FIFA World Cup - Germany 2006

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Holadem, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

The US has never finished scoring no goals, at least going back to 1990. Both crash outs in 1990 and 1998 saw them at least score if nothing else [​IMG]

Lew, if you want a FABULOUS world cup excel spread sheet, down load this. Its impressive to say the least

http://www.parry.co.nz/wc.zip

Andy

2. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I see them losing to Italy 3-1, followed by a nil-nil vs. Ghana

Shortly thereafter Bruce Arena will resign or be fired. One way or another he isn't surviving what is rapidly becoming a fiasco. Outside of throwing his team under the bus, and the various media tit-for-tat's, when player's are saying in interviews that they didn't know what their role was and weren't prepared, that reflects directly on the coach.

I know I don't follow this even close to the level as the rest of you here, but Arena isn't exactly popular among the powers-that-be in USA Soccer anyway is he?

3. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

In a way, neither will happen. His contract runs out as soon as the World Cup ends. Should the World Cup prove to be the disappointment that it has started with, they will simply part ways.

Arena will likely end up back in MLS eventually, and who knows who the next coach will be.

Andy

4. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

My mom's best friend is from Trinidad, so I was rooting for them today. Plus even if they're not part of LATIN America, they are our close neighbors (7 miles off our eastern coast), so... Caribbean represent! [​IMG]

And you know, they're not done for yet. If they can pull off a strong win against Paraguay, they could still qualify.

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Didn't know that Andy, thanks.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Thanks for the link Andy--true enough they did score--but came in last nontheless.

7. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey

Have to diasagree here. Full marks to T & T but they came and set up their game not to concede. With 11 men behind the ball, it was going to take patience for England to break them down. This was never going to be an open game and England were much better than the last game. Their main failing throughout the game is not taking their chances when they came. Lampard should have had a hat-trick, both Owen and Crouch should have scored earlier and then it would have been a completely different game because T & T would have had to come out (as they did and then conceded another a few minutes later from yet another belter from Stevie G)

It was nice to see Rooney on the pitch but Aaron Lennon played really well and increased the pace of the game. Im expecting a much better game for England against Sweden who are likely to be pushing forward to score and it will mean the game will be far more open for England.

8. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Yes, Simon, it was fairly obvious and expected that T&T were playing not to lose, they only had a few slight chances in the first half. The second half saw T&T with some real chances, but also worn down and finally broke down to the numerous English pushes, particularly in the last 20 minutes.

However, I did think the match would end in a draw. I may be wrong, but if England wins their group, Germany will have to come in second for them to meet on June 25th. I think Germany will beat Ecuador next Tuesday.

Will England play strong against Sweden ? I dunno, it seems like they wouldnt want to meet Germany.

Thanks Andy for the spreadsheet, that is great !

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Probably, but again, a draw is not completely out of the question given the performance of the South Americans so far, IMO. EDIT: I do tend to forget that the Germans are at home. Hmmmm....

I am torn on the issue the more I think about it: I want the Germany-England showdown, yet it would take something away from teh cup if it happened before the quarter finals, you know? At the same time, I am tired of the same-ole same-ole rivalries playing out during the later stages of the tournament.

This is exciting stuff [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG].

--
    H

10. andrew markworthy

I would like to conduct an experiment with Lampard, a football and a barn door, and see if item 1 could hit item 3 with item 2. [​IMG]

I think England will be facing their first significant opponents when they meet Sweden and our record versus Sweden is pretty dire.

11. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Ecuador is rocking! Nice to see.

12. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Really depressing game between Argentina and Serbia-Montenegro, who are just totally deflated. Not even trying. Being down 3-0 is tough... but where's their spirit?

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It only got worse—Serbia & Montenegro just quit. Argentina looked good for a while, but how anyone can judge the strength of a side when the other gives up is questionable.

I don’t really think that anyone expected a 6–0 score in the ‘group of death’.

14. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Think about the variables that came together in that game.

Argie is up already handily 3-0
    The S&M get a red card
    The Argie sub in two players that could start for almost any team in the world
    The two subs want to prove themselves and slice and dice the disconsolate S&M team like they were not even on the field.

Andy

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, all that is really needed for "Group of Death" label are very strong teams (real or perceived) who are guarrantied passage to round 2. It's a group of death because the chances of the other two teams are next to nil, not because it's an even distribution of talent as the quote implies. That's my understanding anyway, do correct me if I am wrong [​IMG].

--
    H

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Nevermind my "Group of Death" definition above, according to Wikipedia, I am quite wrong:

--
    H

17. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

Holadem,

Its the first decription you showed that is what is commonly used in the media circles and fan base around the world when referring to 'groups of death'

Andy

18. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I always thought it was along the lines of the Wikipedia definitions that Holadem posted, i.e. a group with at least 3 or maybe even 4 teams that seem to be legitimately good enough to advance to the elimination rounds. But this usually means that there are two very strong teams in there to begin with, so you'd look at the group pairings and say, "OK, teams A and B should advance from there...but wait a minute, team C is really good too, that's a group of death!"

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I will never forgive Cote D'Ivoire for fucking up that superb, once-in-a-tournament counter attack opportunity to equalize. Goddamnit.

--
    H

20. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons