What's new

FILM NOIR - The Forgotten Genre on DVD. (1 Viewer)

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
I'll 2nd, 3rd, & 4th the vote for 1945's Leave Her To Heaven, featuring the stunning Gene Tierney! A great story & a great movie!
Not to mention the Oscar-winning color cinematography by Leon Shamroy.

Hopefully, the sales of Ghost & Mrs. Muir and Laura will be strong enough to prompt Fox to release Leave Her to Heaven (my favorite Gene Tierney movie) on DVD.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
What Kenneth said above. :)

(Good point.)

Leave Her To Heaven's OAR is probably Academy (1.37). Correct? It was 1945. Probably too early for any Widescreen format, right?

Although, my VHS package of L.H.T.H. DOES say the proverbial disclaimer..."Modified to fit your screen" spiel. But, I've noted on many VHS releases of 1.33/1.37 films, that this message is erroneously present. Is this because the "modified" notation is TECHNICALLY acccurate....seeing as how it's really going from 1.37 (Academy) to your TV's 1.33:1 ratio? Or is it simply an error in packaging? (Done on tons of titles though.)

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
David,

On Dangerous Ground is indeed one of Bernard Herrmann's most dramatic scores. There are a couple of discs with short excerpts, but the entire score has never been released to my knowledge. The film is terrific, too. I caught it on AMC about 13 years ago. It's not on too often.

If you want to whet your appetite for the score, get a copy of "Citizen Kane: Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann" CD with Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic (It should be available on BMG for about $12). It has one brief excerpt from the "chase on the ice." Only a few minutes, but one of the most intense few minutes of music ever composed for film. The rest of the disc is also terrific, with some excerpts from Citizen Kane, including the aria scene, with Kiri te Kanawa belting it out; as well as some other scores which haven't seen complete releases. One of the best film score albums ever.

There's another Bernard Herrmann compliation from Silva with a couple more excerpts from On Dangerous ground, but the quality of performance is nowhere near as good. The "Chase on the Ice" cut is quite limpid in comparison to the Gerhardt.

Take care!
Scott

TimJS

Second Unit

Dunno if that has anything to do with WB R1, but us Foreign Correspondent fans have our fingers crossed.

On the Noir list would like to see The Unsuspected (1947) added. Never seen it, but sounds interesting.

Tim

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
David

I have On Dangerous Ground on laser, try checking e-bay now an again for it, it's worth the effort.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
...what's wrong with the restored version on DVD?

Yes, it looks much better than the old laserdisc, and the laser is cropped.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
On Dangerous Ground came out on LD??!!!

Holy Toledo!

Had no idea.

Funny, then, that it never made it to even VHS. :confused:

When was that released? How's it look?

Thanx. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

David,
"On Dangerous Ground" been released on VHS a long time ago. Matter of fact, right at this time, I'm looking at an unopen VHS tape of "On Dangerous Ground" that was released by Turner Home Entertainment.

Crawdaddy

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"On Dangerous Ground" [was] released on videotape a long time ago.
Yep. You are so correct. I'm an idiot. :b

Just checked L. Maltin's Guide. He does, indeed, note that it has (at some point in a galaxy far away in the distance) been released on LD & VHS.

Wish they'd re-release this baby.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The Desperate Hours (1955)
Just noticed that the exterior of the Leave It To Beaver house is used in this motion picture. Kind of odd, I thought, considering Beaver's home is @ Universal, and Desperate Hours is a Paramount release.

Has anyone also ever noted the famous Cleaver abode being utilized in other films as well? ... Such as 1964's Send Me No Flowers.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
David

The laser of On Dangerous Ground is nice. It was put out by Image under the Turner Entertainment label (which at that time, owned the RKO library). I'm also luck enough to own RKO's Murder My Sweet, The NarrowMargin, The Set-Up, The Big Steal, The Racket, Out of the Past, Crossfire, Clash by Night, Journey into Fear and They Live by Night on laser too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks