What's new

FFXI and HDD details announced (1 Viewer)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I doubt we have full figures, if you totaled up the number of people playing all the MMORPGS you'd find quite a few. And keep in mind games that sell 1 million copies are the rarity, and not the norm. A lot of developers are totally happy if they sell 100,000 copies of a game!

Granted FF games have all been huge sellers (since 7) I'd wait and see what the numbers are for FFXI when it comes out.

Given just HOW many people are playing SWG that have never played another MMORPG and wouldn't be surprised if FFXI does the same for the console market. Many of my friends who play MMORPGS figure the monthly fee is a wash, since your playing that game instead of buying a new $50 game every month or two.

There will be people who refuse to play an MMORPG, there will always be Single player games as well. But it's been proven there's A LOT more money in MMORPGS then in single releases. Why do you think Blizzard is doing WoW???

And as far as paying to have extra characters... if you played the game you'd understand that a bit better. One character in FFXI can do EVERYTHING, the job system is very flexible. The additional characters would only be if you wanted to play a different race.. however the game is SO huge you really would have no reason to try and play more then one character (other then to frustrate yourself :))

I've learned time and time again that it's the rare case where money is the stopping factor in whether or not you buy / play a game, if you want it you WILL get it.. (Steel battalion is a GREAT example, compute how long you could play FFXI for the cost of that game... even if you had to buy the modem!) Lastly the HUGE draw to MMORPG is dynamic content. NO WHERE ELSE will you find a game that will keep you busy for 1000s of hours!

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
Just FYI, Lineage has over 2 million active korean accounts. And if we assumed $10 a month, thats over $20 million a month. Not to mention the number of years its been out and raking in that kinda cash.

That doesn't even include the next popular games down the list Everquest, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, DAOC.

MMORPGs are BIG business, and the wave of the future. I believe soon MMORPGs we be extremely common among our society and much more accepted in general. In fact game developers will probably make less and less if any games that do not include some sort of online support.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Just make the HD blue, slap a sticker of Yuna on it & call it a really big collector's memory card. Sales will skyrocket. =)

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks