What's new

"Fiddler on the Roof" April 5th from MGM (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Style "C" was for Foreign markets only, Style "A" was for Britian. The US Used Style "B" and "D" was the 79 re-release (where 20 minutes were cut from the film)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Style "C" was for Foreign markets only, Style "A" was for Britian. The US Used Style "B" and "D" was the 79 re-release (where 20 minutes were cut from the film)
Which explains why I was unfamiliar with Style C. The Style A artwork was also used - Tevye was on the front, I think the sisters were on the back - on the Original Soundtrack LP, which is where I recognized it from (I still have my very well-worn copy of that LP).

Glad I missed that 79 re-release. Sounds like a travesty.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Glad I missed that 79 re-release. Sounds like a travesty.
I saw this version about 15 years ago in a revival house. Being familiar with the film, I knew something was amiss when the credits sequence preceded "Tradition." I can not remember each specific cut, but most of the missing material involved the politics, which really flattened the emotional narrative. "Far from the Home I Love" was completely missing, as was "Anatevka."

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I remember some of the Style C posters slipping into the small southern towns. They may have been originaly done for the foreign markets, but someone at UA thought they would work in the in the sticks. The hicks were not into Jewish musicals much. Style A was also used in the US for I saw it hanging along with Syle B at the Rivoli Theatre in New York. It also was the album cover.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Style C is hanging on my wall.
that artwork is also used on a foreign two disc lp soundtrack I have.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Except the town in the film looks nothing like that - it's a poor village not a Roman tourist attraction. Plus the poor fiddler he looks like a Beverly Hills Rabbi
Fair enough. This reminds me that it's been about 30 years since I've seen the film. :)

Interesting trivia: Norman JEWison, director of this most Jewish of musicals, is not Jewish!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Fair enough. This reminds me that it's been about 30 years since I've seen the film. :)

Interesting trivia: Norman JEWison, director of this most Jewish of musicals, is not Jewish!
Actually I think he didn't think he was, but then found out many years later that he had some Jewish roots...

PS Just looked it up on wikipedia. Guess I was wrong here. Sorry about that. Protestant.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I love this movie. Hope it's a good transfer.

Probably I'm forgetting something, but to me it's the last of the great Hollywood musicals....

I like Grease a lot, but it's not the same to me somehow.

And the recent musicals even more so...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by benbess
Actually I think he didn't think he was, but then found out many years later that he had some Jewish roots...

PS Just looked it up on wikipedia. Guess I was wrong here. Sorry about that. Protestant.
I think he can claim honorary status. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Originally Posted by benbess
I love this movie. Hope it's a good transfer.

Probably I'm forgetting something, but to me it's the last of the great Hollywood musicals....

I like Grease a lot, but it's not the same to me somehow.

And the recent musicals even more so...
I'd have to go with The Nightmare Before Christmas.

And later this year is Rock of Ages. . .

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewA /forum/thread/308710/fiddler-on-the-roof-april-5th-from-mgm#post_3780283

Ten Oscars, and one of the great musicals of Broadway and Hollywood. Its cover will probably look like this:

de38f3e4_worstcoverever2.jpg

Love it! Mine has a little more Detail:

94297b26_wssblkbray.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
[COLOR= black]you guys are too much, just spit my coffee all over the screen on that, since i am not in the biblical cover debate on this, if MGM does something like that is it proper to use the words God Awful! [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]i mean today sharks vs jets have a whole new meaning just look[/COLOR]

Sharks Vs. Jets

allanfisch

Agent
Real Name
Allan
a great deal of time and effort went into restoring this film back in 96. I had a new film element made from the original negative, retimed it and we created a new 5.1 and spent a great deal of time on the coloring. In fact, I pulled the job from the first facility because it wasn't coming out the way that it should or could. I hope that they have taken the care and time to match the colorings that we did at MVF when they created the HD master...

allanfisch

Agent
Real Name
Allan
the standard def transfer of this title is not just so so...We spent a great deal of time and money. My only regret is that we didn't create an HD master, but at the time it was a luxury with no immediate market. Hopefully they pulled my master and matched the color correction and did the necessary clean-up and dirt fixes.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by allanfisch
the standard def transfer of this title is not just so so...We spent a great deal of time and money. My only regret is that we didn't create an HD master, but at the time it was a luxury with no immediate market. Hopefully they pulled my master and matched the color correction and did the necessary clean-up and dirt fixes.
Thank goodness I can thank someone for the standard DVD release. I thought the transfer was great and the sound was spectacular. I would bring out the DVD just to listen to the songs and music. I am looking forward to the Blu-ray release, but the standard DVD was top notch IMO.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yes, clean-up and dirt fixes would be a necessity for this title. The DVD is great-looking given the limitations of the format, but those limitations would obviously be magnified in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks