What's new

Films that made you cry... (1 Viewer)

Laura Nicholson

Stunt Coordinator
Grave Of The Fireflies - Started tearing up during the opening credits and was sobbing by the end. I was on vacation with my parents and I had to go cry on Mommy's shoulder. I don't know if I could ever watch it again.

Yes, I am a wuss.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
So far, it's been Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, In America, LOTR:ROTK, and now, Million Dollar Baby. Those who have seen M$B can accurately guess which scenes it was.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Many times have I wept during a film...

E.T. This film and I are connected on an almost molecular level, it's the first film I ever saw at the theater and with my dad. It remains one of my life's most fondest and cherished memories. How I love E.T., the film and the gentle being.

Titanic For the reasons already mentioned, but I also was losing it big time during the ships final moments. Having studied the ship since 1986, the barrier between reality and film totally vanished and I was their, witnessing the destruction with my own eyes on a level of realism that was painful to watch. When the ship broke in two, I snapped and what were once eyes welling up, became full blown faucets.

Field of Dreams This film is pure magic! The first scene I actually started to feel tears coming, was when Burt Lancaster saved Karen from choking and then had to go into the cornfield. Shoeless Joe's line to him before he goes in "Hey rookie! You were good." followed by James Honers devistating score was just heaven...which looks alot like Iowa. And of course, the final moment between Ray and his father.

Frequency Here's a new one for ya. The scene when John and his father were talking all night on the ham radio, followed by them telling each other that they love one another and John telling his dad that he missed him. It's IMO, one of the finest father/son moments ever caught on film.

A Walk to Remember When Landon went to thank his estranged father for putting up the money to take care of Jaimie's home care, heartbreaking stuff, based on an equally touching book by Nicholas Sparks.

The Passion of the Christ Nuff said.

The Return of the King Powerful film! I almost lost it when Frodo, decieved by Gollums lies, told Sam that he could no longer help and to go home. And during their final, drudging push up Mount Doom, when Sam asks Frodo if he remembers the Shire and picks his friend up and carries him on the last leg of the journey with Howard Shores powerful score reaching it's zenith, and them finally reaching the Crack of Doom "Look Mr. Frodo, a doorway. We're almost their.". One of the finest films ever made.

Cast Away When Wilson floated away.

Lilo and Stitch "Family."

Rudy When Rudy opens the final letter to see if he got into Notre Dame or not. He sits down on a bench, opens it and begins silently reading and slowly breaks into tears as his dream has come true for him. This film also features one of my all time favorite scores by Jerry Goldsmith.

Before Sunrise My all time favorite romance film, forget Pretty Woman, forget Sleepless in Seattle, this is the real deal. When Jesse and Celine have to part at the end. The film feels so unbelievably freaking real, it breaks your heart to see such obvious soulmates torn apart after spending the most wonderful night together exploring the city.

The Apostle When Billy Bob Thorton shows up to tear the church down, and confesses that he really went their to be saved.

Free Willy Everytime Willy cries, and when he and Jesse part at the end. Just the sounds that Willy makes is enough to tear you up. I also have a soft spot for animals too, so there you go.

Whew!! That's enough for now I think. :)

JasonB

Agent
Ohhh...excellent choice there John. I had totally forgotten about Frequency. That scene totally gets me every time and I completely agree---it's one of the most beautiful/touching moments in all of film for me.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
Erm lemme see...

Forest Gump - The whole ending sequence really, when he lays Jenny down to rest and the voice over he does about it. When he is speaking to Jenny about Haley (Joel Osmund), when he puts Haley on the bus at the end. Damn man, *sniff*...listen I'm like 6'8" and I was weeping like a baby...Just a testament to size not mattering.

Any movie where there is a deep story of a character being alone or challenge in a mental way touches me to the heart, always induces tears. Even a Mean Creek, where George [Josh Peck] is a complete punk through and through, you try to understand his pain and it eats me up inside man. Movies of lost romance kill me too. So...Too many to list!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Born Free, Silent Running ( poor robot all alone with the last forest), and Charlet's Web (book made me cry too). I was a sensitve child!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
John, good call on Frequency & Rudy. Especially Rudy. That final letter scene is tear inducing for sure; as is the scene when the star players lay their jersey down in front of Coach Devine for Rudy to play in their place. :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
I've rarely cry during a film but there are a three scenes that draw a tear or two for me everytime I see them.

When Darth Vader saves Luke from the Emperor in Return of the Jedi. Once the jedi theme cues my eyes start to water.

The other two scenes are from Forest Gump. Of course where Forrest is speaking to Jenny at her grave about their son. And the other is when Forrest meets up with Lieutenant Dan in New York. It's the scene where they are with those two girls in the apartment during New Years and one of the girls calls Forrest stupid. Dan defends Forrest and throws the girls out. That is my favorite scene from the movie and it gets me everytime.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My top weepies:

To Live

The Joy Luck Club

Grave of the Fireflies

Schindler's List

Rambling Rose

Cinema Paradiso

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Titanic
Cast away (when Hanks and Hunt reunite in the rain)
Hotel Rwanda (when Cheadle sends his family on the truck and he runs towards the truck as it drives off)

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
The only time that I can remember almost tearing up at a theater was during several scenes from The Straight Story. Especially the part where the old soldier recounts a sad friendly fire incident.
I also found many parts of Band of Brothers moving, usually when they had the actual men talking about their experiences.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
The most recent was tonite, just got back from seeing "Hostage" w/ Bruce Willis...great movie, deals with kids dying, etc.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Here's one I dont think anyone has mentioned, but should be:

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (the two "reunion" scenes at the end)

A powerful film about the Korean war that has earned many comparison to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. A much more personal story since it deals with family being caught up in the war.

Superb acting, directing, cinematography, and certainly the music.

The battle scenes are extremely brutal and realistic, so be warned.

Also, just to name a few:

Philadelphia (Neil Young's song playing at the end)
LOTR: ROTK
Frequency (reunion on the Ham radio after the big fire, and the ending)
SPR
Schindler's List (The "I could have done more scene...")
Ray
Band of Brothers
Requiem for a Dream (monologue about how it feels to be old)
The Passion of the Christ
Forrest Gump (Washington Reunion and the ending)
A.I. (the ending with John Williams' music)
Born of the Fourth of July (ending)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks