took place. So, this video was not taken from a "pristine" print, as I had understood it would be.

The audio wasn't too bad. It had some rear channel presence, where the laserdisc did not. I could not hear any hissing, as others have mentioned, but that may be my ears.

An interesting point, the laserdisc says the movie is 103 minutes long, whereas the dvd says 98 minutes. I could not detect what was missing from the dvd. It appeared "full". My confusion factor kicked in on that issue.

So, is the dvd watchable? In my opinion, yes. Is it the normal high quality of a good dvd as we have come to expect? Definitely not. If you don't have a copy of The Final Countdown and would like to add it to your collection, then, lacking no other source, I would say pick up a copy, IMHO. But, I am hopeful someone such as Anchor Bay will pick up the rights to this title and do it right. I would definitely buy a new print from another source.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Okay, that thought about the PAL format ran across my mind, but I wasn't sure about the amount of speed-up. Without a direct comparison, it was difficult to detect. This appears to substantiate the theory that PFE copied the UK version. I've never heard of a studio doing that before. I will definitely avoid PFE in the future.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Even though the movie appears to be 2.35:1 there is a slight vertical compression of about 5-10%. This wouldn't be noticeable unless I was comparing it to the LD at the same time.
This would, I believe, be another symptom of PAL to NTSC conversion due to the difference in resolution between the formats.

DJ

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I could not agree with you more Mark. This whole situation is such a travesty!:angry:

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
After reading markc's review I'm glad I didn't order it. Oh well maybe someday someone will make it right.

derek

Second Unit
Widescreen Review's latest issue gives a #1 rating on video quality for the disc (lowest rating.) Say's it's the worst dvd transfer ever worse than the Highlander one.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I stumble upon this DVD is some rental joint last week. It was one of my most anticipated titles ever and I couldn't believe I actually missed it's release! (I am a Movie and AHL whore, I don't check SW very often :b). Anyway, I grabbed it as fast as I could. The cover looked very suspiscious, but I remembered that the reason this fantastic movie was held so long was because it belongued to some obscure studio. Little did I know what was in store for me. This is easily my biggest dissapointment in 4 years of HT. How could they fuck up this movie so badly? Worse transfer I have ever seen as bad if not worse than the Crying Game (my reference, having never seen Highlander). I am not demanding at all when it comes to DVDs, but I DO ask the quality be at least equal to VHS!
I happily join the righteous bitching , 9 months too late, but eh, I just had to get it out. Shame on you PFE! :angry: :angry: :angry:
--
Holadem

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Not unless by some miracle Facific Family Entertainment is bought out

A Japanese DVD just came out which is SUPPOSEDLY anamorphic, I know Tomoko was going to pick it up but I dunno if she ever found it.

Fred_C

Agent
Just curious .. how many actually returned their copies to PFE? That would have been the clearest message to send them.

I cancelled my order.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Tomoko, if it helps (and I'm reading it right) amazon.co.jp has a 500 yen coupon this week, and free shipping (domestic) on orders over 1500 yen
They say "usually delivered in 2-3 days"
Sorry to use you as a guinea pig, but stupid limited to 20,000 copy Yoshiki concerts have sapped my import money for the next few months :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks