Film Noir Classic Collection Vol. 3 in slim cases?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JimKr, Jul 19, 2006.

1. JimKr

JimKr Stunt Coordinator

Just received my copy from our favorite online retailer and to my surprise the discs are in very slim cases unlike volumes 1 & 2. I certainly wish the previous 2 sets were in the same type cases. That or this set was in the same cases the first 2 were. Not a big deal but it struck me as odd that Warner would change course like that.

2. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I say good deal! Now I don't have to do it myself!

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I have no inside knowledge but I'd bet that it's to save on the limited shelf space of retailers.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Warner announced a few months ago that they were phasing in the slim line cases on their sets. I'm quite glad. The spines aren't as nice, but the space that is saved makes it well worth it.

5. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    ..well it sure saves space here too. Bring 'em on Warners, my groaning shelves love you.

6. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

I would think it would depend on if the films are to be released individually or not as the determining factor of slim case or not. The Clark Gable Signature set and Bette Davis Vol 2 recently released were not slim case and most of the films were also available individually. An exception to this was the Lucy/Desi set
    which was slim case and 2 of the films were released separately in the slim case. Lucy/Desi ( Long, Long Trailer and Forever, Darling) are the only slim cases I am aware that were released without the box. Maybe its a test.

7. Rod J

Rod J Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Rodney Jewett
    It would be nice to have the collection in consistent packaging. Will they offer slim cases for existing owners of collections 1 & 2.
    Also, does anyone know if they're going to pull this on the Astaire & Rogers second collection.

8. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I would have preferred consistent packaging, but that's no big deal... Will buy anyway.

9. JimKr

JimKr Stunt Coordinator

I like the packaging, the issue is consistency. It would be nice if they offered slim cases for the older sets. Not a big deal, it just struck me as odd.

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Also would have preferred consistency, but nothing will prevent me from buying these on release day!

I was under the impressiont hat Warner would not switch up the packaging of existing release series.

I do appreciate the space-saving, and it is really needed... I'm just a bit compulsive about the display of my collection.

Oh well.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That is probably a major motivation behind this decision because Warner produces more boxsets than all of the other studios combined. Also, this works for the future because Warner has plenty of other film noirs to release in future boxset releases.

12. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Let's all stop and remember that if Warners did everything based on consistency, all of these releases would be in snappers.

All they're doing is adapting to changing consumer and retail demands. There will always be those who won't be happy, but many fans and retailers have been asking for slimmer packages and Warners is responding.

Good for them.

13. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

since only 2 out of 5 titles in the ronald reagan set will be released individually, that set will most likely have the slim cases too.

14. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    A slight bit annoying, but certainly nothing fatal. The must-own factor is still just as high. [​IMG]

15. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I took Warners' Film Noir Sets 1 and 2 and put them in slimline cases -- all 10 fit inside the original box for Set 1! It saves a lot of room, really. I hope all the future sets come in slimlines.

16. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Slimcases would be hard to shelve and sell retail, but in boxes, they're fine. I would think it's just a matter of which titles are sold individually that determines whether or not they're slim or regular.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Great post that I agree with totally.

Crawdaddy

18. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

If Warner started re-releasing on their older DVDs in slimline cases, which I already own in snappers, I'd buy them all again! As it is now, I'm consigned to making my own cases for these.

19. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

On Turner Classic Movies, they aired a commercial for the Film Noir Vol 3 boxset, and they were indeed in the slim cases.

20. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I'm not a slim line fan. I probably wouldn't have minded if I kept the original titles in their box but I don't. On TV, like the Big Valley or Hart To Hart boxes, I don't mind the slim line case at all since they are all the same show but box sets of films are of different films even if they are connected thematically. I tossed out the box of noir sets 1 and 2 and placed the titles alphabetically in my collection. Now, I'll just have to pull the films out of their slim line cases and place them in regular keepcases and voila!