What's new

Film Greats: Alain Resnais’ ‘Last Year At Marienbad’ (1961) (1 Viewer)

Brian Champ

Auditioning
Excellent posts... really.
Thanks Gary for posting. I agree with everything you have said... it's great to know that Ebert really reads in this Forum... I'm not surprised, I have heard he is really into the Internet... and his Great Movies have introduced me to many films that I was not aware of previously...
Seeyaa,
BC

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Gary --
Edwin's attitude doesn't need any "relaxing". He and I disagree about films all the time, but I've always found him to be open-minded and respectful of others and their opinions. What more could anyone ask?
M.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been too busy going to the NY Film Festival to follow this thread, but better late than never.
quote: ...I am one who fell utterly in love with Delphine Seyrig - and her voice! - when I saw this movie way back in 1961... a couple of years later, when I lived in Paris, I was fortunate in seeing the lady on stage in "A Month in the Country" - there it was again: that voice (a Russian play, where people talk and talk and talk... sheer heaven)! She could have been reciting the Paris phone book and I would have been in bliss... ahh, memories!...[/quote]
I too saw her on stage and … I’ll just let you speak for me :) She played Sarah Bernhardt in "Sarah ou le Cri de la langouste", by Georges Wilson.
quote: ...as for Resnais' "On connaît la chanson"(* ) being "...thoroughly ripped off by Moulin Rouge..." - ahh... wouldn't it be fairer to say that OCLC thoroughly ripped off Woody Allen's "Everyone Says I Love You"?...[/quote]
No, because "Everyone Says I Love You" is a fairly conventional musical. What "On connaît la chanson" & “Moulin Rouge” have in common is that the characters burst into bits & pieces of well known popular songs, sometimes for just one line, to express a single thought. In fairness, I have heard that the true pioneer with this idea was a TV show called “The Singing Detective”, but I’ve never seen it – if it isn’t on the silver screen (or stage) it doesn’t exist.
Edwin, I defer to your clearly superior knowledge of Newport mansions (I only remember Jackie Bouvier’s kitchen) and will argue no more.
Ted
[Edited last by Ted Todorov on October 02, 2001 at 10:49 AM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In fairness, I have heard that the true pioneer with this idea was a TV show called “The Singing Detective”
Not the show, Ted, but its author, Dennis Potter. And The Singing Detective is only the most famous example of his use of this technique. Another is the earlier series Pennies from Heaven (the original, not the American remake with Steve Martin).
M.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
artsy fartsy: The 2001 Encarta World English Dictionary defines…
Oops, sorry, I guess that has been covered already.
wink.gif

At this time, some clarification is in order. From the very beginning, I have always included the following words to describe this series: Film Greats: A continuing quick look at motion pictures, that in one way or another, have been called “great films” by some. That was not the exact description since day one but has certainly evolved to what it is now. Those words have always been what this series was all about, one person’s quick views on certain films, and not as an exposé, dissertation or in-depth narrative on world cinematic films examining every single detail there is available. I would like to suggest to those reading this series to take it for what it is and not for what it isn’t.
In addition, I always try and get my facts straight before I post. Once in a great while (yes, a great while, as I am very proud of my track record), mistakes do happen. After all, I am human, and I just don’t let my fingers run wild on the keyboard. But please, don’t go into a tizzy when these rare mistakes happen as I assure you that they were not made with the intent to deceive.
Furthermore, as the author of these threads, I would like to think that I could speak freely about certain films whether or not I found them to be good. Rest assured that the opinion(s) I have posted and will post in the future, are my own thoughts, in my own words and in a lighthearted, serious or any other manner I see fit. A form that is always mine and not dictated by others but never in a manner so as to offend others. At times, these films have been seen more than once and researched to gain a better understanding. Still, there will be instances where I may have to disagree with the majority opinion as I am allowed to. However, other members are always encouraged to post their own thoughts for a good and lively discussion. All I ask is that we all respect other people’s opinions and not attack them.
Finally, some of us take these films far too seriously. We sometimes forget that we are supposed to enjoy these films for whatever reasons we come to seek them out. So my advice to everyone, especially to those who have not already done so is, to MELLOW OUT! :)
Until next time.
~Edwin
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/006466.html
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on October 03, 2001 at 01:30 AM]

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
All I ask is that we all respect other people’s opinions and not attack them.
Edwin, I am sorry you felt attacked, but anyone who objectively disagrees with you is not attacking you. Perhaps, you have been spoiled by this Forum where regardless of what you post the generic cliche, and sometimes overly polite, response flood "Great post Edwin", "You are the man, Edwin", "Edwin has an open-mind" is soon to follow... :)
I had hoped my post might have got you a little closer to what you are obviously seeking, but alas... the thousand-plus posters chimed in with unnecessary support... After everything I wrote all Michael had to say was "Edwin has an open mind"... sheeesh. Sounds like he didn't even read your diatribe on Last Year at Marienbad that started this thread.
rolleyes.gif
. It didn't sound especially open-minded to me at all... but because of previous posts in this Forum, we all gave you the leeway you deserve. I think you are strong enough to survive the "attack" that you perceived... and I also think your ego does not require the continual support posts of the local boys...
Regarding your error on the "Greatest" films of all time. Very big of you to admit the mistake... if that's what you did
confused.gif
, but as I stated it was "not glaring", you had no need to make too big of a deal about it. You are human, like the rest of us.
I don't think this Forum would do any good if you simply posted your opinions and everyone else just agreed with them. The arguments that opposed you were so much more objective than your own review. I hope your overly defensive attitude ( IMHO ) helps you seek the truth of the films that find their way into your Home Theatre... but at this rate, I am doubtful.
------------------
rublev.gif
[email protected]
DVD COLLECTION CONTEST , My DVD Collection ,My Home Theatre
DVDBeaver's 15 Member choices of the TOP 111 DVDs available today!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Perhaps, you have been spoiled by this Forum where regardless of what you post the generic cliche, and sometimes overly polite, response flood "Great post Edwin", "You are the man, Edwin", "Edwin has an open-mind" is soon to follow...
Now you're the one whose facts are wrong. Edwin is well-liked, but he's also frequently disagreed with. Anyone who reads this forum regularly should know that.
Gary, I'm sorry that I can't contribute to the discussion of Marienbad, but I've never seen the film. It's on my "to see" list, which is why this thread caught my attention. The posts on the film itself have been informative and thought-provoking. Perhaps the thread could now return to that subject.
M.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Gary
Please take no offense, but perhaps
part of the problem is the tone of your posts.
To my ears, they have a condescending, holier-than-thou
attitude to them that almost begs a defensive response. I don't believe that was your intention, but you sure came across that way to me.
Disagreeing is fine, opinions are subjective, enlightenment is welcome, all with a positive tone that adds to a discussion, rather than a negative one that detracts from it.
I too wish I could add to this discussion, alas I too haven't seen this film. But from the posts that it has generated here, I will definitely see it soon.
Again Gary, no offense intended, merely an observation. :)
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.
[Edited last by Tino on October 03, 2001 at 12:08 PM]

Pascal A

Second Unit
I just wanted to post some thoughts to clarify certain aspects of Last Year at Marienbad for those who are not too familiar with Alain Resnais' style, primarily because I'd hate to see people be dissuaded from watching Resnais' films on the basis of only one film.
I believe that when academics or critics such as Ebert designate a film to be "great" or in their "Top XX" list, it comes with not only a great deal of personal attachment, but also a fairly good grasp for the director's work. When a film like Last Year at Marienbad is singled out, it is a singular distinction that, of all of Resnais' body of work, this film exemplifies the pinnacle of the director's vision. This does not mean that anyone who is remotely interested in Resnais' films should go out and start with Last Year at Marienbad. Designating great films is one thing; defining an introductory film from a specific director is another.
Personally, I would recommend watching Night and Fog or Hiroshima mon Amour first, for anyone interested in delving into Resnais' work. What emerges from these earlier, more accesssible films is the experience of finding certain common elements that can be brought into a more abstract and confounding film like Last Year at Marienbad: the transitory nature of existence; the imperfectness of memory; the suppression of personal guilt; the elliptical nature of time (or how our behavior is affected by our previous actions).
With these films (and also Muriel, Mon Oncle d'amerique, and Je t'aime, je t'aime), in your backpocket, I think that you can appreciate the attempt of Last Year at Marienbad, even if you don't "get" it.
------------------
Strictly Film School
[Edited last by Pascal A on October 03, 2001 at 03:35 PM]

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
La Guerre est fini is another, much more conventional Resnais film, though it does have brief, flash-forward "future conditional" sequences (think Run Lola Run). It's got big stars, romance, suspense, action... all that good stuff! It might play a bit oddly in today's climate in that it's superficially about covert revolutionary cells and terrorists. But since they're bent on subverting fascist Spain in the name of liberal democracy (with a decidedly leftist slant, I'm sure), I don't think the subject matter would be particularly offensive. And the DVD from Image boasts a very nice transfer.
Resnais is certainly not one of my favorite directors, but my favorites of his films are Hiroshoma, mon amour with Marienbad a close second. I still haven't seen his documentary Night and Fog (available on Short:3 from Warner Bros.), but it may be his most universally praised work.
------------------
"Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere."
ver.gif

Link Removed
[Edited last by Al Brown on October 03, 2001 at 12:52 PM]

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Al, I strongly recommend "Night and Fog", a great 32 minute film. The offsetting poetic dialogue mixed with the sublime empty images and then horrific death camp visions are unforgettable... he does a great slow pan... alot. Actually that Short DVD has other great stuff on as well... a good purchase.
Cheers,
------------------
rublev.gif
[email protected]
DVD COLLECTION CONTEST , My DVD Collection , My Home Theatre
DVDBeaver's 15 Member choices of the TOP 111 DVDs available today!
[Edited last by Gary Tooze on October 03, 2001 at 01:04 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks