What's new

Films of the 1970's on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I did a quick tally of my Movie DVD's and I have about 25% from the 70's. I thought I had more from that decade but it's in 1st place. My movie #"s by decade - approx %'s:

30's: 6%
40's: 8%
50's: 5%
60's: 16%
70's: 25%
80's: 14%
90's: 17%
00's: 6%

Those excel files come in handy :)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Really the 70's was a decade where it seemed everywhere you turned there was some amazing filmmaking taking place. The 80s was quite a contrast. It is and will always be in my mind the worst decade for film...among other things...so, no, it's not just you,Miel...

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Thanks, Jeff. I've avoided the pan/scan DVD of CHARLEY VARRICK, and recorded a WS copy when TCM aired it, which will hold me until the day that Universal decides to revisit it with a proper 16x9 transfer (if they ever do). I could see a savvy marketing team putting an upgraded version in a package of other Don Siegel crime films they control (MADIGAN --which needs to be 16x9, THE BLACK WINDMILL), as they've done with the recent CLINT EASTWOOD WESTERN ICON set, or in a set of 1960s/1970s thrillers (maybe packaged with titles like THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER, MIRAGE, ARABESQUE, GAMES, etc).

I don't know if there are any rights issues preventing a DVD release of TELEFON, but that would now be in Warner's hands, rather than MGM, since it's a pre-1986 MGM theatrical release.

The good news, as far as my list is concerned, is that a few titles on it have been announced for R1 release, thanks to Halloween and Fox:

CHOSEN SURVIVORS
THE MEPHISTO WALTZ
TALES FROM THE CRYPT
VAULT OF HORROR

--and apparently, FortuneStar has released a nice NTSC 16x9, english-language DVD of THE MAN FROM HONG KONG in R3 this past April. I could spring for a region-free player and order the disc from an e-tailer now, but I wonder if this release bodes well for an inexpensive Fox/FortuneStar R1 release in the near future (as they've done with EASTERN CONDORS, MR. VAMPIRE, etc), or perhaps as part of whatever that line of vintage Hong Kong cinema Warner Bros allegedly has plans to market sometime soon (a couple of months ago, I read a fleeting reference to this here, or at another forum, from someone reputable, but I can't remember much beyond that... I think Warner got the rights to some Golden Harvest titles, but I could be way off the mark).

Rip

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
Zachariah finally came out. Still waiting for Getting Straight.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The latest add to my collection:

The Silent Partner -1978

Elliott Gould stars with Chris Plummer in a bank heist flick from Canada. Gould and Sutherland were two actors from this decade that sort of define the era. The cover art stinks on this one but the film itself is great. Look for John Candy in this one too!

Snowjackal

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Provost
My favorite decade for film and there are still so many that have not been released!

92 in the Shade
Alambrista
Between the Lines
Brewster McCloud
Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith
Corky
Darker Than Amber
Day of the Wolves, The
Deep End
Dirty Little Billy
Drive He Said
Dusty and Sweets McGee
Evictors, The
Figures in a Landscape
Fraternity Row
Friends of Eddie Coyle, The
Gal Young Un
Goin' Down the Road (1970)
Going Home (1971)
Gravy Train, The
Gumshoe
Harry in Your Pocket
Hireling, The
Homebodies
Jeanne Dielman
Joe Hill
Landlord, The
Lolly Madonna War (aka Lolly Madonna XXX)
Magic Garden of Stanley Sweetheart
Massacre at Central High
Mind of Mr. Soames, The
Nickelodeon
Northern Lights
Open Season (aka Recon Game)
Payday (supposed to be released soon...?)
Perfect Friday
Possession of Joel Delaney
Rituals
Rolling Thunder
Shanks
Skin Deep (1978)
Skin Game (1971)
Slither (1973)
Spikes Gang, The
Strawberry Statement, The
Super Cops
Taking Off
Unman Wittering and Zigo
Wake in Fright (aka The Outback)
Welcome Home Solider Boys
Wild Rovers
WUSA
Your Three Minutes Are Up

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
A while back I thought I heard something about Brewster McCloud coming out in some sort of Altman set? :confused:

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Payday was originally announced by Warner for release a few months ago in a batch together with 'Prince Of The City', 'Straight Time' and 'Steelyard Blues' as part of their Directors series, but it got pulled for some reason (rights issues maybe?).

'Taking Off' is one of the three movies I most want on DVD, the others being 'Far From The Madding Crowd' and 'One Eyed Jacks' (I'm ignoring the numerous cheap public domain releases that now litter the marketplace). I'm guessing that getting the necessary clearances for the music might be the problem in this case.

ted:r

Second Unit
My list, with director...I'm sure there are a lot of redundancies with those posted before...if some of these have slipped into release (Region 1), please, let me know! :

$1971Brooks, RichardAlambrista!1977Young, Robert M.American Boy: A Profile of: Steven Prince1978Scorsese, MartinAmerican Hot Wax1978Mutrux, FloydAnderson Tapes, The1971Lumet, SidneyAngst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter, Die (Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick, The)1972Wenders, WimAnsikte mot ansikte (Face To Face)1976Bergman, IngmarBackroads1977Noyce, PhilipBad (Andy Warhol's Bad)1977Johnson, JedBetween the Lines 1977Silver, Joan MicklinBoys in the Band, The1970Friedkin, WilliamBrewster McCloud1970Altman, RobertCarey Treatment, The1972Edwards, BlakeChant of Jimmie Blacksmith, The1978Schepisi, FredChildren of Theatre Street, The1977Dornhelm, RobertChilly Scenes Of Winter (Head Over Heels)1979Silver, Joan MicklinDay in the Death of Joe Egg, A1972Medak, PeterDeep End1970Skolimowski, JerzyDiary of a Mad Housewife1970Perry, FrankDritte Generation, Die (Third Generation, The)1979Fassbinder, Rainer WernerDusty and Sweets McGee1971Mutrux, FloydEffect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, The1972Newman, PaulEnd of the Road1970Avakian, AramEntertaining Mr. Sloane1970Hickox, DouglasFriends of Eddie Coyle, The1973Yates, PeterFußgänger, Der (Pedestrian, The)1973Schell, MaximilianGal Young 'Un1979Nunez, VictorGo-Between, The1970Losey, JosephGoin' Down the Road1970Shebib, DonaldHenry VIII and His Six Wives1973Hussein, WarisHickey & Boggs 1972Culp, RobertHireling, The1973Bridges, AlanI Never Sang for My Father1970Cates, GilbertI.F. Stone's Weekly1973Bruck, Jerry Jr.In einem Jahr mit 13 Monden (In a Year of 13 Moons)1978Fassbinder, Rainer WernerInnocente, L' (Innocent, The)1976Visconti, LuchinoKing Lear1971Brook, PeterKing: A Filmed Record... Montgomery to Memphis1970Mankiewicz, Joseph L. and Lumet, SudneyKremlin Letter, The1970Huston, JohnLandlord, The1970Ashby, HalLast of the Mobile Hot Shots1970Lumet, SidneyLeadbelly1976Parks, GordonLet It Be1970Lindsay-Hogg, MichaelLies My Father Told Me1975Kadar, JanLooking for Mr. Goodbar1977Brooks, RichardMade For Each Other1971Bean, Robert B.Mind of Mr. Soames, The1970Cooke, AlanMouth to Mouth1978Duigan, JohnNew Centurions, The1972Fleischer, RichardNorthern Lights1978Hanson, JohnNybyggarna (New Land, The)1972Troell, JanOffence, The1973Lumet, SidneyOur Town 1977Schaefer, GeorgeOutfit, The 1973Flyn, JohnOver the Edge1979Kaplan, JonathanPied Piper, The1972Demy, JacquesPyx, The1973Hart, HarveyRomantic Englishwoman, The1975Losey, JosephSave the Children1973Lathan, StandSkin Deep1978Steven, GeoffSkin Game 1971Bogart, PaulSometimes a Great Notion1971Newman, PaulSounder, Part 21976Graham, William A.Stardust1974Apted, MichaelSummer Wishes, Winter Dreams1973Cates, GilbertTaking Off1971Forman, MilosTell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon1970Preminger, OttoThey Might Be Giants1971Harvey, AnthonyTristana1970Buñuel, LuisTropic of Cancer1970Strick, JosephUlzana's Raid1972Aldrich, RobertUtvandrarna (Emigrants, The)1971Troell, JanVincent, François, Paul... et les autres (Vincent, François, Paul and the Others)1974Sautet, ClaudeWild Rovers1971Edwards, BlakeWise Blood1979Huston, JohnYour Three Minutes Are Up1973Schwartz, Douglas

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How could I forget Why Shoot the Teacher, and even though I have the recently released French version, I'd still like to see a subtitled Taureau. I'll second The Anderson Tapes.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Quote:

Originally Posted by ted:r
My list, with director...I'm sure there are a lot of redundancies with those posted before...if some of these have slipped into release (Region 1), please, let me know! :

$1971Brooks, RichardAlambrista!1977Young, Robert M.American Boy: A Profile of: Steven Prince1978Scorsese, MartinAmerican Hot Wax1978Mutrux, FloydAnderson Tapes, The1971Lumet, SidneyAngst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter, Die (Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick, The)1972Wenders, WimAnsikte mot ansikte (Face To Face)1976Bergman, IngmarBackroads1977Noyce, PhilipBad (Andy Warhol's Bad)1977Johnson, JedBetween the Lines 1977Silver, Joan MicklinBoys in the Band, The1970Friedkin, WilliamBrewster McCloud1970Altman, RobertCarey Treatment, The1972Edwards, BlakeChant of Jimmie Blacksmith, The1978Schepisi, FredChildren of Theatre Street, The1977Dornhelm, RobertChilly Scenes Of Winter (Head Over Heels)1979Silver, Joan MicklinDay in the Death of Joe Egg, A1972Medak, PeterDeep End1970Skolimowski, JerzyDiary of a Mad Housewife1970Perry, FrankDritte Generation, Die (Third Generation, The)1979Fassbinder, Rainer WernerDusty and Sweets McGee1971Mutrux, FloydEffect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, The1972Newman, PaulEnd of the Road1970Avakian, AramEntertaining Mr. Sloane1970Hickox, DouglasFriends of Eddie Coyle, The1973Yates, PeterFußgänger, Der (Pedestrian, The)1973Schell, MaximilianGal Young 'Un1979Nunez, VictorGo-Between, The1970Losey, JosephGoin' Down the Road1970Shebib, DonaldHenry VIII and His Six Wives1973Hussein, WarisHickey & Boggs 1972Culp, RobertHireling, The1973Bridges, AlanI Never Sang for My Father1970Cates, GilbertI.F. Stone's Weekly1973Bruck, Jerry Jr.In einem Jahr mit 13 Monden (In a Year of 13 Moons)1978Fassbinder, Rainer WernerInnocente, L' (Innocent, The)1976Visconti, LuchinoKing Lear1971Brook, PeterKing: A Filmed Record... Montgomery to Memphis1970Mankiewicz, Joseph L. and Lumet, SudneyKremlin Letter, The1970Huston, JohnLandlord, The1970Ashby, HalLast of the Mobile Hot Shots1970Lumet, SidneyLeadbelly1976Parks, GordonLet It Be1970Lindsay-Hogg, MichaelLies My Father Told Me1975Kadar, JanLooking for Mr. Goodbar1977Brooks, RichardMade For Each Other1971Bean, Robert B.Mind of Mr. Soames, The1970Cooke, AlanMouth to Mouth1978Duigan, JohnNew Centurions, The1972Fleischer, RichardNorthern Lights1978Hanson, JohnNybyggarna (New Land, The)1972Troell, JanOffence, The1973Lumet, SidneyOur Town 1977Schaefer, GeorgeOutfit, The 1973Flyn, JohnOver the Edge1979Kaplan, JonathanPied Piper, The1972Demy, JacquesPyx, The1973Hart, HarveyRomantic Englishwoman, The1975Losey, JosephSave the Children1973Lathan, StandSkin Deep1978Steven, GeoffSkin Game 1971Bogart, PaulSometimes a Great Notion1971Newman, PaulSounder, Part 21976Graham, William A.Stardust1974Apted, MichaelSummer Wishes, Winter Dreams1973Cates, GilbertTaking Off1971Forman, MilosTell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon1970Preminger, OttoThey Might Be Giants1971Harvey, AnthonyTristana1970Buñuel, LuisTropic of Cancer1970Strick, JosephUlzana's Raid1972Aldrich, RobertUtvandrarna (Emigrants, The)1971Troell, JanVincent, François, Paul... et les autres (Vincent, François, Paul and the Others)1974Sautet, ClaudeWild Rovers1971Edwards, BlakeWise Blood1979Huston, JohnYour Three Minutes Are Up1973Schwartz, Douglas

I've recently seen somewhere that Criterion may be planning to release 'Wise Blood' in 2008. It might have been on the Criterion forum.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Great lists.

Payday is coming via WHV in January, along with several other intriguing titles of the '60s-'80s...the next Directors batch.

Over the Edge has been out in a nice edition from WHV for a couple of years now.

Paramount recently struck a new print of Deep End at the behest of several repertory theaters. Hopefully, this means it will eventually make its way to a Criterion release, as several other Paramount repertory titles have already done in recent months.

Dusty and Sweets McGee
Diary of a Mad Housewife
The Revolutionary
Dealing: Or the Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues
Hearts of the West
Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins
Deadhead Miles
Getting Straight
Taking Off
Lolly-Madonna XXX
When You Comin' Back Red Ryder?
The Crazy World of Julius Vrooder
Johnny Got His Gun
Citizen's Band (aka Handle With Care
That Summer
Knife in the Head
Almost Summer
Unholy Rollers
Massacre at Central High
On the Yard
Between the Lines
Chilly Scenes of Winter aka Head Over Heels (with both endings)
Ode to Billy Joe
Last Summer (1969)
Tell Them Willie Boy is Here (1969)
Brewster McCloud
Carny (1980)
Get to Know Your Rabbit
Corky
Busting
Sorcerer (OAR)
The Brink's Job
Freebie and the Bean
The Christian Licorice Store
Chandler
92 in the Shade
Reincarnation of Peter Proud
The Boys in the Band
The Great Texas Dynamite Chase
Terminal Island
Sweet Sugar
Boulevard Nights
Walk Proud
Those Lips, Those Eyes (1980)
California Dreaming
Baby Blue Marine
Vigilante Force
Damnation Alley
Buster and Billie
The Honkers
Sky Riders
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Hickey and Boggs
Monte Walsh
Last Embrace
Fighting Mad
The Rain People (1969)
The Outfit
Rolling Thunder
Out of It (1969)
Play It As It Lays
'Doc'
Bloodbrothers
Leadbelly
Scott Joplin
Capone
China 9, Liberty 37
Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?
One on One
Bugsy Malone
Skatetown, USA
Boardwalk
The Shout
The Gravy Train aka The Dion Brothers
Little Fauss and Big Halsy
The Pursuit of Happiness
White Line Fever
French Postcards (with original soundtrack)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks