What's new

Films of the 1970's on DVD (1 Viewer)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
From the late 60's (but 70's movies in spirit): THREE INTO TWO WON'T GO, HERE WE GO 'ROUND THE MULBERRY BUSH, THREE IN THE ATTIC and CAN HIERONIMUS MERKIN EVER FORGET MERCY HUMPPE AND FIND TRUE HAPPINESS?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Well if we're allowing late-60's films that are 70's in spirit, let me add 'Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here' - another great Universal film yet to see a DVD release.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Here's one of my favourites: The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three. I was surprised how great it was, especially running in near-real-time during the hostage situation.

moviefan

Agent
Real Name
justin
I would love to see Alex in Wonderland. I have never seen the film and looked for it on dvd or on Turner Classic Movies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
amazing that so many films like these are not on dvd yet.

also amazing that african queen still isnt either.

Eric Ten

Grip
Real Name
Eric Tengren
THE BRINK'S JOB
CRAZY JOE
ROLLING THUNDER
ELVIS THE MOVIE august 2007
THE GRAVY TRAIN AKA THE DION BROTHERS
BUSTING
THE OUTFIT
LET IT BE
THE GREAT NORTHFIELD MN. RAID
THE GREY FOX
And my dvd holy grail.....
THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE

Egbert Souse

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Saw a great `70s movie last night that I had forgotten about,"Electra Glide In Blue" with Robert Blake,very enjoyable and very `70s.

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
Some of my personal more obscure 70's favorites that I own or love:

The Long Goodbye
Scarecrow
Hardcore
The Yakuza
Performance
Charley Varrick (even if the DVD is fullscreen I paid a whopping $4 for it used)
The Conversation

And from the early 80's with a 70's vibe:

Used Cars
Where the Buffalo Roam
Blow Out
Nighthawks

As for those needed on DVD, I second the motions for Rolling Thunder, O Lucky Man!, and Cruising (was this announced?).

I just downloaded The Friends of Eddie Coyle from Amazon Unbox (damn lack of a DVD), and I'm really hyped up to watch it. I love The Yakuza, so Mitchum is probably awesome in this, which seems to be the consensus. Maybe a Criterion release since Paramount is licensing titles?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
would love to have Fedora.
Another one that I believe that MGM holds the rights to that I want badly is The Last Embrace.

others I would love but don't expect to be able to own anytime soon
GoldenGirl
Wanda Nevada
King Of The Gypsies
Almost Summer
California Dreaming
The Brinks Job
Sorcerer (remastered/correct AR)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The latest 70's DVD added to my collection is "The Nightcomers" (1972) starring Marlon Brando. Again I did not even know this was coming out on DVD and walking through a store there it was much to my surprise. Picked it up right away and I'll be watching it tonight.

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
would love to see reincarnation of peter proud.

michael sarrazin is sooo '70's:cool: man, peace.

Sam Hocevar

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam Hocevar
My personal list:
  • City Beneath the Sea (1971, TV movie)
  • Executive Action (1973) (this one seems to be in production)
  • Freebie and the Bean (1974) (Warner have been "discussing" it recently)
  • Tilt (1979)
  • Boulevard Nights (1979)
  • The Terminal Man (1974)
  • Black Eye (1974)
  • Hickey and Boggs (1972) (there is a DVD available but the quality is worse than VHS)
  • Cancel My Reservation (1972)
  • The Love Machine (1971)
  • Dusty and Sweets McGee (1971)

Ronn.W

Second Unit

I second that! This is one of my favorite movies in general. It's a title I'd think any fan of 70's film should have.

I'd add Race With the Devil to the list, that movie's a lot of fun. I'd also have to suggest Kelly's Heroes to anyone who hasn't seen it. One of the best movies of all time, I think.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It is a great decade for film and even the minor films from the 70s are so much better than 95% of what is released these days. I love the lists you guys are posting and I'd love to see all of these films come to DVD. The thing that I think makes these films so much better than films from the following decades is the layers you find in them. Even what would be seen as a silly comedy from the 70s seems to have layers of social commentary and messages that seem to no longer have a place in most film today. Really you have to go to independent cinema or foreign film to find things that have layers. So much of the "product" from the 80s forward seems geared less to creating an interesting film and more toward finding a way to release films that are more likely to make money. In the 70s films were made by the writer, director, and creative team and they let the audience find the film. Now the film is made to find the audience and it is produced to be as vanilla as possible to appeal to the widest range of people. It's a sad state but thank god for the folks who still make something because it is a story they are interested in and not just to sell as many tickets as they can.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that nobody in this thread has mentioned the original 1977 "Star Wars" movie.

I would still *love* to see a decent anamorphic release of that title to DVD.

An almost perfect description of the original "Star Wars" movie!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's funny that when they were making the original Star Wars film a lot of people thought it was just going to be a goofy B-movie but due to the way they worked back then and how much creativity they poured into the film it has become a film that will be watched again and again for decades to come. With all the slick effects of the more recent Star Wars films what they were missing was the heart of the thing. Yes, I prefer the original version too and I like the old effects and the guys in the cantina in latex masks rather than all the fancy hocus pocus...I don't know, it just feels more alive the old way.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

1st rate list, Peter. You have 2 listed that I've wanted for a long time....waiting for the releases....

CHARLEY VARRICK (1973, widescreen version!)
TELEFON (1977)

Since Uni released CV in a pan/scan DVD, will we ever get the WS one? Luckily, I still have the LaserDisc WS of this one.

And, what's the story with Telefon? I wonder if there's a legal/rights logjam at MGM with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks