What's new

Films that you fear may NEVER be released on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
In Cold Blood has been restored and a hi-def transfer has been made (the print restoration I saw back in the fall of 2000 is beautiful), but Sony is probably sitting on this until the controversy dies down.

Surprised no one has mentioned the grandaddies of never-to-be-seen films, Alejandro Jodorowsky's EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, the rights (at least in the U.S.) are owned by Allen Klein, who hates Jodorowsky and refuses to let the films be seen.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that Michael Wayne died recently. He was 68.

Yeah, I think that Warner (or any other studio - but it is Warner that have shown most interest in restoring and releasing the film) should wait a few months before contacting Wayne's Estate.

THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY and ISLAND IN THE SUN would be big sellers - every fan of The Duke who owns a DVD player would buy both film, I'm sure of that; they've been yearning for those films for decades.

Time will tell...

Gordy

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Another vote for The High and the Mighty.

Judgement at Nuremberg, a 1961 classic with Spencer Tracy, Marlene Deitrich, Montgomery Clift, Judy Garland, and a small role for William Shatner is another of my favorites I fear will never make it to dvd.

And how much longer do we need to wait for African Queen?

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I fear that the following may never make it to DVD.
1. Lord Jim WS
2. Oh, What a Lovely War WS
3 Young Winston WS
4 The Victors WS
5 The Long Ships WS
6 Young Cassidy WS
7 Night of the Generals WS

Best
Greg

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY

MY FAVORITE WIFE

MCLINTOCK! (legit release)

HALF A SIXPENCE

THE MATCHMAKER (musicalized later as Hello Dolly)

THE CORN IS GREEN (either version with Bette Davis or Katharine Hepburn)

MGM's ANDY HARDY series

Columbia's BLONDIE series

MGM's DR. KILDARE series

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
boy, i could have sworn i saw a announcement for Since You Went Away over a year ago, but it was from Anchor Bay.
i went on the street date to Borders to see if they had it, but they had no listing, and all of listings of it had vanished.

i'd love to see it too.

the one movie i desperately want to see is
Starcrash .
OAR and enhanced.

i don't hold out much hope for New Concorde either getting the aspect right, or putting it out at all.

its a garishly bad movie, but bad in truly enjoyable way.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Two rival versions of Alice In Wonderland were apparently supressed for decades by Disney, and are very unlikely to get a DVD release.

Paramount's star-studded 1933 adaptation of Alice in Wonderland has recently resurfaced (it was shown as part of a W.C. Fields season by one of the US film channels), so might conceivably turn up on DVD, but I'm not holding my breath...

Another version of Carroll's story, made a year before Disney's version by Lou Bunin Productions, has been released on VHS, so a DVD isn't completely out of the question. The best version I've seen was in pretty poor shape, though, so it'll probably crumble into dust before anyone bothers to preserve it on DVD.

The lavish 1972 Alice's Adventures In Wonderland isn't likely to get released, either. It was briefly available on VHS in the UK a couple of years ago, but there are doubts about the legality of this release.

Another literary casualty is the 1956 version of George Orwell's 1984, which I don't think has had a legitimate public airing on either side of the Atlantic in decades.

A friend of mine has been trying to get hold of the 1962 Rat Pack movie Sergeants 3 for more than a decade. You'd think that it would have had a legitimate release - or TV screening - at some point (to coincide with the Ocean's Eleven remake, perhaps), but it remains elusive (unless anyone can tell me otherwise!)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
boy, i could have sworn i saw a announcement for Since You Went Away over a year ago, but it was from Anchor Bay.
No, you are remembering correctly,
It was a few years ago,
but ANCHOR BAY only released it on VHS....which i bought,
just to tide me over.
OK transfer, and they even included an overture
made of the original background score.

Still waiting for the DVD of one
of my favorite films.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
In Cold Blood has been restored and a hi-def transfer has been made (the print restoration I saw back in the fall of 2000 is beautiful), but Sony is probably sitting on this until the controversy dies down
So Sony is scared of being un-PC. Too bad.;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Alice In Wonderland (1933) is one of countless Paramount films made between 1929 and 1948 that Universal has never released to video.

Universal rarely touches these films (Most of their releases are of Bing Crosby and/or Bob Hope films) which is sad.

What is scary is that there are few DVDs of catalog films that didn't have a VHS release.

Here's a few more titles of concern:

Holy Matrimony (1943) - Stars Monty Wooley and Una O'Connor. Script nominated for Oscar... yet has never been on video before. Fox owns the film and may not even know they do!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I have a copy of Sergeants 3, and while I love the Rat Pack, this is by far their weakest effort. I'm glad I own it, but it's actually kind of painful to sit through. I'd much rather watch Gunga Din again than this (S3 was a remake of Gunga Din).

Movies that I fear may not be released on DVD are the following:

Song of the South
The rest of the Thin Man movies
Most of Lon Chaney's films
Harold Lloyd's films

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
And Now My Love - aka "Toute une vie", Claude Lelouch (of A Man and a Woman), 1974.

Boyfriend - Ken Russel, Sandy Wilson musical with Tommy Tune and Twiggy.

Dreamchild - Alice (In Wonderland) Hargreaves and Rev Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carrol).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks