What's new

Fight club questions...(SPOILERS GALORE!) (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I thought she basically played a semen receptacle. I thought the shortcoming of the film was her character- so hollywood "weird" and completely one dimensional.

I wonder what her power animal was.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Vince,
Have you ever re-watched the film? You're summary is correct during a first viewing, but her performance gets better with every subsequent viewing.

As for the Tyler/Jack thing. I don't think anyone is saying that Ed Norton's character's real name was Jack. I can only speak for myself, but when I call him Jack, I'm just doing it to avoid confusion.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Watch Marla's reaction when Jack shows up because Marla calls him for some medical reason/breast exam (I think, something that she would only share with Jack, and not Tyler). And then watch the scene when she shows up at "their" house when Project Mayhem is in full swing and her reaction to Jack then. Upon second viewing, and knowing that Jack and Tyler are the same, look at Marla's reaction, those scenes take on a very different meaning for Marla.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Someone explain to me why someone would enter a thread entitled "Fight Club Questions" and not expect spoilers... yeesh...

But you all have raised some interesting questions... I never really thought about the Bob questions, since when Narrator was out of the loop, I just assumed the group was spreading.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
at the very beginning of the narration, norton says how things would have been cool but got all f'd up because of marla (or something to that affect).

completely off-topic, but i gotta say my absolute favorite scene is when marla is telling norton that he's "spectacular" in bed - then you see the look on norton's face and he's like, "shit...i don't even remember it..."

truly priceless!!!

:laugh:

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
no one is saying that his characters name is Jack, I was saying that is was a very common name used by everyone, technically Edward Norton is Tyler Durden, and Brad Pitt is just a projection from 'Jack'.

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Fight Club is one of those films that's pretty much infinitely re-watchable for me. I'm sure I've sat through the whole thing at least 7 or 8 times (plus checking out the commentaries on the DVD!).

Anyway, to answer Artur's initial question, I always assumed that this was due to the formation of other Clubs around the country.

Vince, I have to agree with a couple others that your perception of Marla is way off! I was skanked out by her the first time I watched, but after you realize what's going on, it's great to see her confused and pissed off reactions to "Ed Norton's character" when he's not in the Tyler personality. The scene between them in the kitchen after their night together is great.

One of my favorite lines in the film is when Marrla says

"I haven't been f***ed like that since gradeschool."

It's so over the top and nasty - hilarious! Check out Fincher's commentary during that scene - makes it even better.

Just my $.02

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Dan, "I haven't been f'ed like that since grade school" is great. The original line is even better though IMO. "I want to have your abortion."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the Jack/Tyler thing is just a shortcut for any discussion of the film at this point. Anyway who has participated in more than 5 minutes of debate on this film knows where the "Jack" thing comes from, etc.

I agree with Matt and others that Vince's reading is off. I thought Carter gave perhaps the best and most crucial performence in the film. She had to play both ways at the exact same time, so that on the first viewing you believe her seedy role in his life, but on the second viewing you see her as still self-loathing but also in need of Tyler's affection. Most of her "crazy" moments come more from his wacked emotional swings on her than her own issues.

Obviously she doesn't have a strong enough image of her self-worth to leave the asshole, but that doesn't make her needs crap nor her just some dirty whore.

And to be honest in the end I really think these two fucked up people could be helpful for each other. I think both characters are much smarter than the life they are living, but their emotional/mental problems are holding them back. If only they could push past that they could be very happy together.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
IIRC, the "haven't been f***ed like that since grade school" was the original line, the studio suits balked and asked Fincher to change it, which he did to "I want to have your abortion", which in their view was worse and they begged him to change it back. :D

Shane D

Supporting Actor
actually yee, i think you have it backwards, isn't i want to have you abortion in the book? and they filmed that, and they said change that, and he said ok, and then he gradeschool thing they hated more but kept, and on helena's commentary she said she didnt see the big deal at the time caus she didnn't know what grade school meant to americans

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
Shane is correct,

The original line was referenced to abortion. They harped on Fincher to change it and he said, "okay". What they got was the grade school remark. They begged him to change it back and he politely declined. I agree with Fincher also that the second line is much 'better' and has that 'fucked up' feel that abortion is just lame in comparison to...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks