Agent
Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore)

The Road Home (Zhang Yimou)

The Ice Storm (Ang Lee)

Smoke (Wayne Wang)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I would like to add a 3rd to my list and that is In America. I lost it when:

Mateo died and the bay lived. It was an obvious play on E.T. Also when we find out that Mateo paid for the hospital bed.

Saving Private Ryan - when Mrs. Ryan gets a visit fom army chaplin

Forrest Gump - Jenny grave scene

Amelie - when she's making her famous pie

Man From Elysian Fields - book signing at end

Rabbit-Proof Fence - actually, during a behind the scenes look at when they first take girls away

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - when Li Mu Bai dies

Erin Brockovich - when she gets her check

Apollo 13 - during descent

Others:
Tully
Central Station
Sweet Hereafter
Breaking the Waves
Ikiru

Movies that didn't make me cry mentioned in this thread:
Schindler's List
Green Mile
Grave of the Fireflies
E.T.

R

Rick Sant

Does laughing so hard that i cried count? If so then dumb and dumber, cadyshack, and planes trains and automobiles did it for me. Its just that i don't watch many dramas and alot of the time i am more angry than anything else. Movies like titanic made me mad that it could have been much less tragic if not for such stupidity by so many involved thinking it was unsinkable. Im getting angry just thinking about it.

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
For me its definitly Schindler List. This movie haunted me for weeks afterwards.

I could add the more recent Lost in Translation (the ending), and of course, the most devastating of them all, Dancer in the Dark.

Paul>Wh

Agent
I must agree with
Grave of the Fireflies
Saving Private Ryan
Big Fish
when I was younger and it first came out La Bamba
right were he cries "Ritchie!!!"

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Old Yeller
Pride of the Yankees

Most recent one was Lost in Translation. I watched it just this morning. The hug at the end did it.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Off the top of my head, Iris and Return of the King. If I think about this more, I'm going to cry. :)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I just put this is the Monster Dicussion Thread, but I'll add it here as well.

This movie is the most depressing film I have ever seen. I made it to the parking lot before I completely lost it. I cried harder from this movie than any other movie before it.

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator
Most of these have been mentioned but here's my list:

Saving Private Ryan - "Tell me I am a good man" over Hanks gravesite.

E.T. - when ET gets shocked with the paddles and Drew Barrymore jumps.

Armageddon - when Bruce Willis says goodbye to Liv Tyler (I'm the father of 3 girls!)

It's a Wonderful Life - ending when everyone arrives with help!

Kevin

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Beaches
Everytime I watch it...everytime

Never Been Kissed
I'm so pathetic...such cheese

Terms Of Endearment
The wus factor is so high

Its no wonder my wife gets on me...I'm brutal:b

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I'm an emotional pushover. :)

Recently, I've seen several films to turn on the waterworks.

The Lord of the Rings : The Return of the King - Oh, yes..! I wept in several places of the film. It was so easy to be moved when faced with such valour, and courage against impossible odds. Sam, the unbroken will of his resolve to help Frodo destroy the ring overwhelmed me. "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry YOU!" This moment crosscut against the climactic battle against Sauron, opened the sluices without effort. "I will not say do not weep.. for not all tears are an evil." - well thanks, Gandalf, I needed that. Like A Baby..!

Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru : The old man singing softly to himself.. both times. A magnificent picture, flawless.. sublime.

Umberto D : So much of this picture has me grinding my teeth in a mixture of sadness and rage. Yeah, I don't even want to touch the DVD case again, either. :) (at least, not for a couple of hours.)

Tokyo Story : Sobbed uncontrollably.

And the other favourites:

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial - several times again, in joy at Elliot's first flight, and at E.T's death, and departure.. Henry Thomas' performance is astonishingly raw and heartfelt. Spielberg's rein on the story proves adept and restrained, and the magical score by John Williams effortlessly lets the emotion rise to the surface.

I don't remember much about the last time I saw Schindler's List, but I remember being really torn up by it. On another note, The Pianist had me at the ending credits, oh, such delightful exuberance! After his moment where he sees the piano, and yet cannot play, his purpose in life annulled for the sake of survival. The ending credits made me weep in utter joy, watching his hands dance over the piano.

Vertigo - The compulsiveness of Scottie undoing everything he ever wanted, obsession destroying his love. Kim Novak's performance as Judy willingly allowing him to make her up in the image of the dead woman because she loves him so.. Rips me up emotionally, particularly the ending.

It's a Wonderful Life - the selfless nature of George, so thoroughly rewarded in love by the townsfolk at the end of the film.

The Secret Garden - I told you I was emotional putty.. What a lovely film! So full of uplifting joy and storytelling skill. The moment where Colin and his father see each other for the first time in the garden, each hardly daring to believe.

The Iron Giant - Yep.. "I am *not* a gun!" - better than Shakespeare, that. :D

Das Boot - In utter relief, when they repair the boat.. the look on the crew's face as the numbers slowly clock back up! And at the end..

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - It's the bit with the glass coffin, and the dwarfs constant vigil. Emotionally devastating, which swiftly turns to "happy tears", three minutes later.

George See

Second Unit
I too seem to be suffering from the older I get the more I cry at movies syndrom.

A few of the more recent films

Whale Rider, the school speach just got me.
The Pianist
Nowhere in africa

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I think it has alot to do with the movie's musical score..

Some movies I just hear the theme song and I lose it..

I second Whale Rider.. The speech, and the end sequence where they're taking the longboat out, Granpa and grandaughter all smiles..

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'll add some more:

Forrest Gump
- The Jenny grave scene and when Forrest finds out he's a dad. The latter works on a lot of levels for me.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I can't think of all of the ones I've lost it during or at the end of, but some that stick in my memory...

Dead Poets Society - At the end when the students stand on their desks to show their respect for Mr. Keating.

Titanic

Seabiscuit - At several points I teared up...the film is just so emotionally rich...I just love every frame of this film!

Secondhand Lions - At the end, when young Walter returns to his uncles and make his stipulations for living with them, especially the "No more crazy stuff" request. When Hub says. "What are we supposed to die of? Old Age?" and Walter starts nodding, I just start to lose it...

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
Breakfast at Tiffany's - when Holly found the cat at the end

English Patients - when Katharine told Almasy that she has always love him

Romeo and Juliet (1968) - at the end when Juliet took her life after she found her Romeo dead

Last of the Mohicans - when Alice jumped to be with Uncas

Titanic - when Rose jump back into the ship to be with Jack

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - when Li Mu Bai told Yu Shu Lien that he would rather be with her as a damned instead of going to heaven; also when Jen told Lo to make a wish and then jump into ravine

Shakespeare in Love - when Shakespeare ask Viola how everything will end and she said 'it's a mystery'

Sixth Sense - when Cole told her mom that grandma's answer to her question was 'yes'

Ernie McCoy

Auditioning
Worthy of Serious Tears --

Sand Pebbles
Year of Living Dangerously
Sophie's Choice
To Kill a Mockingbird
East of Eden
Schindler's List
Raise the Red Lantern
Life Is Beautiful
To Live
In the Time of the Butterflies
Hiroshima
Amadeus
Awakenings

These Make Me a Little Misty

White Feather (naive, but a decent attempt by a director to pay a little respect to first nation people at a time when the "Indians" were always the bad guys)
Roman Holiday
Obsession
The Hairdresser's Husband

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks