What's new

Fifth Element: Gee I have to keep dvd (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The fact that they didn't include most of the Special features on the
dvd really is a srew up,I was hoping to get rid of the dvd,but you have
to keep both,ugh!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Something to consider. This is a catalog release that they pulled out the stops on in terms of video and audio (to the tune of two lossless tracks). This takes up space whichever way you slice it. If it were between doing that or adding some SD extras, I'm glad they opted to focus on the A/V. Now they could've made it a two-disc set, but that would've bumped up the price-point.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Peter, yeah, I was expecting all the extras from the US special edition DVD set, and I also expected that they would add back in the special effects commentary track from the UK special edition DVD set that was not present on the US special edition DVD set.

I am sure once BluRay becomes popular they'll start making special editions and will revisit this one.

In related news: Mondoshawan bobblehead!
www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=8929

JulianK

Supporting Actor

The film is distributed by Fox in the UK, so it's doubtful that Sony has easy access to the disc's FX commentary.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
have you watched the special features on the dvd? If so, why do you need to watch them multiple times?

Guess I'm just not a special features guy...

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to know as well. I even wrote Sony and Dreamworks with no answer as that dumb security tape wreaked two of my cases.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I unfortunately think Sony will be a repeat offender in this regard. I thoroughly expect to be Netflixing many titles that I would rather buy due to the supps exclusion issue, hoping to see a more comprehensive/definitive release in the future.

Having said that, Rob you raise a good point in your post #7. I have become more critical about what I call "RVQ": repeat viewing quotient. If the RVQ is low, I've become a little less retentive in recent years about keeping an early release DVD because it has supps that are 'unique content.'

I think this issue will only get more acute as we hopefully progress deeper into new HD supps for catalog titles. I'd surmise that, on a catalog reissue for which the studio has sponsored new HD supps such as a documentary, the prevailing marketing winds will blow towards featuring that new content in favor of porting over legacy/SD supps from a previous release.

There are also rights issues: I'd surmise that the reason Sony didn't include the "Frontline" and History Channel documentaries from disc three of the Black Hawk Down SD Deluxe Edition on the BD is because they didn't want to pay PBS and A&E more licensing fees for that content to be included on a new release.

I predict a lot of tough decisions, teeth gnashing and shelf space crises for the serious buff/collector in connection with these issues.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I have to mention this bookshelf display item coming out later in 2009:

The Fifth Element Stones Set - Limited Edition of 150 Pieces
By Hollywood Collectibles

"From this timeless cult classic sci-fi movie we have created this amazing set of Elemental stones, surrounding the central statue - The Fifth Element. Each stone is approx 9″ tall and is presented on a display base themed around the Egyptian temple from the movie, positioned around the Fifth Element. The Fifth Element statue is approx 12″ tall. 14″ overall height including base."

The Fifth Element Stones Set - Limited Edition of 150 Pieces - The Fifth Element Replicas at BigBadToyStore

I've seen fan-made resin stones before but this licensed product is the first time anyone has made the central sarcophagus. If I had $250 to spend, I'd consider it. People buy tribal art at Pier 1 that is half as pretty. If there was a way for me to swing this, I believe I would. It's beautiful!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Damn that is tempting! I love this film, and would love to have that set.

It does say that the pre-order is sold out... that is actually a relief to my wallet!

Brian

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

Keep the disc...I'll take the art! Too bad if they're going to limit it to only 150 sets, though...

Bruce

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I put a reserve on one. Now I need to start saving my credits...

I'd linked to one of the stores, but I ordered it from the makers (hollywood-collectibles.com) instead.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've received the stones and statue set (pictured above)! But I can't afford to keep it. So I'm turning it around on ebay (after having opened it, stared at it, and put it back in its box with a sigh). These things are huge!

Am I allowed to pimp my ebay link?
cgi.ebay.com/The-Fifth-Element-Stones-Prop-Replica-Statue-Set-5th_W0QQitemZ140346185430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0

I'm undercutting the other couple of stores that are selling it, by the way. I'm going to lose a few bucks on this, but that's ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks